Danish entrepreneur plays monopoly in Thai hotel market

webfact

There's no doubt that Thailand, a beautiful country, will be back to it's former glory, the question are within how long and what will be the costs of the country and the business people who were heavily invested in tourism and tourism related industries... 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The days are very long but try getting 20 hotels ready to function at once. It’s a big handful,” Toke Terkelsen says.

To be able to manage so many hotels he needs a good crew .

Hard to find in Thailand .

Edited by nobodysfriend
  • Like 1

Wasn't that the name of George C Scott's character in Dr Strangelove?

Okay, seriously, vulture capitalism and bottom fishing can be immensely profitable, but one must be very selective. A return to the past is an unknown at this point, as we've never experienced a worldwide collective experience like this one. Wars end and people make up, and the 1918 epidemic came well before int'l travel was the norm. This is uncharted territory. It's a parlor game guessing when the average person will feel comfortable enough to travel again---and that only when entry-exit become easier.

That being said, some assumptions can be made. I would say the 'tourist' most likely to return is the single male, because the drives that bring that demographic to Thailand are eternal. Thus I might concentrate on Bangkok (Pattaya remains up in the air as a major family seems intent on carrying out its own rebranding of that city). In Bangkok, I would look inside the square represented by Siam to Thong Lo, Petchburi Rd to Rama 4, as that area allows access to Nana and Asoke. The major chains within that square have the fat to endure, but there are one-offs and possible boutique hotels that could be interesting. Also, restaurants within that square should fare well.

The next demo that might return is the snowbird...folks escaping the frigid winters of some parts of the US and EU. Backpackers might be a third demo, as the young feel themselves invulnerable, so they will have little fear of getting sick, plus the trend in that age group is still geared toward 'experience' (so they can post on FB or TikTok).

I would bet the family vacation is a thing of the past, and folks will remain closer to home.....Grand Canyon instead of Thailand. I think some of the old supposed 'major draws'---food, temples, shopping---are less of a draw now, as its a cost-benefit decision with a touch of fear. The impetus, it seems to me, will be 1) the biological imperative, 2) escape bad winters, and 3) the millennial 'experience'.

Edited by Walker88
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Quote - "entrepreneur plays monopoly"

Pair Of Dice Next To The CHANCE Card Drawing Space In A Monopoly Game Board  Stock Photo, Picture And Royalty Free Image. Image 36631455.

Not sure if there's a Thai version of Monopoly. 

Walking Street and Soi Buakaeow don't hold quite the same charm and desirability as Mayfair and Park Lane.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

Toke Terkelsen? With all these funds available to him, he really should invest in changing his name to something more snappy.

You know...

Helpy Helperton

Busby Busy

Goody Goodman

Freeby Frisby

Oh, and please get rid of those pink shorts. Pretty pleaaase!

MonopolyBob PinkPants

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Is there an  Old Bent Road in Patts. there should be ?

Boyz Town is as close as we get to it.  You need Boyz Town, Soi 6, and Soi 13/2 before you can erect anything on them.  But rents these days are somewhat difficult to come by.

It will be a race for him, either the tourists come back and he can hope to make money, or they don't and he'll keep bleeding money until he's dry and has to sell/go bankrupt. Time will tell.

As he is trying to revive the hotel industry (yes, for his own profit), I hope that he makes it.

And I sure hope he is not scamming his investors somehow, crazier things have happened...

8 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Toke Terkelsen? With all these funds available to him, he really should invest in changing his name to something more snappy.

You know...

Helpy Helperton

Busby Busy

Goody Goodman

Freeby Frisby

Oh, and please get rid of those pink shorts. Pretty pleaaase!

Toker Tokerson would be a good name once marijuana is legalised and the weed tourists start coming.