Mine casualties in Battambang top 15,000; 96,605ha next target

geovalin

Over the 42-year period from 1979 to 2021, there were 15,289 people in Battambang province who were killed, disabled or injured by landmines and unexploded ordnance (UXO), according to Battambang provincial governor Sok Lou.

Lou provided the figure as he accompanied Senior Minister Ly Thuch – who also serves as first vice-president of the Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority (CMAA) – to inspect a minefield in Dounba commune’s Kouk Roka village of Kors Kralor district on November 24.

Lou noted that Battambang province was a frontline battlefield for over two decades of war and a big portion of its land was covered by landmines, UXO and explosive remnants of war (ERW), all of which have had deadly consequences for the area’s residents and the province’s development.

read more https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/mine-casualties-battambang-top-15000-96605ha-next-target

topic-8-cmac-woman-looking-for-unexploded-ordnance-on-22-11-2021-by-cmac-2.jpg.dfadb20b6808d90ff060bf92245f0874.jpg