New honda for cash, any discount off retail price?

dannyb123

I'm considering the new civic rs which retails at 1,199,900 baht. I've read thai car dealers are difficult to negotiate with and prefer to throw in freebies. If I play a few dealers off each other what is the maximum discount I should expect to achieve (if any)? I would be paying cash as finance options are not available to me

Edited by dannyb123

Cash is no longer king. You don't qualify as you say, but there is significant dealer commission in finance, also with an eligible thai (read anyone) they will also push other insurance products - gold/cashback-at-end worthless life assurance etc.. all nice commission generating that they'd happily discount on the chassis.

• Like 2

The only decent freebie is the 1yr insurance and you get that regardless of payment method, the tinted windows are lowest grade, the mats are <deleted>, the half tank of petrol is okay, the valet is unnecessary, the 1hr demonstration on handover pointless

• Haha 2

The sales have a 'margin' of what they can work with, usually this turns out in the forms of 'feebies' thrown in from floor mats to tinting and body kits, which they can get at trade price because they're often cheap to appear better value when they quote the 'worth' to you. if they can close the sale with what they offer, they might pocket the difference.

If you can find a salesperson willing to work, you can have cash discount instead 

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I did this a year ago.

No special discount for paying cash in fact  dealers dislike cash customers and some will refuse to sell on that basis ( or use passive aggressive techniwues to get rid of you). This is apparently because dealers make most of their profit from the financing.

Thatsaid I did find differences among dealers both in price and in free add ons.

I ultimately did best in Bangkok at Honda Ekamai. Much better than any of the upcpuntry dealers plus unlike the latter they could speak English.

Good advice.

Always best to shop around - a lot

14 hours ago, asiam110 said:

Cash is no longer king. You don't qualify as you say, but there is significant dealer commission in finance, also with an eligible thai (read anyone) they will also push other insurance products - gold/cashback-at-end worthless life assurance etc.. all nice commission generating that they'd happily discount on the chassis.

"discount on the chassis." I would have thought any discount would have been on the whole car !

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Honda are the worst for discounts. You would think with the pand... they would be eager for more sales. They didn't offer me a single satang off. I got more when i bought the tgf a Honda motorbike.

This is true...even at the Motor Expo last year their discounts were less of a % than the other dealers. The Honda is seen in some ways as the entry level HISO car by Thais who aspire to be HISO (at least that was the analysis by the GF...her best friend owns a Honda ....so she perhaps was speaking about her....ha ha ha)

• Haha 1

Strange. In the US right now there is a huge shortage of new cars, and used cars are commanding a high premium. In Thailand, it seems they are having a very hard time moving new cars. Yet, the margins are thin, and few will discount.

We managed to get zero percent interest, nano ceramic film, a year of insurance, and free paint selection (usually a 16,000 baht premium) on our new Mazda SUV. And we insisted on a full tank of gas. LOL.

Great car! 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Strange. In the US right now there is a huge shortage of new cars, and used cars are commanding a high premium. In Thailand, it seems they are having a very hard time moving new cars. Yet, the margins are thin, and few will discount.

We managed to get zero percent interest, nano ceramic film, a year of insurance, and free paint selection (usually a 16,000 baht premium) on our new Mazda SUV. And we insisted on a full tank of gas. LOL.

Great car! 

The problem globally is a shortage of chips made in China and Taiwan for autos. I'm not sure why this affects the US and not Thailand....next month at the  Motor expo we'll see if they are sticking with list pricing..last year big discounts....if there indeed is a global shortage then there should not be any reason for discounting. Stay tuned....

• Like 1

I just purchased a Mazda 2 SP   in September (Mazda dealer in  Bowin -Chonburi

)-  Retail 710000.  Discount 40000 baht + about 20000 baht in accessories + i added a few other things- grand total 660000 Baht drive away.

Discounts out there if you shop

8 minutes ago, tonray said:

The problem globally is a shortage of chips made in China and Taiwan for autos. I'm not sure why this affects the US and not Thailand....next month at the  Motor expo we'll see if they are sticking with list pricing..last year big discounts....if there indeed is a global shortage then there should not be any reason for discounting. Stay tuned....

In the UK it has had a knock on effect with used cars. In the last three months used car prices have risen by 27% on average.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

In the UK it has had a knock on effect with used cars. In the last three months used car prices have risen by 27% on average.

Yes...same in the USA...and I'm told by a friend who is a frequent business traveler that it's become nearly impossible to rent a car without a month advance booking when he travels. The car rental agencies let their inventory go down during the pandemic and now they cannot buy replacements to rent.

I'm in the market for a new car and have found that good deals are available but mostly on cars due for replacement soon,e.g. Mazda 2 and Toyota Yaris, I really want to buy the Honda city hybrid for cash but all the Honda dealers I've been to won't even throw in insurance but told me that I could have their insurance for 25k,roojai quoted 15k, also I would have to wait at least a month for a blue one! TIT I suppose.

Having just just bought a Honda City Hatchback for my daughter.  Despite shopping many dealers, they do NOT offer any discounts period.  What other brands offer as 'freebies' Honda charges for.  In fact it was about an extra 23K for insurance, window tint, side window rain deflectors, trunk (if that's what you call it) liner, floor mats and a car cover.  Granted these were all high quality accessories.  I miss my Chevrolet dealer!  And, the white color was an extra 10K option.  Go figure!

Edited by dlclark97

1 hour ago, Hitcho56 said:

I just purchased a Mazda 2 SP   in September (Mazda dealer in  Bowin -Chonburi

)-  Retail 710000.  Discount 40000 baht + about 20000 baht in accessories + i added a few other things- grand total 660000 Baht drive away.

Discounts out there if you shop

yeah similar deal on Mazda2 at the Motor Expo last year....40 K off and similar accessories. Honda is the stingiest however.

17 hours ago, asiam110 said:

The only decent freebie is the 1yr insurance and you get that regardless of payment method, the tinted windows are lowest grade, the mats are <deleted>, the half tank of petrol is okay, the valet is unnecessary, the 1hr demonstration on handover pointless

Well on top of the free insurance I managed to get, decent tint on all windows which I selected, side and rear body kits and rear spoiler with brake light, decent mats, shark fin aerial, leather seats, waxing/polishing and underside waterproofing respray for 2 years, cushion and a teddy bear. No demo etc needed. All in all a very good service when I bought the Honda Jazz for cash in Bangkok and then as we have moved, very good service etc from Honda Chumphon. Would buy again.