Mbike Thai licence

pixelaoffy

The DVLT... is on Hwy 36.... take Sukhumvit North out of Pattaya, about 8km right at the flyover onto Hwy 36 (for Rayong). About 5km on the right just before The Regents School. (U-Turn.....carefully)

Up  the road after the 7-11.

https://goo.gl/maps/quJGq3AyFtrVxGxQ9

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The DVLT... is on Hwy 36.... take Sukhumvit North out of Pattaya, about 8km right at the flyover onto Hwy 36 (for Rayong). About 5km on the right just before The Regents School. (U-Turn.....carefully)

Up  the road after the 7-11.

https://goo.gl/maps/quJGq3AyFtrVxGxQ9

Ok. So no public transport to the location?

2 hours ago, johng said:

if you have a UK licence to drive a bike it will be much easier as you wont have to do the theory or practical test (just eyesight and reaction test)

Most Thais just drive their bikes ti the test center licenced or not.

I didn't think I had to do any test. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

Reading all the I'll forget it ! Certified documents from embassy,?  

This is Thailand Buddy. You have to comprehend Thinglish and take the path of least resistance.  I'll translate:

1. Copy of your passport. Sign the copy. Take your original with you.

2. A Cert of Residence  - Get it from the immigration office.  Take evidence of your address (lease etc. even a hotel card and a receipt or something showing your name and address) and a passport photo and your passport and a signed copy. They give you the Certificate the next day.  Forget the cost - maybe 1900B.

3. Medical Cert - go to any clinic (the one 80M from your hotel/condo is easiest) and tell them you are applying for a license.  They'll ask you if you are sane (reply in the affirmative) and you get the cert.  Usually 500B

4. IDL - if you have one for a MC, take it and a copy. (Note:  the website says take an "invalid copy" of the IDL.  That's Thinglish for "take in a valid copy") If all you have is foreign MC license written in English, take it and a copy.  Otherwise you do all/some of the tests as stated, depends on which way the wind blows that day.

The rest is (or should be) self explanatory.  You'll need a bike if you have to do the riding test. Provided you don't hit the tester or bang into something (and even that's probably allowed once),  you will pass.

Alternatively, use google and find one of the many agents that will facilitate all the above for you and hold your hand on the day for a small fee.  It's as confusing as hell when you get there and if you don't speak at least basic Thai you will be going around in circles. I know a dude that went 3 times before he even figured out where to queue - mind you he was tossed out the first time for throwing Farang fit of frustration.

Edited by Gsxrnz

Wonder if any Brits know the answer to this question please?!

I have the "old style" U.K. driving license, (green and pink paper one). On that, it says can  you can

drive motorbikes up to 250 cc (Ive never taken a motorbike test in the U.K. but back in the day we could drive up to a 250 cc on L plates).

Would I get a motorbike license on the basis of that?  I usually just use an international driving license..........car one, not for a motorbike!

10 hours ago, welshguy said:

Would I get a motorbike license on the basis of that?  I usually just use an international driving license..........car one, not for a motorbike!

Probably not...but if you could get an  IDP (international drivers permit)   that  mentions motorcycle on it  they might  if you are lucky  give  you a bike licence without having to do the "full Monty"    so no theory and practical driving tests  just the eyesight and reaction test.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, johng said:

Probably not...but if you could get an  IDP (international drivers permit)   that  mentions motorcycle on it  they might  if you are lucky  give  you a bike licence without having to do the "full Monty"    so no theory and practical driving tests  just the eyesight and reaction test.

Thanks for that,

I feared that would  be the case!

Next time I come over ("hopefully"! in February!) I will see if I can try and blag them into putting motorbike up to 250cc on the I.D.P.!

20 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

Provide motorbike ?

I'm confident they can arrange a motorbike for the test. Be prepared to pay a small fee to the bikes owner. (They loaned me their car for the car license)

Call Tik Tok and make an appointment to meet them at their office on Chayapruek Road, one block from Beach Rd. and ask your questions.

They will need your info (passport) to arrange the resident certificate.

I stopped by a clinic and picked up the health certificate before I went to see them. Only takes a few minutes.

Edited by LarrySR

13 minutes ago, welshguy said:

Thanks for that,

Next time I come over ("hopefully"! in February!) I will see if I can try and blag them into putting motorbike up to 250cc on the I.D.P.!

Another thing to consider is getting the newer plastic  UK licence,  as long as it shows a  little motorcycle  symbol for any category even provisional the Thai DLT will most likely think you have a motorcycle licence and so  no "Full Monty"

The problem with the plastic licence though is that it needs to be renewed every ten years  whereas the paper ones are valid until age of 75   once you go plastic there is no going back to paper  so something to think about.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, johng said:

Another thing to consider is getting the newer plastic  UK licence,  as long as it shows a  little motorcycle  symbol for any category even provisional the Thai DLT will most likely think you have a motorcycle licence and so  no "Full Monty"

The problem with the plastic licence though is that it needs to be renewed every ten years  whereas the paper ones are valid until age of 75   once you go plastic there is no going back to paper  so something to think about.

The reason I didnt get the "newer" license with the photo, was because I knew there would be a catch to it.........There was!  As you say you have to pay to renew it every year.

Im 61 now though! So I may well get one, if it could possibly help in Thailand!

Cheers!

22 hours ago, welshguy said:

Wonder if any Brits know the answer to this question please?!

I have the "old style" U.K. driving license, (green and pink paper one). On that, it says can  you can

drive motorbikes up to 250 cc (Ive never taken a motorbike test in the U.K. but back in the day we could drive up to a 250 cc on L plates).

The International one usually reflects the groups you are allowed to drive and hence should already include motorcycles..... 

• Like 1

OP, it used to be the case where some DLTs would give a bike license based on the moped/learner bike endorsement on a UK license.

That is no longer the case, nowadays they are all aware that its not a bike license.

You wont get an IDP showing bike either.

13 hours ago, welshguy said:

Thanks for that,

OP, it used to be the case where some DLTs would give a bike license based on the moped/learner bike endorsement on a UK license.

That is no longer the case, nowadays they are all aware that its not a bike license.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

My IDP issued in the UK some years ago  had separate boxes for groups that were meant to be stamped in, if original UK licence showed that the owner was qualified in that group. The current one is very similar. 

• Like 1