Do you have to book accommodation for 60 days / onward flight

Hi, 

Some consulate websites say people only need to show a booking for the 10 days in an approved quarantine hotel, and the AXA insurance and Thailand pass (and the tourist visa in passport), and no onward flight is needed. Is that right?

Some people on social media say they were refused entry as they didn't have an onward flight. And some consulate websites say 60 - 90 days of accommodation should be booked. 

Asking for a friend with a Myanmar passport, flying in next month from Myanmar. 

Also to save money could someone only book the AXA insurance for say, 14 days, and say they're only staying 14 days if asked, or would immigration be suspicious and expect to see that paid for for 30 days at least. Or 60 days? It's a lot more expensive to book that for 60-90 days, and how would immigration ever really know how long the person intended to stay, whether they would extend the 60 days to 90 or not. 

Thanks

Edited by jspill

In the COE system the insurance had to cover the (remaining) validity of the visa/entry permit. If your visa expired 8 months after landing in Thailand, you needed 8 months insurance (even if your onward flight was 3 weeks after arrival in Thailand). It is not how long you intend to stay that matters, but rather how long you are entitled to stay once in Thailand.

I need an answer to this question too. I'm an American citizen, and I'm having trouble with the following when applying for a tourist visa:

4. Resident permit in a country in which  visa application is submitted

6. Proof of accommodation in Thailand, e.g. Accommodation bookings, invitation letters from family/friends in Thailand (of the first visit)

7. Travel booking confirmation (of the first visit)

12. Applicant must apply for e-Visa specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to upload document that can verify his/her current residency.

Seriously, is this all necessary? The LA Consulate  website only lists 5 things as necessary: passport copy, photo of self, declaration form, copy of flight info, and copy of bank statement. But I'm not able to proceed on the thaievisa.go.th unless I submit a list of 13 items.

Can anyone help?

3 hours ago, justaguy2 said:

4. Resident permit in a country in which  visa application is submitted

6. Proof of accommodation in Thailand, e.g. Accommodation bookings, invitation letters from family/friends in Thailand (of the first visit)

7. Travel booking confirmation (of the first visit)

12. Applicant must apply for e-Visa specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to upload document that can verify his/her current residency.

Seriously, is this all necessary? The LA Consulate  website only lists 5 things as necessary: passport copy, photo of self, declaration form, copy of flight info, and copy of bank statement. But I'm not able to proceed on the thaievisa.go.th unless I submit a list of 13 items.

4 and 12 is copy of you your passport photo page to prove your are US citizen.

6. You only need to show a hotel reservation for a short stay or if staying with family or friends a letter from them stating you will be staying with and a copy of their house book registry and ID card.

7. You ticket to here.

The e visa site is for many embassies and official consulates around the which means it will different that what is shown on a local embassy.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

6. You only need to show a hotel reservation for a short stay or if staying with family or friends a letter from them stating you will be staying with and a copy of their house book registry and ID card.

7. You ticket to here.

The e visa site is for many embassies and official consulates around the which means it will different that what is shown on a local embassy.

Hi. To be extra clear for number 12 if you are American you do not upload a copy of your drivers license with your current address? A copy of passport with just your birth state on it is required?  Thanks 

40 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Hi. To be extra clear for number 12 if you are American you do not upload a copy of your drivers license with your current address?

I think 12 is just a statement that does not require anything after reading it again.

You enter your address on another line.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think 12 is just a statement that does not require anything after reading it again.

Hi been having problems with Paris embassy requirements. Will my EVisa really go through that embassy for approval? They also told me Hotel / condo bookings for the entire stay which I cannot provide.  I can provide a few days to a week on arrival.  I have to do this quickly as they told me an evisa could take from a few days to 45 days , incredible.  I’m thinking their info is not up to date at all. Any info , thanks.  

