CNRP Activist Slain Overnight in Phnom Penh, Witness Recalls Slashing

geovalin

An opposition activist was killed around 1 a.m. Sunday in Phnom Penh, with a witness saying she saw him running from near Wat Chas as assailants slashed his body with a sword. Sin Khon, an activist for the outlawed CNRP, was previously attacked in May when struck in the back of the head, similar to some of the assaults against several other opposition activists since the party’s dissolution in 2017.

Srey Nuth, a 31-year-old food vendor outside Chroy Changva’s Wat Chas, said she was cleaning up her stall around 1 a.m. when she saw the attack. “He was running from there,” she said, pointing toward Wat Chas. “He fell over there,” Nuth said, moving her finger toward the front step of her shop. “And then they slashed him over here.”

The vendor is just one street over from the pagoda. The activist fell on a metal ramp on the sidewalk in front of her food cart. “The dishwasher saw it happen and called out for help, but there was no one to help. I grabbed my son and ran inside. I panicked,” Nuth said, unable to identify the number of attackers. “There was blood everywhere and it was flowing into the sewage drain.”

read more https://vodenglish.news/cnrp-activist-slain-overnight-in-phnom-penh-witness-recalls-slashing/

2021-11-21-pagoda.jpg.aca8a14be404834b78d016c7a00a240b.jpg