Entering Thailand On Visa Exempt Changing To Type O Visa For Marriage

I am traveling to Thailand in January arriving using the visa exempt. Before my 30 days were up I had planned to go to my nearest Thai Immigration office and request to apply for a Type O Multiple Entry Visa for Marriage for one year. Since not be able to do border runs every 90 days are we allowed to just check in again at the same immigration office instead of the border run?

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The non-o visa issued by immigration is only valid to use on the day it is issued and immigration does a 90 day permit to stay stamp. Requirements for the visa application is here: https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/6.pdf

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day stay you can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration. On the day you apply you will need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

After the visa is issued you can get a single (1000 baht) or multiple (3800 baht) re-entry permit to keep the extension valid if you want to travel.

Can you still entry on visa exempt and change it before it expires to a Type O visa at Thai Immigration?

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The non-o visa issued by immigration is only valid to use on the day it is issued and immigration does a 90 day permit to stay stamp. Requirements for the visa application is here: https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/6.pdf

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day stay you can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration. On the day you apply you will need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

After the visa is issued you can get a single (1000 baht) or multiple (3800 baht) re-entry permit to keep the extension valid if you want to travel.

Exactly what I didi ..30 ..90 ..marriage visa 

Significant paper work required ..even on 'renewal' ..managed to get up to 32 pages !!! They seriously love paper, stamps and signatures ..

1 minute ago, RmcaIssan said:

Exactly what I didi ..30 ..90 ..marriage visa 

Significant paper work required ..even on 'renewal' ..managed to get up to 32 pages !!! They seriously love paper, stamps and signatures ..

So if I understand the answer is yes. But all paper work has to be submitted 15 days before the visa exempt ends?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

......I  had planned to go to my nearest Thai Immigration office and request to apply for a Type O Multiple Entry Visa for Marriage for one year.

Your referring to multiple entry one year based on marriage.

These previously were popular and you needed to exit every 90 days (if you did not obtain extension) and reenter and receive another 90 days.

Many folk obtained them at Savannakhet etc.

That's not possible inside Thailand.

You will obtain a non O based on marriage and then apply for 12 month extension.

If you exit and wish to reenter you will need to buy a reentry permit.

Multiple or single.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Can you still entry on visa exempt and change it before it expires to a Type O visa at Thai Immigration?

Yes

You can also apply for it during the 30 day extension of a visa exempt entry up to the last 15 days of either one.

Look at the link I posted for info.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Hi Joe,

Is an overseas tax assessment satisfactory proof of income or alternately a Thai bank statement showing more than 40k per month credited from overseas? Actually some months are less than 40k although the average this year has been over 100k.

Thankyou.

14 minutes ago, Woodsie888 said:

Hi Joe,

Is an overseas tax assessment satisfactory proof of income or alternately a Thai bank statement showing more than 40k per month credited from overseas? Actually some months are less than 40k although the average this year has been over 100k.

Thankyou.

The only proof they will accept for the non-o visa application is proof from a embassy.

For the extension they will accept a few months of 40k baht  transfers if it is your first extension and have only been here for a short period of time. 

For the extension the normal is 12 months of transfers from abroad that are at least 40k baht. There is wording in the immigration order for a average but most offices will not accept it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Woodsie888 said:

Hi Joe,

Thankyou.

Use money in bank method.

The irregular monthly amounts won't be accepted. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The only proof they will accept for the non-o visa application is proof from a embassy.

For the extension they will accept a few months of 40k baht  transfers if it is your first extension and have only been here for a short period of time. 

For the extension the normal is 12 months of transfers from abroad that are at least 40k baht. There is wording in the immigration order for a average but most offices will not accept it.

Thanks Joe,

My tax assessments confirming income are from Singapore and as I am not Singaporean I guess I need these certified from the Singapore Embassy or do I ask my own embassy (NZ)?

I am aware a number of Embassies are not doing this nowadays. Not sure about NZ.

What if I enter Thailand on 30 day visa exempt and have to report to Thai immigration 15 days before visa ends to extend and I am suddenly found positive for Covid and dragged off to hospital. Can any sort of extension be done online? So once released from hospital I am not tossed out of the country because I was unable to get to immigration on time.

11 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

What if I enter Thailand on 30 day visa exempt and have to report to Thai immigration 15 days before visa ends to extend and I am suddenly found positive for Covid and dragged off to hospital. Can any sort of extension be done online? So once released from hospital I am not tossed out of the country because I was unable to get to immigration on time.

I am sure you would be out of the hospital before your 30 days ends and then you could apply for the 30 day extension.

If still in the hospital they could help you get up to a 90 day extension done at immigration for medical care.

One possible thing to consider, if entering Thailand on a tourist Visa exempt, is you may need to show an unused flight ticket leaving Thailand (prior to being allowed to board your flight for Thailand) ? 

I don't think this is a requirement for those who have Visas, but for those who no Visa (but are planning on a Visa exempt entry) it may be needed. < unsure > 

You may need to buy a one way flight/ticket from Bangkok to some other city before you fly to Thailand ... maybe a 2,000 baht to 4,000 baht or less one-way ticket from Bangkok to Phnom Penh, or Singapore, or Kuala Lumpur, or other ??

I'm curious if this is accurate? 

I am on a type-OA visa, and I plan to leave Thailand for Canada in February and I will likely do so without a re-entry stamp (so to invalidate the visa).  And when I return from Canada to Thailand in March, I was thinking to come Visa exempt, and then switch to a 90-day Type-O, ... eventually followed by a 1-year permission to stay (on retirement). ... I am starting now to plan the details.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, oldcpu said:

I'm curious if this is accurate? 