If , big if, I come in visa exempt, what will the rules be, and is there any hope of doing a border hop anywhere , end Jan/ Feb . Hear  Bangkok  air flies Phnom Penh or Siem Reap.

Thanks. 

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

7. You ticket to here.

@ubonjoe is that for tegular tourist visa as well  or only the Special Tourist Visa?

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

@ubonjoe is that for tegular tourist visa as well  or only the Special Tourist Visa?

That’s the problem, trying to get the exact up to date requirements for an evisa. Otherwise you can’t apply.  Mine is for 60 days tourist which I want to extend . 

30 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

He asked about a tourist visa.

All but 6 applies for all visa applications on the e visa site.

Without registering on the site it hard of find all the requirements for a visa.

The list for tourist visa are here that you can find on the main page without registering. But is not complete as far as I know. https://thaievisa.go.th/tourist-visa

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He asked about a tourist visa.

All but 6 applies for all visa applications on the e visa site.

Without registering on the site it hard of find all the requirements for a visa.

The list for tourist visa are here that you can find on the main page without registering. But is not complete as far as I know. https://thaievisa.go.th/tourist-visa

Yes I have seen that but it does not mention proof of hotel reservations.

As it is, the proof of funds is a new requirement for most countries, did not have to submit it for tourist visa in the past unless that recently changed.  In addition to the added hassle of having to get bank letter etc there is the invasion of privacy and concern about data breaches when uploading financial information to a Thai govt website.

If on top of that they are now requiring proof of prepaid hotel bookings for duration of stay for a simple tourist visa, then they have really put up some walls.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

As it is, the proof of funds is a new requirement for most countries, did not have to submit it for tourist visa in the past unless that recently changed. 

That is only the standard 20k baht requirement for all visas and is shown on many websites.

15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

If on top of that they are now requiring proof of prepaid hotel bookings for duration of stay for a simple tourist visa, then they have really put up some walls.

I am not sure what is it states when you go on the site and doing the application.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That is only the standard 20k baht requirement for all visas and is shown on many websites.

It was a requirement for entry but I haven't heard of people other than from poorer neighboring countries having to submit proof of it in visa application process before. The amount is not the problem it is the privacy and data security as well as the additional time.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

It was a requirement for entry but I haven't heard of people other than from poorer neighboring countries having to submit proof of it in visa application process before. The amount is not the problem it is the privacy and data security as well as the additional time.

Maybe just blank out any sensitive bits like account numbers ?

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

This has been shown on the Thai embassy in the US for a long time ($700 equals 20k baht).

"2.5 Copy of recent bank statement ($700 per person and $1,500 per family).  The name of the applicant must be indicated clearly), In case of submitting a family bank statement, proof of relationship (i.e. birth certificate, marriage certificate) must be provided."

Source: https://thaiembdc.org/2020/11/05/trsingle_entry/

On 11/27/2021 at 1:23 AM, JackGats said:

In the COE system the insurance had to cover the (remaining) validity of the visa/entry permit. If your visa expired 8 months after landing in Thailand, you needed 8 months insurance (even if your onward flight was 3 weeks after arrival in Thailand). It is not how long you intend to stay that matters, but rather how long you are entitled to stay once in Thailand.

That is an incorrect post.

On 11/27/2021 at 12:45 PM, ubonjoe said:

I am not sure what is it states when you go on the site and doing the application.

Hi, I’m quoting from the Paris embassy for tourist evisa. Passport page/photo/ return ticket inferior  90 days/Covid insurance 50 thou $/hotel reservation proof/bank statement min 2000€, stamped , not a print out/ proof of residency in France. 
My question, this was before yesterdays news of new rules. When will the embassies get the updates so I can finally book , and also for the Thai Pass ?  Will my  tourist evisa  depend on the French embassy to be  approved  ? Seeing as they give awful service, I might be waiting more than a month. 
IF, border runs were possible in late Jan Feb, I’d come in visa exempt and could book straight away . Thanks. 
pS as Sheryl says, lots of private info needed , hope it’s safe !!!

