Travelling after covid recovery

Nick58

Hello,

I was hoping someone has had experience of travelling after recovering from COVID-19. 

I should be travelling to Thailand soon, but of course you should  do PCR test,but I have been told by my doctor you should wait 12 weeks after recovering before doing test. I will only be be about 1 month.

Its very difficult to find much information about this, the embassy in London says if you have covid recovery on your pass its OK?

Has anyone travelled to Thailand and knows if this is true

Thank you

Get a new Doctor.

I have flown with pilots 10-30 days after there symptoms subsides, and they still have positive tests. This is the CDC science. and guidance. People can test positive on a PCR test for months but they are not in any contagious stage.

Japan for example does not accept any "proof of recovery from covid-19 medical certificate". Must gob up  a negative RT-PCR test from nasopharyngeal cavity+deep throat swab or saliva sample.

Does Thailand accept such a certificate in lieu of negative test for boarding within 72 hours?

if your atk tests now are negative and your pcr test just before flight is negative, you can travel and with a minimal risk.

Take with you medical certificate about infection, as a back up. Show it to health officer on landing in thailand, so they can make a remark on your health record. Even give them a printed copy. Try to explain the situation. There might be yet another doctor on the side of the screening boots, where you can talk more freely.

Thailand doesn't accept recovery in place of jabs, you need them minimum 2 weeks before arrival.

You can ask your doctor for an antibody test, which will show your level of immune protection after infection

Edited by internationalism

• 3 weeks later...

Nick - sorry I've only just seen this. IMO and experience, whether you have recovered from Covid is not relevant to being able to travel, in either direction. After Covid, I've travelled to the UK and back and the question does not arise at all. And I certainly wouldn't volunteer info. about your previous Covid - why court problems ?

Are you double vax ?

I'm not sure the 12 weeks assertion is right for the PCR test - I was testing negative before I finished my 14 day stay in Hospital.

You can do an ATK (lateral flow) test first, less than B100 in 7/11 etc., and if that's negative, your rtPCT should be the same. If you are still worried before booking your flight, take a PCR to check before booking, B3K and then another 72 hour before flight.

You could do an ATK's for several days to get a level of confidence before booking the flight. Your rtPCR should be negative, (unless re-infected) and off you go !

Good luck.

Can we get back to the OP's question.   Is proof of covid-recovery accepted instead of a negative RT-PCR test for entry to Thailand?  Before boarding and upon arrival in Thailand?  The science behind this is that RT-PCR tests are hyper-sensitive for traces of the bug.  Antigen tests less so.   Many people, who are fully recovered, still RT-PCR test positive weeks and even months after recovery, but are entirely safe.   The rules for entry into the US recognize this:  If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

The Thailand MFA mentions something along this line.  But it is not clear how it works in practice.  Whether it applies only to a positive test on arrival.  Or whether you can board a plane with a recovery form.

- Those who have recovered from COVID-19 within 3 months before travelling to Thailand must present a valid COVID-19 recovery form or medical certificate certifying that they have recovered from COVID-19 or are asymptomatic in case their COVID-19 RT-PCR test shows a positive result.

Does anyone know how this works?  Anyone tried to make the trip with a recovery form/certificate instead of a negative test result?