Water Mist System For The Home

dannywla

Having just built my first home in Chaiyaphum, last week before returning to the States, I purchased for 90,000. thai baht a complete high pressure self timing with 40 brass misting nozzles for my home.

I have enjoyed its benfits while traveling to places such as Las Vegas, Palm Springs and even in Bangkok.

I had it planned out so it would have three zones, so the entire system would not have to be on at all times. It would also be set to cool the AC condenser which should help lower the energy cost.

The major benefits are as follows:

1. Lower the ambient temperature 5-10 celsius

2. Control the mosquitoes by having the unit on at sunrise and sundown

3. Allow one to grow exotic plants, orchids whereas without a system it would be difficult.

4. Enjoy the daytime outside my A/C room.

Has anyone purchased a similiar system, if so your feedback and overall impression is most appreciated.

I plan on having it installed at the end of this month, when I return for the Housewarming "Party"

I had one of these systems on my home in Palm Springs.They seem to have become a good deal more ecpensive in the past 10 tears. I think I paid $300 for the whole house. Works very well in that very hot, very dry climate. I'll be curious to hear how it does in this more humid climate.

Humidity....who wants to be more humid in the wet season?/ I built one of these systems with locally available irrigation pvc plastic misters for under 500 bhatt and in the dry, it is refreshing, but don't use it in the wet season. One problem with them is unless you have filtered water, they can have a tendancy to clog up.....mine do with my ground water that has high mineral content. Also, be cautious of rust and possible electrical problems if exposed to misters....

food for thought..

I am also curious, because I have used these systems in very dry climates and they work well, but in Thailand it's very humid, so I am curious to know the results

Some fish farms build a restaurant over their pond. They pipe water to run down the roof of the restaurant. I once asked a manager if it helped cool the place and he told me he didn't know but that it was a cheap way to oxygenate the water for the fish.

• 1 month later...

I have seend them only outdoors, in an open air restaurants - within the closed area it will make you house damp if overused. Even for that reason I would make each of the rooms a separate zone and switch the system on only when I am in this room.

Still you need to ventilate well all the house to dry the walls, as the moisture will be everywhere

Having just built my first home in Chaiyaphum, last week before returning to the States, I purchased for 90,000. thai baht a complete high pressure self timing with 40 brass misting nozzles for my home.

I have enjoyed its benfits while traveling to places such as Las Vegas, Palm Springs and even in Bangkok.

I had it planned out so it would have three zones, so the entire system would not have to be on at all times. It would also be set to cool the AC condenser which should help lower the energy cost.

Sorry to inform you that this action will in no way lower the energy cost of running airconditioning. If anything, you are using more electricity by doing such a thing.

In another way, it could make your a/c less efficient if it lowers the head pressure (condensor pressure) too much.

Sorry to inform you that this action will in no way lower the energy cost of running airconditioning. If anything, you are using more electricity by doing such a thing.

In another way, it could make your a/c less efficient if it lowers the head pressure (condensor pressure) too much.

sorry Kangorito but in this respect you are wrong. a/c efficiency depends a lot on ambient temperature drawn by the condenser fan to liquify the refrigerant again. you are of course right that the water mist cooling the condenser coil by creating evaporative cooling would not lower the actual amps the compressor draws but reduce considerably the running time (same cooling capacity with less time / more cooling capacity running the same time) and therefore leading to power savings.

in my former home (Florida) i had three central a/c units. the main unit i connected to my well (with an additional pressure tank to reduce well pump cycling) and two dozen mister nozzles placed around the condenser. when running ambient air 32ºC through the condenser my air temperature at the evaporator was 14ºC and with the misters connected the air temperature went down to 11ºC (both measured at same ambient temperatures).

unfortunately i had to stop the additional water cooling after several months as my well water was extremely rusty and deposits formed at the condenser fins.

by the way, using misters inside a home in Thailand is of course pure *$%T&^% :o

I stopped by the Mastercool store today... not for the product itself but rather to take a look at the nozzle heads for a different application (intercooler spray).

They have 1000-1500 psi pumps and nozzles that produce droplets 5 microns in size at a rate of i don't remember. The angle of the spray is 25 degrees from horizontal.

Nothing special about what they had, if you've got some smarts I think you can put a system together on your own for much less. They were selling for about 30K baht per fan. They had home kits without a pump that you plug into your garden hose.... for 2700 baht or 4xxx baht depending on whether you want 5-10 nozzles... very simple engineering.

sorry Kangorito but in this respect you are wrong. a/c efficiency depends a lot on ambient temperature drawn by the condenser fan to liquify the refrigerant again. you are of course right that the water mist cooling the condenser coil by creating evaporative cooling would not lower the actual amps the compressor draws but reduce considerably the running time (same cooling capacity with less time / more cooling capacity running the same time) and therefore leading to power savings.

in my former home (Florida) i had three central a/c units. the main unit i connected to my well (with an additional pressure tank to reduce well pump cycling) and two dozen mister nozzles placed around the condenser. when running ambient air 32ºC through the condenser my air temperature at the evaporator was 14ºC and with the misters connected the air temperature went down to 11ºC (both measured at same ambient temperatures).

unfortunately i had to stop the additional water cooling after several months as my well water was extremely rusty and deposits formed at the condenser fins.

by the way, using misters inside a home in Thailand is of course pure *$%T&^% :o

Point taken Doc & I agree with you but my reference was about lowering the head pressure TOO MUCH, which can cause over condensing & therefore the slugging of liquid back into the compressor, which you will no doubt agree, is detrimental to the life of the compressor & will in fact create an inefficiency in the cooling capacity of the a/c unit. Simply put, the head pressure must be high enough to allow the efficient transfer of heat energy. And yes, using misters in Thailand is a complete waste of everything.

Edited by elkangorito

Point taken Doc & I agree with you but my reference was about lowering the head pressure TOO MUCH, which can cause over condensing & therefore the slugging of liquid back into the compressor...

Kangorito, i am aware that you are talking about "liquid hammering" which destroys the compressor valves or in case of a rotary compressor the piston. this problem can only be avoided by monitoring evaporator temperature as anything less than 6ºC can be dangerous. anyway, for a retiree like me it was great fun to "play" around. in fact i had planned a similar system for my home in Thailand but the problems i faced during construction forced me to abandon it. today i am quite happy that i did not implement airconditioning deviating from local standards.

off topic: i am facing a problem which i posted before in another thread. received a solution from a TV-member but can't find that thread anymore with the search function. perhaps you can help out?

once in a while one or even two of my phases have a brown-out and the solenoid relays of my pumps and A/Cs burn.

where do i get i protecting device and what it is called in english which shuts off an individual phase when the voltage drops below a certain level? no problem when a phase is completely shut off.

thanks in advance for any advice!