Gasohol Claims Another Victim

Gasohol claims another victim

BANGKOK: -- Tanit Watanadamai yesterday filled up his brand-new Yaris with 91 gasohol at a PTT station in Ratchaburi's Muang district. Three kilometres later his car conked out and would not restart.

"I called a Toyota service centre and the mechanics found sediment in the fuel tank. The fuel was murky yellow. I'm sure that the gasohol did this to my car," he said.

He is the second person after a Ferrari owner to complain about a negative experience with gasohol from an Esso station in Chon Buri's Bang Saen municipality.

Metta Banterngsook, director-general of the Energy Business Department, said the Energy Ministry will handle such cases on an individual basis as it could not assume that gasohol was causing all the problems. "We are investigating the quality of the fuel and if the stations are found not to be complying with the regulations, they will be subject to imprisonment and fines," he said.

The Energy Ministry expects to establish this week if the Esso station's gasohol really caused engine problems in the Ferrari, he said. "A sample has been collected and we'll find out if the gasohol is contaminated. Our responsibility is to check the gasohol's quality, but the Esso station must take care of the damage to the car as the fuel distributor."

The investigation must be conclusive in order to educate and convince consumers, he said, while admitting the incidents could shake the confidence of gasohol users. "All auto-makers have given assurances that gasohol is compatible with all cars that have been made after 1995," he said.

A ministry source said that following the complaint by the Ferrari owner, Energy Minister Piyasvasti Amranand planned to call a meeting with top officials.

Metta said major oil retailers have taken steps to protect against dirty fuel by having their stations clean their gasohol storage tanks and handle the fuel carefully.

However, independent stations lack such measures and the Energy Business Department with a Bt20 million budget is helping these small operators in cleaning out their tanks, before they start selling gasohol.

The ministry will still push ahead with promoting gasohol consumption, which has hit 4 million litres a day. Over half of 95-octane petrol users still remain loyal to their fuel.

--The Nation 2007-06-06

Energy Ministry campaigns for people to use gasohol

Mr. Kurujit Nakornthap, the Deputy Permanent Secretary for Energy, talks about the campaign promoting people to use gasohol, saying the public relations activities have been carried out to inform public members of the benefits and attributes of gasohol. The objective is to convince motorists to change their negative attitude towards gasohol so they would turn to use this type of alternative fuel instead.

Mr. Kurujit says the Energy Ministry targets to produce eight million liters of gasohol per day within this year. Besides, the ministry plans to import lower quantity of fuels from foreign countries so Thai farmers could have more earnings by growing plants for producing ethanol.

Mr. Kurujit says if motorists are using gasohol throughout the year, Thailand will save about 4,000 baht per vehicle each year, and the country will save more than three billion baht from importing foreign fuel each year.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 06 June 2007

PTT affirms Gasohol has no harm on engines

The PTT Plc. affirms that the use of gasohol will have no negative effect on car engines and says it is ready to take the responsibility if gasohol produced by the company contains water.

In regards to complaints concerning the deterioration of car engines after filling up Gasohol 91 at PTT’s gas station in Ratchaburi Province, senior executive vice president of the oil business group of PTT Chaivat Churitti (ชัยวัฒน์ ชูฤทธิ์), reveals that the particular PTT gas station had been inundated by the recent flood, causing its stored gasohol to have direct contact with water.

Mr Chaivat adds that the company is willing to pay for the damage incurred to those cars who have filled up their gas tanks at the PTT gas station at Ratchburi Province. However, he affirms that gasohol, as well as other types of petrol produced by PTT, complies with oil standards set by the Department of Energy Business under the Ministry of Energy.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 06 June 2007

In regards to complaints concerning the deterioration of car engines after filling up Gasohol 91 at PTT’s gas station in Ratchaburi Province, senior executive vice president of the oil business group of PTT Chaivat Churitti (ชัยวัฒน์ ชูฤทธิ์), reveals that the particular PTT gas station had been inundated by the recent flood, causing its stored gasohol to have direct contact with water.

a fact he was well aware of and yet allowed the station to keep selling the product ,

me thinks there's a smell .........................................

I am trying to work out why you would put gasohol into a Ferrari. :o

That was the same thing I was thinking. Why would you not buy the best for such a car?

Because spare parts for it are very expensive. So if it develops a problem with the engine or fuel system then you can just fill it up with gasohol and then go ahead and try to get the oil company to pay.

