Thailand: International Tourism May Take Years To Recover – Analysis

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, PranBuriThai said:

Your tested on arrival, quarantined for one night and taken to hospital if you, or the people near you on your flight, test positive.

That's why nobody is coming to Thailand.

Newsflash!!!!

Nightlife not officially opening until (possibly) 15th January.

Newsflash!!!!

Many people cancel or postpone their trip.

I read there were 6 million coming from the UK Q4.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PranBuriThai said:

That's why nobody is coming to Thailand.

Strikes me it might have been better (on sooooooo many levels), not to invite these people in the first place........rather than invite them and but make Thailand so uninviting they don't come....

................not a good look for the future.

Edited by Will B Good

6 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Thanks, so I won't read it, as I can assume it says that the November 1 "reopening" was indeed a bad case of premature ejaculation which might impair subsequent intercourse with foreign visitors.

You mean subsequent shafting of foreign visitors!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

But really, if you're not involved with or don't live in a tourist dense area of Thailand, the lack of tourism or the restrictions are IMO negligible.

Fine if you never leave your rural backwater.  But if you wish, as I do, to go occasionaly to the big smoke for a check-up by one's preferred dentists, see an excellent traditional-medcine doctor, visit favourite restaurants, stay in cheap and homely private hotels and guest houses, go window-shopping, and have a break just mixing with the crowds, there may not be so much choice without the tourists.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ericbj said:

Fine if you never leave your rural backwater.  But if you wish, as I do, to go occasionaly to the big smoke for a check-up by one's preferred dentists, see an excellent traditional-medcine doctor, visit favourite restaurants, stay in cheap and homely private hotels and guest houses, go window-shopping, and have a break just mixing with the crowds, there may not be so much choice without the tourists.

It's even easier to do all the things you mention.

I went to Krabi and had beaches and islands almost to myself, water and beaches were the cleanest in many many years, what's not to like. Hotels were cheap and there was a few restaraunts opens and a few people about to mingle with.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PranBuriThai said:

As obvious as the nose on your face.

Only people who can't see it are the resident Thai huggers on the forum.

Thailand is going to pursue a very aggressive near zero approach to Covid.

opening up to arrivals from abroad while double vaccinations at home are around 50% of the population, and many public venues closed due to the virus, is hardly zero tolerance.

14 hours ago, Karma80 said:

This shouldn't be news to anyone and you could insert any countries name into that article heading.

Global mass tourism will take years to recover, if it returns to pre-pandemic levels at all.

It is absolutely astounding to see, but it is true.  We have quarantine free travel here for fully inoculated and it has simply not returned to anything other than a sad trickle.  

Honestly, I don't see it coming back to pre pandemic levels for ten plus years.  

It's sad to see but travel will be anything but a difficult venture for many years to come.  We need the whole planet to get vaccinated, and the vaccinated can travel afterwards.  

4 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Imagine a Thailand with 50% less foreign tourists and residents.

Heaven.

Well look at it now, what is it 99 percent less foreign tourists?  99.9 percent?  It's a ghost town.  

Tourism in Thailand was horrid pre-pandemic, I agree with you there.  It was not fun to travel there.  It was chinese disneyland.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

But really, if you're not involved with or don't live in a tourist dense area of Thailand, the lack of tourism or the restrictions are IMO negligible.

Problem is that it's a little more complicated that.

So much of the Thai economy is in the gray area and not reported.

So many of those employed in tourism industry were sending money home.

They then probably traded a decent income into a fraction of that selling bbq chicken on the side of the road back home in the village.

So even though you don't see the 'in your face' effect, pretty sure the trickle down is pretty devastating

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Problem is that it's a little more complicated that.

So much of the Thai economy is in the gray area and not reported.

So many of those employed in tourism industry were sending money home.

They then probably traded a decent income into a fraction of that selling bbq chicken on the side of the road back home in the village.

So even though you don't see the 'in your face' effect, pretty sure the trickle down is pretty devastating

But what you mention has no impact on my life - zero.

I don't look forward to any scenario which has the Chinese tourists return en mass. But, I do suspect that's not going to be a reality for long, long time. 

Thailand's efforts to attract tourists have no impact on the underlying factors of the pandemic response fundamentals in China of zero covid. That precludes travel without draconian quarantine and restrictions. 

They can't do that forever, some might say. But, it suits the PRC government during a period of engineered political, social and monetary policy shift. The airlines are flying domestically, money is being spent within the country and not exported. What's not to like for China? That's not a short term project.

And that will leave poor Thailand with the scraps of tourism from the motivated travellers elsewhere looking to escape their own country as covid waves wash over them again. The smart thing, and a first for Asia, would be to have a remote worker visa and let people here stay medium term and suck foreign money into the economy.

But, this government isn't smart and lacks the tools to see past a return to history that cannot come again.

• Like 2

From Chinese state media 3 Nov 21

Chinese tourists may be able to travel abroad by the end of next year, said Zhong Nanshan, China's top epidemiologist, when answering a question from CGTN anchor Liu Xin regarding new developments in the COVID-19 pandemic and any light at the end of the tunnel.