Pattaya Walking Street business owners hold meeting, officially request an opening plan before New Year’s Eve

webfact

Pattaya had too many foreigners "money laundering" bars, I would prefer Thai owned bars instead, usually cheaper and better service

having little "farang" mafia owning bars will raise prices, and decrease the value of services, they are the worst kinds. They are in it to "maximize" their money, there is no value for customers.

We love to bash Thais but they do know how to bring values in their business,

gogo bars should be only Thai owned, not farangs owned

On 11/24/2021 at 1:22 AM, Leaver said:

Walking Street outpriced itself well before covid.  

that's because too many "farang" mafias were owning those bars, optimizing prices and destroying the vibes.

Pattaya was great when it was fully owned by Thais operators, with a few "local" farangs helping out

but that changed around 2008/2011, it became a massive magnet for new overseas "dodgy" individuals, usually British, opening up all kind of "expensive" English Pubs for a market that didn't exist or didn't need to exist.

Edited by GrandPapillon

4 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

that's because too many "farang" mafias were owning those bars, optimizing prices and destroying the vibes.

Pattaya was great when it was fully owned by Thais operators, with a few "local" farangs helping out

but that changed around 2008/2011, it became a massive magnet for new overseas "dodgy" individuals, usually British, opening up all kind of "expensive" English Pubs for a market that didn't exist or didn't need to exist.

I'm quite sure Thai landlords had a role to play as well.  

49 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I'm quite sure Thai landlords had a role to play as well.  

Thai landlords see those "dodgy" owners and take them for a ride, the local "farangs" from before were not sucked dry like it is now with those "questionable" characters

and some "Thai" landlords are actually "farangs" with nominees,

Thais need to take back Pattaya WS, and kick out all those petty loots ????

Same with Nana, we all know the "farangs" who actually "own" Nana and act like Thai landords and keep sucking dry every bars there ????

Edited by GrandPapillon

3 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

Thai landlords see those "dodgy" owners and take them for a ride, the local "farangs" from before were not sucked dry like it is now with those "questionable" characters

and some "Thai" landlords are actually "farangs" with nominees,

Thais need to take back Pattaya WS, and kick out all those petty loots ????

Same with Nana, we all know the "farangs" who actually "own" Nana and act like Thai landords and keep sucking dry every bars there ????

It's going to be a whole new game, for everyone, post covid.

Businesses staying with the old business model of lady drinks and bar fines will enjoy a short revival, and then struggle. 

Times are changing, and in my opinion, unless Thai landlords come to the table and be reasonable, I can't see many of the vacant buildings here being tenanted again in the next few years.   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Leaver said:

Thai Friendly has become the new Soi 6, minus all the BS.  ????  

Yes that is one option, and no barfines.  So the ladies get it all and you can give them a tio and still pay less than you would at a bar.  Other than alcohol  there is no need for the bars anymore.  They ladies have learned this.  The parasitic managers, and others that were just taking money from customers at the ladies expense is fading away.  There are some positives from the Covid.

On 11/24/2021 at 4:45 AM, hereforgood said:

Walking street looks like a war zone so many businesses boarded up. The street its self in terrible shape no Tourists other than the Hardcore sex tourists will  spend any time there. That crowd is shifting to LK Metro and the Soi Boukow area already. Walking street has had its time seen its day. Never will be like it was pre covid 19. 

The paving is in an horrific state. They should have used the down time to repave it all. I can just imagine the accidents people will have with ladies breaking their heels and other stubbing their toes and triping on an extremaly uneven surface.

6 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Yes that is one option, and no barfines.  So the ladies get it all and you can give them a tio and still pay less than you would at a bar.  Other than alcohol  there is no need for the bars anymore.  They ladies have learned this.  The parasitic managers, and others that were just taking money from customers at the ladies expense is fading away.  There are some positives from the Covid.

A move to online was happening before covid.  I have no doubt that covid will have increased the use of apps, after borders are open.

The girl still "gets it all."  If she wants a 1000 baht, she gets the 1000 baht, it's just there's no added expense of 300, 400, 500 baht, or more, for the bar fine.  

I don't see the bar owners as parasitic.  A Thai landlord drops high rent on them, and they pass it on to the customer.  if bars here had no bar fines, a beer would be 120 baht, for example.

As mongers increase their use of the apps, I can only see alcohol prices rising in the girl bars, and that's the start of the downward spiral for bars with that business model. 

The hotel industry saw it with AirBnB and the taxi industry with Uber.  On a micro level in Pattaya, the sex trade may see the same digital disruption as well.

Some bars may move to freelancers only and no bar fines, but 250 or 300 baht a lady drink, just to compete with the apps.  Some bars may may even advertise their own staff on the apps, and have the girl charge a higher price and they take a commission.  

Whatever happens, good luck to bar owners explaining to Thai landlords that their building isn't worth the rent it once was because no one is buying lady drinks and paying bar fines anymore.  

• Like 1

I've finally come to realize that Walking Street isn't coming back.

It was dead the last time they were allowed to sell booze.  

That was April?

Now theres even less businesses open.

Its gone to Soi Bhukow where rents are at least realistic in relation to the situation.

Expats really didn't go there unless a guest dragged them and promises a few beers in return.

I'll miss it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

A move to online was happening before covid.  I have no doubt that covid will have increased the use of apps, after borders are open.

The girl still "gets it all."  If she wants a 1000 baht, she gets the 1000 baht, it's just there's no added expense of 300, 400, 500 baht, or more, for the bar fine.  

I don't see the bar owners as parasitic.  A Thai landlord drops high rent on them, and they pass it on to the customer.  if bars here had no bar fines, a beer would be 120 baht, for example.

As mongers increase their use of the apps, I can only see alcohol prices rising in the girl bars, and that's the start of the downward spiral for bars with that business model. 

The hotel industry saw it with AirBnB and the taxi industry with Uber.  On a micro level in Pattaya, the sex trade may see the same digital disruption as well.

Some bars may move to freelancers only and no bar fines, but 250 or 300 baht a lady drink, just to compete with the apps.  Some bars may may even advertise their own staff on the apps, and have the girl charge a higher price and they take a commission.  

Whatever happens, good luck to bar owners explaining to Thai landlords that their building isn't worth the rent it once was because no one is buying lady drinks and paying bar fines anymore.  

The bars can try to ask those  prices for a 60 baht beer, and one group had went to 190 for LD.  But if they bought the building then they wouldn't  have the outrageous  rent.  The owners will want to make money of course, and you certainly  are correct in what you are stating.  Greed could put them out of business,  along with the currrent catalyst's

On 11/29/2021 at 7:58 AM, WEBBYB808 said:

The bars can try to ask those  prices for a 60 baht beer, and one group had went to 190 for LD.  But if they bought the building then they wouldn't  have the outrageous  rent.  The owners will want to make money of course, and you certainly  are correct in what you are stating.  Greed could put them out of business,  along with the currrent catalyst's

The problem with owning the building, after paying big money for it, is the use of that building is still under the control of authorities by way of alcohol / entertainment licenses, and it can be raided by the BiB for prostitution at any time. 

They know you own it, and it's a worthless purchase unless you also pay big money extortion fees to them.  

Also, with a declining business model in lady drinks and bar fines, it would be difficult to recoup the purchased price over any reasonable amount of years.  

• Like 1