Thailand: International Tourism May Take Years To Recover – Analysis

Jonathan Fairfield

Tomorrow , new estimates ... 10 million visitors by April 2022 expected .

For the real latest estimates , i think was 1 million visitors by April , if im correct ? 50.000 applications were made , knowing who it is , nobody of them would be real tourists , and also knowing that these were people who couldn't wait to come Thailand . It is like the opening of a new bar/shop/... 1st days are busy , after it falls back to more normal numbers . I think they must be lucky if they get 300-400k

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Good article.......could have been written by (m)any of the people who frequently post on TV.

Thanks, so I won't read it, as I can assume it says that the November 1 "reopening" was indeed a bad case of premature ejaculation which might impair subsequent intercourse with foreign visitors.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

There has been a whole range of guesstimates made by the Tourist Authority of Thailand (TAT) about how many tourists will visit Thailand in 2021 and 2022, that have been optimistically predicted. However, these have been based more on hope than the reality of an unpredictable tourism environment because of surging worldwide Covid-19 cases and corresponding border restrictions across much of the world

Delete "may" and insert "will".. 

4 hours ago, RmcaIssan said:

Initial post ..perfect summary.

Music festival in Pattaya last week ..all bars closed ..well unless to watch football in a bar it will be food and a soft drink .. Pattaya it's is decimated.

These festivals are organised for the Bangkok people who never visit Pattaya bars and agogos anyway. Many more mass events  planned for the Bangkok visitors to Pattaya this month (fireworks etc.). 

Edited by Zikomat
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, PranBuriThai said:

Thailand is going to pursue a very aggressive near zero approach to Covid.

Haven't they just opened up air travel to/from some of the most highly infected countries in the world.......UK for one!

Doesn't strike me as being a "very aggressive near zero approach to Covid".

Wait on....is this sarcasm?

Edited by Will B Good
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

Haven't they just opened up air travel to/from some of the most highly infected countries in the world.......UK for one!

Doesn't strike me as being a "very aggressive near zero approach to Covid".

Wait on....is this sarcasm?

Your tested on arrival, quarantined for one night and taken to hospital if you, or the people near you on your flight, test positive.

That's why nobody is coming to Thailand.

Newsflash!!!!

Nightlife not officially opening until (possibly) 15th January.

Newsflash!!!!

Many people cancel or postpone their trip.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

With a steadily rising Baht, it doesn’t look good for international tourism, local expats or even exports.  Fix the Baht first.  Then things will start to improve.

Yup! This is a major hurdle to any recovery for tourist sector and exports

• Like 1

It’ll never recover pre-pandemic levels. People just won’t want to travel as much due to the worry of covid, the hassle and rising air fares. What’s the point? Going forward, It will mostly be Chinese groups visiting a sterile, overly-policed state, which is what they want. 

• Like 1