Thailand bans arrivals from 8 African countries as a precaution against new COVID-19 variant Omicron

Jonathan Fairfield

It is very dangerous to travel right now.  Dangerous because you need to worry about the other part of your trip - getting home.  

I hope that this variant is nothing, but it could very well not be.  And if it is of a significant concern, you may find yourself in a hard position to get home, or have your trip to Thailand suddenly cancelled because of, well, who knows what?  Will it arrive there with their silly opening and lack of leadership (more interested in staying open than restricting travel from certain countries) or whatever scenario you want to put in here.

I know from my home country - if you choose to travel internationally it is not recommended and you are ON YOUR OWN. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Now in Austria, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Belgium, Israel, UK, Italy, Hong Kong, Botswana and South Africa. What a difference a couple of days makes.

Germany should be on the red list anyway due the uncontrolled outbreaks there, much worse than anything that happened there last year, despire abundance of vaccines.Now it is classified as low risk by the Thais who only think about the euros well heeled German tourists are going to dump on them, not the germs they will bring. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Germany should be on the red list anyway due the uncontrolled outbreaks there, much worse than anything that happened there last year, despire abundance of vaccines.Now it is classified as low risk by the Thais who only think about the euros well heeled German tourists are going to dump on them, not the germs they will bring. 

Was thinking the same.

Last year number with 20k max and now 60k and first cases of Omicron.

Let's see how long Thailand is trying to ignore those facts.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RafPinto said:

Was thinking the same.

Last year number with 20k max and now 60k and first cases of Omicron.

Let's see how long Thailand is trying to ignore those facts.

It's bad - in that I believe Thailand will have it first like everyone else and the bans from other countries will start right away.  

If that's the case, good luck getting home or to Thailand.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, itsari said:

I have read that the omicron variation has mutated from A HIV infected person most probably in South Africa .

Very worrisome to say the least .

Dont be confused Willy , google the statement and do something positive

• Haha 2

Pfizer and Moderna are currently testing their vaccines for effectiveness on this variant.  They should have better info in a couple of weeks.  If needed they have said a new booster could be made within 3 months for the new variant.  JNJ is also testing their vacinne against Omicron but didn't say anything about a new booster.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Appears that the timely Omicron is already disrupting flight schedules worldwide - 

The sensationalized fear mongering is spreading faster than the latest bug......one that we really don't know much about yet. 

I was at Suvarnabhumi Airport yesterday and all the flights from China / Asia had been cancelled.  Shanghai, Chengdu, Taiwan, Hong Kong,  Doha, Incheon S. Korea, some city in Siberia (started with an R, I had to look it up) and another city in China that I can't remember.  That was only a 2 hour time frame on the departure board.  All the rest of the flights leaving ok.  hum?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but a whimper.

500% more infectious than Delta which was more infectious than previous variants. 32 mutations in the spike protein. Sadly, we may need to get ready for another year of lock downs.

https://www.newsweek.com/new-covid-variant-possibly-500-percent-more-infectious-delta-1653596

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

33 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

It's the virologists and scientists advising the governments. With media outlets reporting. Most governments are just trying to protect their citizens during this once in a lifetime global pandemic that's killed millions.

bla bla bla....

you are so funny, thank you so much for the Sunday laugh !

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1