7 hours ago, geisha said:

My question, this was before yesterdays news of new rules. When will the embassies get the updates so I can finally book , and also for the Thai Pass ?

There is no such  requirements for the Thai pass other than medical/covid 19 insurance to enter the country.

Will my  tourist evisa  depend on the French embassy to be  approved  ? Seeing as they give awful service, I might be waiting more than a month. 

The embassy in Paris will have to approve yoru e visa application. There requirements have been the same for a long time other than the insurance requirements.

IF, border runs were possible in late Jan Feb, I’d come in visa exempt and could book straight away .

You can apply for a 30 day extension of a visa exempt entry. No need for a border hop if your are only staying for 60 days or less.

It is to early to predict what will be possible January or February. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2021 at 10:56 PM, ubonjoe said:

On the upload page, they are all required uploads.  They have red asterisks next to them.  Attached .pdf.  I'm going to just do passport page if that works.  I was worried they were going to ask for house title or lease agreement, or similar.  I also considered driver license like the OP, though mine has an old address, but only 10 miles away from the new. Which should be ok since it is still a legal license, but I'll go with passport and try to avoid non matching info. 

If left out it will give an error for 12 "Please upload a applicant must apply for e-visa via specific embassy/consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. applicant is required to upload document that can verify his/her current residency."

Q 12.pdf

On 11/27/2021 at 12:45 AM, ubonjoe said:

Best to look at this page on the Yangon embassy website for their requirements. 

https://yangon.thaiembassy.org/en/page/33445-tourist-visa?menu=5d7d27c515e39c2e64001ff4

It mentions a round trip ticket.

Thanks. Know if children aged 2 also need the health insurance, thailand pass etc. or it's covered within that of the adult guardian's? 

Will get her to ask this at the consulate but just curious if anyone has gone through the process with children

29 minutes ago, jspill said:

Thanks. Know if children aged 2 also need the health insurance, thailand pass etc. or it's covered within that of the adult guardian's? 

Will get her to ask this at the consulate but just curious if anyone has gone through the process with children

I'm reading online that children don't need a separate thailand pass, but can't find any info about the AXA covid insurance

In the T&Cs it says children aren't covered in the policy, but will immigration ask? 

5 hours ago, jspill said:

image.png.2d60203a5c4e5e6e389e655ac2c284f5.png

Source: https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/content/thailand-pass-faqs-2

Not sure about the age for insurance. But the TGIA covid insurance mentions coverage from the age of 1.

https://www.tipinsure.com/CovidRegional/product_detail

On 11/28/2021 at 5:47 PM, geisha said:

Hi, I’m quoting from the Paris embassy for tourist evisa. Passport page/photo/ return ticket inferior  90 days/Covid insurance 50 thou $/hotel reservation proof/bank statement min 2000€, stamped , not a print out/ proof of residency in France. 
My question, this was before yesterdays news of new rules. When will the embassies get the updates so I can finally book , and also for the Thai Pass ?  Will my  tourist evisa  depend on the French embassy to be  approved  ? Seeing as they give awful service, I might be waiting more than a month. 
IF, border runs were possible in late Jan Feb, I’d come in visa exempt and could book straight away . Thanks. 
pS as Sheryl says, lots of private info needed , hope it’s safe !!!

This is crazy, getting 60 day tourist visas previously didn't involve any of this (used London previously).

Do they not accept PDF versions of things like bank statements? I do electronic banking and my flight is also e-ticket so getting paper copies and uploading them is near pointless. 

I am going to email the Thai Embassy in London and see if I can get some answers. I am not due to fly until 2nd February but away in US from 17th December until 13th Jan so won't have loads of time to sort this out if they don't play ball. I could get a 30 day stamp on arrival if all else fails but am planning a 5 month visit. Can't see border runs being feasible in current climate. 

Edited by MarkyM3