I am on a type-OA visa, and I plan to leave Thailand for Canada in February and I will likely do so without a re-entry stamp (so to invalidate the visa).  And when I return from Canada to Thailand in March, I was thinking to come Visa exempt, and then switch to a 90-day Type-O, ... eventually followed by a 1-year permission to stay (on retirement). ... I am starting now to plan the details.

Many airlines will want to see a ticket out of the country within 30 days. A one way ticket to anywhere will be accepted or a temporary onward ticket (search for onward ticket) that many website offer.

No problem to enter visa exempt to apply for a non-o visa based upon retirement at immigration.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Many airlines will want to see a ticket out of the country within 30 days. A one way ticket to anywhere will be accepted or a temporary onward ticket (search for onward ticket) that many website offer.

No problem to enter visa exempt to apply for a non-o visa based upon retirement at immigration.

Thanks. February/March-2022 (when I plan to be out of Thailand) is still a ways off, and things could change ... but I am thinking given the Type-OA has in essence pushed me into getting double insurance (currently double insured from Feb-2021 to Feb-2022) that letting my Type-OA permission to stay in Thailand is a good plan.  If my current excellent Health Insurance (that comes with my pension) was on the Thailand acceptance list, I would likely not consider this plan.

I do confess thou, letting a good permission to stay deliberately expire, does bring with it a degree of 'trepidation'.  lol !  I guess I have not been traveling enough lately and that adds a level of psychological uncertainty.  ... lol !

I will probably purchase a one-way ticket from Bangkok to a neighboring Asian country just prior to my returning to Thailand in March-2022 so to met any such Airline requirements (for entering Thailand Visa Exempt).

• Like 2

UbonJoe

My Retirement extended Non O expires in 3 months.I am leaving Thailand for around 10 weeks.Is my plan to leave on the last day of my retirement extension and then re enter 10 weeks later on a 30 day exemption then convert to Non O and extend on retirement again a realistic plan.

I dont have to pay for 10 weeks of visa and can come back with 1 months insurance rather than 10 months.

Appreciate any thoughts

45 minutes ago, sjd123 said:

I dont have to pay for 10 weeks of visa and can come back with 1 months insurance rather than 10 months

The insurance requirement length of cover is not clear.

I would keep an eye out for up coming reports from posters.

It appears from couple of reports that the permission of stay stamp will reflect you reentry permit and not insurance.

An article by Richard Burrow suggested that a 30 day insurance cover might be sufficient. 

In your situation I would obtain my extension as normal.

Obviously buy a reentry permit.

For return to Thailand obtaining an insurance cover for 30 days to satisfy TP.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can do a statutory declaration the NZ embassy in Bangkok to prove your income.

Hello Joe

I did write to the NZ Embassy this morning and they confirmed I can do this and a IRAS (Singapore) income tax assessment is acceptable proof of income. They are currently closed to walk in traffic due to the current situation and everything can be done via email. They will then EMS the docs to me. The cost is THB 1,760.

This information maybe useful to other members.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, oldcpu said:

Thanks. February/March-2022 (when I plan to be out of Thailand) is still a ways off, and things could change ... but I am thinking given the Type-OA has in essence pushed me into getting double insurance (currently double insured from Feb-2021 to Feb-2022) that letting my Type-OA permission to stay in Thailand is a good plan.  If my current excellent Health Insurance (that comes with my pension) was on the Thailand acceptance list, I would likely not consider this plan.

I do confess thou, letting a good permission to stay deliberately expire, does bring with it a degree of 'trepidation'.  lol !  I guess I have not been traveling enough lately and that adds a level of psychological uncertainty.  ... lol !

I will probably purchase a one-way ticket from Bangkok to a neighboring Asian country just prior to my returning to Thailand in March-2022 so to met any such Airline requirements (for entering Thailand Visa Exempt).

Thailand Pass aka Mess , mandatory expensive insurance and the ever changing requirement nightmare perhaps millions will just avoid Thailand altogether. You and I live in Thailand so in order to return to our only homes it is as if we all have a gun pointed at our heads. Pay up or leave. Not cool.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The insurance requirement length of cover is not clear.

I would keep an eye out for up coming reports from posters.

It appears from couple of reports that the permission of stay stamp will reflect you reentry permit and not insurance.

An article by Richard Burrow suggested that a 30 day insurance cover might be sufficient. 

In your situation I would obtain my extension as normal.

Obviously buy a reentry permit.

For return to Thailand obtaining an insurance cover for 30 days to satisfy TP.

I just paid for a years insurance not because I wanted to but did not wish to take any chances when applying for a visa in Thailand. That gives me about a year to decide if need be to get ready to leave and move elsewhere. I have a great love for the Thai people but it just gets to a point the constant uncertainty gets really old. Prefer to give my money to people who treat me with kindness and respect.

4 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Prefer to give my money to people who treat me with kindness and respect.

Hang in there. Current times seem to come with issues. 

For those not needing to travel internationally out and back to Thailand then things are pretty simple..

• Like 2

On 11/22/2021 at 8:46 AM, ubonjoe said:

You can also apply for it during the 30 day extension of a visa exempt entry up to the last 15 days of either one.

Look at the link I posted for info.

May we presume this is also possible for Non-O retirement? If one enters visa-exempt, is the Non-O one receives a visa or an extension?

I can imagine IO trying to tighten this up to make sure everyone has $50k medical insurance.

9 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

May we presume this is also possible for Non-O retirement? If one enters visa-exempt, is the Non-O one receives a visa or an extension?

I can imagine IO trying to tighten this up to make sure everyone has $50k medical insurance.

The insurance you mention would not be looked at by io.

The non O you receive is a visa. Gives 90 days permission of stay.

In last 30 days you can obtain extension. 

The financial requirements for the non O and extension explained many times

• Thanks 1