Condos - what's your experience of getting your deposit back?

Approaching the end of a 1-year contract on a condo and will be leaving after completing it without damage

I paid 2 months as a deposit, where I assume 50% went to an agent

To those who have rented this way, have you had issues getting the deposit back when leaving? Should the full 2 months be returned on time, or can they say 50% was an agent fee?

The agent fee is the landlords expense ,in theory you should

get your 2 months deposit back, in reality they may find something

to not do that, it is advisable to take photos of the condition of the

premises after you move in , so the landlord cannot say you broke

this or that. good luck

regards worgeordie

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I stayed at a guesthouse and got the full month deposit back, from a Thai, a very honest lady

yeah that's quite different

she will have a load of customers paying her rent each month, and only needs to return 1 month deposit

this is a condo with 1 owner, hopefully they can come up with the cash

36 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

yeah that's quite different

she will have a load of customers paying her rent each month, and only needs to return 1 month deposit

this is a condo with 1 owner, hopefully they can come up with the cash

Yes, I'm a landlord in UK and I'm glad the deposit is kept in a 3rd party account which means I don't have to refund the deposit out of my bank account. They should do that here

• Like 1

We've rented 4 houses along the way....

In each case we received our deposit back ... We've never had a issue or  problem....

The last house had a 3 year lease = we gave notice and left after one year.....

The owner was gracious & returned 1/2 the deposit when he could have kept the entire amount....

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

Depends, if you rented from a thai kiss it goodbye.

Same principle for a loan and substantial one at that and they state it was a gift. Disgusting and part of the extended family and the one owing it passes it on to another relative but not back to you.
Yes and they have lots of land and drive upmarket cars like a merc!!1

• Confused 1

I always engage an agent and make videos of the entire place. Last time I wasn't careful enough - the landlord accused me stealing some spoons and breaking plates, so he kept a little over 10K baht. Next time I will also video every damned piece of silverware, pots & pans, etc.

Otherwise, I have found in other countries to just consider the deposit gone.

• Like 1

First rental got my deposit back about 1 month later less electric bill. Second rental got back 1 month later less electric bill and cost to repair a varnished dresser top  that my Acqua Di Gio Pour Homme left a stain ring. 

Set our stall out from the off.

Kept in contact with the landlord, always very polite, reported any problems promptly (not as complaints but as a matter of due diligence). Left the place spotless, all bills paid, all keys handed in.

Basically be a good tenant and keep the landlord on-side.

Deposit returned within seven days.

Obviously not all tenants or all landlords behave in a professional manner!!!! We might have just dropped lucky.

I have lived here for 7 years now and have rented 4 different places (condo & homes).  Out of all 4 places I always received back 100% of my deposit. I never had any issues with any of my landlords. Before I moved, I made sure the place were clean, air con serviced and no damage to anything. And all bills paid up to date. I gave them no reason to have to hold back any part of my deposit. All of my deposits were large sums. My deposits ran from 40,000 to 80,000 baht, depending on the place I rented. And they all paid my back within a 2 week period.

There are good and bad on both sides of the fence.

Its often a <deleted> shoot and you wont know until you know.

There are good and bad stories in both directions.

You can only do your bit, and hope the Landlord does theirs.

Good luck !

Rented possibly 20+ condos over the 30 years I've lived winters in Bangkok and other places - Never had an issue with any landlord and always had all of the deposits returned minus the outstanding utility bills. 

I've always found renting accommodation in Thailand much easier than almost everywhere else I've lived/worked etc,. so always relaxed about renting in Thailand

14 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

To those who have rented this way, have you had issues getting the deposit back when leaving? Should the full 2 months be returned on time, or can they say 50% was an agent fee?

I got mine but the landlord deducted 5K because my daughter (2 years old) wrote all over the walls.