Sometimes you're out late, a bit drunk, you got Sonja Cooling and Yo Yosawadee scrunched in on the passenger side.... and you don't notice the gas station attendent filling up your ride with the wrong fuel.

:o

That said, I'd mothball our benzene automobiles and add another few diesel 4 x 4s, Fortuners, etc. to our fleet before I'd use gasahol. <deleted> PTT (not including friends and family that work there).

Gasohol no fun for Ferrari

source: The Nation

A German businessman based in Pattaya is believed to be seeking Bt24 million in damages from a petrol station attendant who allegedly filled the tank of his Ferrari with the wrong type of petrol on Sunday night.

Bruno ######, 43, a contractor for a luxury condominium project in Chon Buri's Bang Lamung district, yesterday claimed that he clearly said to the unidentified attendant to fill up his Bt24 million Ferrari with unleaded 95 petrol, but instead he filled it with gasohol 95.

###### lodged a complaint with Muang Chon Buri police yesterday morning when his car broke down last night after travelling 10km from an Esso gas station in Bang Saen. He said the wrong petrol had damaged his Ferrari's engine and a computer unit controlling the car's functions.

Should have been watching the type of fuel that was being put into his ride instead of trying to look cool. Why would you have a Ferrari in Pattaya anyway?

um, because you can

Gotta wash the Mediterranean timeshare money somewhere…….not to mention the Thai monies :o

I did see the car this afternoon driving off from his restaurant and it did sound very sick…..but it still looks very nice :D

Gasohol no fun for Ferrari

source: The Nation

A German businessman based in Pattaya is believed to be seeking Bt24 million in damages from a petrol station attendant who allegedly filled the tank of his Ferrari with the wrong type of petrol on Sunday night.

Bruno ######, 43, a contractor for a luxury condominium project in Chon Buri's Bang Lamung district, yesterday claimed that he clearly said to the unidentified attendant to fill up his Bt24 million Ferrari with unleaded 95 petrol, but instead he filled it with gasohol 95.

###### lodged a complaint with Muang Chon Buri police yesterday morning when his car broke down last night after travelling 10km from an Esso gas station in Bang Saen.

Isn't it normal for Ferraris' to break down every 10km? :o

Besides this guy is equally responsible if not moreso than the fuel station attendant, he should have been checking the right fuel went in..........clearly he know they put Gasohol in the tank so he must have realised at somepoint before leaving the fuel station. What he should have done is not drive it and got the tank drained.

He said the wrong petrol had damaged his Ferrari's engine and a computer unit controlling the car's functions.

And as for this statement? Hes' a qualified mechanic is he? Highly doubtful the wrong fuel would have damaged the ECU (although more knowledgable types feel free to correct me :D) More likely the computer detected that the fuel wasn't within the parameters it expected and shut the engine down into a "safety mode".....more than likely again, draining the 'sohol from the tank and fuel system and then filling up with 95 will probably have it right as rain again. Still have to admire him for trying to get his Ferrari for free :D

I wont run gasohol in my bikes or cars either.. But station attendants simply ignore what you say..

I was low on fuel and wanted a top up for the bike so pulled into hut style.. Only red gasohol on display.. Asked (in clear simple thai) if they had gasoline clearly said I didnt want gasohol.. yes yes sure.. She then picks up the hose for the red gasohol.. No thanks NOT gasohol do you have gasoline 95 ?? Yes yes this 95.. NOT gasohol thanks.. She then gets the super arse and starts arm waving and shouting when I had been polite all through.

Same thing can happen in garages if they dont have gasoline 95 (and thats getting more common gasoline finished only gasohol).. So if they clearly ignore what you say simply to make a sale or because they are idiots they deserve every penalty they can be given.

Most common, modern vehicles should not have a problem running 10% ethanol. Any vehicle should be able to run 85% ethanol without doing damage to the motor. Note though that E85 will damage other parts of a vehicle that is not set up to run on E85. You will get corrosion in a tank that is not made for it, the fuel lines can also corrode and any gunk that is inside the lines and tank can be dissolved from the ethanol clogging fuel filters and fuel injectors. E85 should not however damage an engine directly. The computer that is in charge of proper fuel to air mixture will have problems if it is not set up to handle E85.

Sometimes you're out late, a bit drunk, you got Sonja Cooling and Yo Yosawadee scrunched in on the passenger side.... and you don't notice the gas station attendent filling up your ride with the wrong fuel.

watch what you say bout sonia there heng.... her dad is a tv member.....