O or OA visa for retired people with homes in Thailand and UK - am I missing something please? And insurance!

So we have had an OA visa for the last two years which held us in good stead during the pandemic.  It is due to lapse in March and my husband is now over 75 so appropriate Thailand insurance might be tricky to find - any ideas?   We have unlimited BUPA coverage so this is merely for the purpose of getting a visa.  (Previously we had an annual multiple entry visa which worked fine but no longer seems to exist hence why we opted for OA.)

We spoke briefly to a lawyer and she recommended we let this OA visa lapse and re-apply in the UK for an O visa.  This also conveniently gets rid of the hassle of having 800K each tied up in Thailand.   Sounded good. 

However looking at the Thai Embassy site in London it only appears to offer single entry versions.  As we use Thailand as a base for travel (well we used to and are hoping to return to something resembling the good old days) this would not be in any way convenient.    I am sure I am wrong or missing something? 

We are happy to do visa runs every 90 days if need be as we don't intend to spend much above six weeks on any one trip.   Thanks in anticipation. 

A new Non-OA visa will require 3 million baht of insurance that also covers covid 19.

You will certainly need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months to apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement. 

You will find that getting a multiple entry non-o visa difficult to get. Before covid 19 the were some official consulates in neighboring countries that were issuing them if you could provide financial proof but it did not have to be in a Thai bank or proof of 65k baht income.

We have no problem paying for the insurance if we can find it?   I have been given a contact and will report back to the forum if successful but if in the meantime anyone has any input would be grateful.

Have also been told if we come in on a single entry O visa we can apply for a 12 month extension with multiple entry.  For us this would be a great option - possible?

On 11/18/2021 at 11:50 PM, Marjf said:

Have also been told if we come in on a single entry O visa we can apply for a 12 month extension with multiple entry.  For us this would be a great option - possible?

You can enter with a non-o visa and then apply a one year extension of stay based upon retirement. Then after the extension is approved you could apply for a multiple re-entry permit for a fee of 3800 baht.

You will need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months on the day your apply or proof of 65k baht income.

What ubonjoe mentioned is what I am contemplating doing in Feb/March next year. I am thinking to leave Thailand in mid Feb (a week before my permission to stay expires on my current Type-OA visa) and hopefully return to Thailand in mid-March, under a 30-day tourist visa exempt.  

I assume I will need to get 30-days COVID insurance and meet all the other Thailand Pass requirements for my return.  I suspect < not sure > before leaving Canada for Thailand, I may need to show a future ticket leaving Thailand.  Hence I may buy a Thailand-to-Cambodia inexpensive one way ticket (with the flight timed a few weeks after my arrival in Thailand) . Then I will just not use that inexpensive ticket.  

@ Marjf, if I am correct, you also may need to consider getting a throw away ticket (to leave Thailand), if you enter on a 'visa exempt'.  < I am not sure > ...  A throw-away ticket is a lot cheaper than the (duplicate for me) Health Insurance, as I already have great health insurance, but its not recognized by Thailand for my Type-OA

Once in Thailand on the 30-day Visa exempt, I plan to go to immigration and apply for a 90-day Type-O visa.  Then 30-to-45 (?) days before the permission to stay on that new Type-O visa expires, approach immigration and apply for a 1-year permission to stay based on retirement.

i already have the required amount in a Thai bank, but likely before leaving Thailand in Feb next year, I will check with the local immigration to see if they will accept that in March for a permission to stay on a new Type-O Visa - as the money has been in Thailand for years, so to show it coming into Thailand is not so simple anymore.

That's my tentative plan at present - but the situation appears to be dynamic - so I am watching best I can to see if requirements evolve.

Edited by oldcpu

Thanks oldcpu.  I never thought of coming back on a 30 day exempt.  This would suit well as getting to London is a pain and I don't fancy entrusting my passport to the mail.   I will use airmiles if I need a return flight anywhere as they are fully refundable but in fifteen years coming in and out of Thailand on various visas up to six times a year I've never been asked.  Not sure if it is just luck ????    

My OA expires on the 13th of March - and my flight in arrives the 14th (lots of reasons not flexible) - so guessing no point in getting a re-entry before we leave Thailand? 

8 minutes ago, Marjf said:

Thanks oldcpu.  I never thought of coming back on a 30 day exempt.  This would suit well as getting to London is a pain and I don't fancy entrusting my passport to the mail. 

You do not have to go the embassy anymore. You do it all on the e visa site and they send a stickerless visa by email now.

See: https://thaievisa.go.th/