Greatest and most Haunting film of our times: Melancholia

GammaGlobulin

Dear Friends,

After watching this film, several times, I cannot wash this film out of my hair.

This is such a haunting film, and a metaphor for our times, I believe.

Surely, guys like you must feel exactly as do I about this film.

Because, otherwise, you and I would not be brothers, in kind.

During this pandemic, while I have been locked up alone, by myself, for over 18 months, I have had the chance to think about some things, and dwell upon other things.

My present frame of mind tells me that the film Melancholia is the film of our times.

Back in the day, maybe the pivotal film might have been Easy Rider, or One Flew Over...

However, these days, after I have become older, by over 50 years, there is no other film which speaks to me, as does Melancholia.

What do you think?

Am I right?

Here is a short snippet for you concerning what I am speaking about.

This is a BEAUTIFUL film which speaks to our generation.

I really do not know how this film was ever made, because....how could it be appealing to the masses, especially the international market.

I think that this is an incredibly interesting and impressive film of our times.

Films like this come around only once in a decade, or two.

JMHO

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 2

Maybe, after having been truly jaded, and after having seen almost all the films you can think of, most of which are not interesting, I stumbled upon this film, recently.

This film, one can watch several times, and just soak up the angst of it.

I am sure that this film will appeal to those in the Pub Forum.

Please do not ask me how I know.

I just KNOW.

(Please enjoy this film.  You can download from the PB, I guess.)

Definitely worth a watch.

Take care, my friends.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

Melancholia

2011 ‧ Drama/Sci-fi ‧ 2h 16m

Description

Watched it?
Watchlist

82% liked this film
Google users

Description

The lives of sisters Justine and Claire get entangled when they discover that Earth is about to collide with an enormous planet called Melancholia.
Release date: May 26, 2011 (Denmark)
Box office: $21.8 million
Budget: $9.4 million; (c. US$9.4 million (2010))
Produced by: Meta Louise Foldager; Louise Vesth
Edited by Chris.B

13 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

" I cannot wash this film out of my hair."

You still have "hair" ? You must be one of the youngsters on this forum! :cheesy::cheesy:

Right you are.

And, the main REASON that this forum is great is BECAUSE the guys here are, mostly, old enough to have accumulated a great deal of wisdom

Collectively....one can imagine that this forum possesses much more wisdom than all other forums, combined.

There is no doubt.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Melancholia

2011 ‧ Drama/Sci-fi ‧ 2h 16m

Description

Watched it?
Watchlist

82% liked this film
Google users

Description

The lives of sisters Justine and Claire get entangled when they discover that Earth is about to collide with an enormous planet called Melancholia.
Release date: May 26, 2011 (Denmark)
Box office: $21.8 million
Budget: $9.4 million; (c. US$9.4 million (2010))
Produced by: Meta Louise Foldager; Louise Vesth

Both beautiful and also haunting.

After several years,  this film still haunts me, yet in a beautiful way.

Take care.

12 hours ago, olfu said:

No, I didnt watch this mainstream propaganda but I did some research on movie and director and found that director stated he is a Nazi.

Have a nice day.

He's quirky and provocative and maybe a bit silly. He later said if he was asked on the day to clarify his comments he would have said he was not. He said it was one of the first interviews he had done sober. The comment was in relation to him finding out that he had german heritage and not jewish heritage as he had thought. He said later that Hitler is an icon of how cruel you can be.

The point being that, though the comment seems reprehensible, and could have landed him in jail,   he is not likely to actually be a nazi. 

Watched another Dunst film recently, Power of the Dog which was loved by the lovies and IMO a waste of my life watching it. Melancholia looks like more of the same going by the trailer.

Elizabethtown however, was a delightful Dunst film.

For end of the world movies, Looking for a friend ........................( Keira Knightly ) was pretty good.

Anyway, we don't need to watch movies about end of the world as we used to know it. The chaos we are living through now is IMO the end of life as we knew it writ large.

• Like 2

Under the Volcano is one of the most beautiful but haunting "films of our time

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EJGIOwfcWMM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On 11/27/2021 at 1:58 AM, ChaiyaTH said:

Greatest film of our lives is how covid is abused for power control, taking even more welfare to the elite and destroying livelihoods. The next lockdown is gonna kill all local businesses left.

Yeah laugh and despise my comment, just as i was laughed at when i said boosters will be mandatory and certificates expiring, as well new outbreaks taking place; this is today’s news and reality.

Winter is coming, has come already.

Nobody laughed at you or despised you. Nobody thought about you or your very reasonable predictions. Booster shots are not controversial. My family in the UK have had theirs gratefuly.

5 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Melancholia has been on my watch list for a while but I can't seem to get past the notion it looks like a middle age version of an 80s teenage angst flick...

If it compares favourably with The Revenant, which I consider to be the film of the decade, I'll make the effort to watch it.

I tried to think of a better western made film than The Revenant in the past decade and couldn't come up with one, which is probably an indictment of the movie industry of late. I don't consider it to be a great movie, but that may be because I dislike Leo.

41 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Why on earth the mentally-depressed want to watch depressing films that make them even more depressed is beyond my comprehension.

I enjoy watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - the 1971 version, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y8aYd9uqFY

I appreciate well made films no matter how melancholy, but I enjoy froth and bubbles movies like rom coms.

The ones I like most leave me feeling happy, and not angry or depressed.

BTW, PC rip offs of beloved old movies make me angry, so I try not to get sucked into watching them.

35 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I appreciate well made films no matter how melancholy, but I enjoy froth and bubbles movies like rom coms.

The ones I like most leave me feeling happy, and not angry or depressed.

BTW, PC rip offs of beloved old movies make me angry, so I try not to get sucked into watching them.

Yes , EG Flight of the Pheonix ( may not be spelt like that ) . A great film but had to be remade and a failure as far as I am concerned. PC may have nothing to do with it but leave old , good movies alone.

• Like 1

What about sharknado or snakes on a plane? Truly cinematic greats of our time. Reminiscent of the golden years of Hollywood 

Watch several times and really soak up the angst.........

Edited by starky
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, starky said:

What about sharknado or snakes on a plane? Truly cinematic greats of our time. Reminiscent of the golden years of Hollywood 

Watch several times and really soak up the angst.........

Snakes on a plane was made because they asked people what they wanted to see, and apparently it was snakes on a plane. Perhaps they had something different in mind when they answered.

On 11/30/2021 at 7:40 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I tried to think of a better western made film than The Revenant in the past decade and couldn't come up with one, which is probably an indictment of the movie industry of late. I don't consider it to be a great movie, but that may be because I dislike Leo.

Next time you watch a film try Leo 8 with it or better still Beerlao IPA.

On 12/3/2021 at 1:38 PM, BritManToo said:

The best films ever were 'Fight club' and 'American Beauty'

Those two movies changed my life, I even got the year off with pay!

I guess that although we have similar viewpoints on women, we are 180 opposite on movies.

I didn't like Fight Club at all, and American Beauty was not that great, IMO.

Japanese anime floats my boat, and I like movies that leave me feeling up, not depressed and melancholy.