Thailand bans arrivals from 8 African countries as a precaution against new COVID-19 variant Omicron

Jonathan Fairfield

37 minutes ago, WHansen said:

A year ago we had a similar response to the S.A Beta.....

At the moment this is all cautionary as not enough is currently known

Why single out Beta? We had the same reaction to Alpha and Delta as well Remember "15 going down to zero" and "It will be gone before easter"? Waiting until we know we have a deadly plague that will kill millions before we act doesn't seem that prudent to me. There are better game plans. What we actually need is a hard and fast lock down until we know what we are dealing with and can then make an educated plan.

4 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

This is just madness.  The new variant will get into Thailand whatever they do - just as the Delta variant did. What are we going to do? Close the world forever?  What happened to learning to live with the virus Mr. Chan-oh-Cha?

Trip planned for 29 December, booked, paid for, Thailand Pass received - 2 cases in the UK already, there will be more.  Very doubtful my trip will go ahead - I cannot accept 14 days quarantine.

There was a report on UK TV this morning with a live interview of a doctor in South Africa who has been dealing with patients infected with the new variant. All the patients this doctor has dealt with had been double vaccinated and ALL only had mild symptoms - yet to see how it affects people who have not been vaccinated.

The answer seems quite simple - get the population vaccinated and get on with your life!!  Let those who don't want the vaccine take their chances.

We don't really know how effective the current vaccines are with this new variant and won't for some time. I'd be leary of a report from one doctor in south Africa. We need more time to study it.

As for the unvaccinated. They are the reason for this variant and the current chaos. Time for mandates.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

This is just madness.  The new variant will get into Thailand whatever they do - just as the Delta variant did. What are we going to do? Close the world forever?  What happened to learning to live with the virus Mr. Chan-oh-Cha?

Trip planned for 29 December, booked, paid for, Thailand Pass received - 2 cases in the UK already, there will be more.  Very doubtful my trip will go ahead - I cannot accept 14 days quarantine.

There was a report on UK TV this morning with a live interview of a doctor in South Africa who has been dealing with patients infected with the new variant. All the patients this doctor has dealt with had been double vaccinated and ALL only had mild symptoms - yet to see how it affects people who have not been vaccinated.

The answer seems quite simple - get the population vaccinated and get on with your life!!  Let those who don't want the vaccine take their chances.

I understand your frustrations , yet anyone travelling in these pandemic times has to be aware of the pit-falls involved ,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

Yes. Unless a country bans all travel and seals its borders WHICH INCLUDES STOPPING POLITICIANS FROM TRAVELLING - travel bans will do very little other than slow down the inevitable.  The UK for example has banned travel from a number of infected countries but the Omicron variant is present in several EU countries that are not covered by restricted travel.  There are 2 cases in the UK already and there will almost certainly be more.

But that's what they are trying to do. Slow down the inevitable so they can get more prepared. They admit this.

• Like 1

Just now, itsari said:

I understand your frustrations , yet anyone travelling in these pandemic times has to be aware of the pit-falls involved ,

I got stuck in Portugal for several weeks due to rule changes. Traveling right now is really frustrating.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I got stuck in Portugal for several weeks due to rule changes. Traveling right now is really frustrating.

Certainly scuppering my earlyish semi retirement plans................................

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Unfortunately, if Thailand did not ban entry from certain countries with known cases, then other countries will stop travel from Thailand.

It's just politicians pretending to protect their people, as any new variant that spreads quicker than the old model will be everywhere in time - but impotent politicians have to be seen to do something, even if it adds no value and wrecks the economy.

UK now has the new variant, so maybe next on the ban list?

The WHO were very quick to flag up the Omicron variant as being of considerable concern, meaning it must be taken seriously.  Countries are responding accordingly .  It is said that the current vaccinations will not give the same protection as before even if double jabbed with a booster.  In the UK Johnson is still promising that Christmas will be as normal this year but nobody is buying his bull anymore.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

The WHO were very quick to flag up the Omicron variant as being of considerable concern, meaning it must be taken seriously.  Countries are responding accordingly .  It is said that the current vaccinations will not give the same protection as before even if double jabbed with a booster.  In the UK Johnson is still promising that Christmas will be as normal this year but nobody is buying his bull anymore.

It will take 100 days to modify the vaccines to cope with omicron .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1