Thai energy minister defends 30 baht/litre price for diesel

webfact

25F67298-434D-4A65-AA22-C5B1814A8202.jpg

Thailand’s energy minister Supattanapong Punmeechaow has defended the government’s decision to cap the retail price of diesel fuel at 30 baht/litre, saying that this price has been maintained for more than a decade by several governments, including the Prayut administration.

Speaking ahead of a planned rally tomorrow (Tuesday), by about 500 truck drivers affiliated with the Land Transport Federation of Thailand in front of the energy ministry to demand the diesel price to be capped at 25 baht/litre, Supattanapong said that the demand is nothing new and that the energy ministry has already clarified its position numerous times, especially on the use of the Oil Fund to help relieve the impact of diesel prices on consumers.

He maintained that the actual diesel price today should be more than 30 baht/litre, but the Prayut administration and its predecessors have been trying to maintain it at 30 baht.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-energy-minister-defends-30-baht-litre-price-for-diesel/

Logo-top-.png
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He maintained that the actual diesel price today should be more than 30 baht/litre, but the Prayut administration and its predecessors have been trying to maintain it at 30 baht.

Trying is right,my last 3 visits to different stations has see the prices all above 30 baht.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Trying is right,my last 3 visits to different stations has see the prices all above 30 baht.

Being a motorist myself, I am also concerned about the fact that Diesel does not appear to be holding at 30 Baht / Liter.

However, the reality is that the cost of the Fuel only reflects the costs to purchase the Crude, and refining costs.

Bear in mind that the Fuel has to sell at a price where it can self finance the purchase of crude going forward, and with the Oil prices predicted to reach as much as 100 $ / barrel soon, 30 Baht seems realistic.

I feel sorry for those that have a Car / pickup Truck, yet have no money to get Fuel for it, and are resorting to a Motorcycle, but as the saying goes " dont buy a Roller if you cant afford to fill it up and change the Oil. "

18 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Trying is right, my last 3 visits to different stations has see the prices all above 30 baht.

I believe that the 30 baht per litre is the price in BKK.

Retailers are allowed 1 baht per litre extra outside of BKK.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Being a motorist myself, I am also concerned about the fact that Diesel does not appear to be holding at 30 Baht / Liter.

However, the reality is that the cost of the Fuel only reflects the costs to purchase the Crude, and refining costs.

Bear in mind that the Fuel has to sell at a price where it can self finance the purchase of crude going forward, and with the Oil prices predicted to reach as much as 100 $ / barrel soon, 30 Baht seems realistic.

I feel sorry for those that have a Car / pickup Truck, yet have no money to get Fuel for it, and are resorting to a Motorcycle, but as the saying goes " dont buy a Roller if you cant afford to fill it up and change the Oil. "

What is in question is, why are Fuel stations selling above 30 baht when it appears the government are subsidizing it

25 minutes ago, Almer said:

What is in question is, why are Fuel stations selling above 30 baht when it appears the government are subsidizing it

I believe that the 30 baht per litre is the price in BKK.

Retailers are allowed 1 baht per litre extra outside of BKK.

• Like 1