Time Machine: Pick a Year in you Would Go Back To

1 hour ago, swissie said:

Same here, also 1st in 1998. I truly thought that the Biblical "Garden of Eden" was moved to Pattaya.

I guess since this is a Thailand forum, 1974 was my first time here... Pattaya was a dusty main street w/a few bungalows... Bangkok was quint - Sathorn Tai had a canal in the middle... it might be nice to revisit that era... 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

None.  My life and focus is on the future.

People who constantly think about the past that I know are mostly "I wish" failures.

Nobody said you have to go in time in your life to correct anything.

You could go back and participate in historic events. Or maybe have a chat with Einstein. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I had to think a few minutes about that one. And obviously one big question is under which conditions would I be able to go back? I.e. could I live my own life again with the knowledge from the future? Or just visit and watch?

One time which I would like to go back to visit is the time before mass tourism and before instant propagation of anything on the internet.

And then I would love to visit places how they really used to be before tourists took over. A good example is the Maya beach. I would love to visit it like this:

Maya-Bay-Recovering-2.jpg

because now it is only available similar to this:

maya-bay2.jpg

And that is the truth with many destinations. Rome, Venice, many mountains, all those places which are now full of tourists and tourist shops.

James Bond Island was ruined by tourist junk stalls waaaaaay back in the early 90s. Tourism has been destroying places for a very long time.

As for Maya Bay, had Leo not ruined the movie, the bay would, IMO, still be a largely unknown place. Sadly, I doubt most of those people in the photo even saw the movie, and ironically Richard, the character Leo played in the movie, despised and loathed the tourist hordes.

1973, the year I arrived in Singapore. Best country outside Antarctica ( I know Antarctica isn't a country, but whatever ) I ever lived in, and back then it was a load of fun to live in, before it went sterile and boring.

I visited Thailand in 1974 and saw nothing I'd want to go back for. That changed some 15 years later, of course.

On 11/28/2021 at 11:11 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I had to think a few minutes about that one. And obviously one big question is under which conditions would I be able to go back? I.e. could I live my own life again with the knowledge from the future? Or just visit and watch?

One time which I would like to go back to visit is the time before mass tourism and before instant propagation of anything on the internet.

And then I would love to visit places how they really used to be before tourists took over. A good example is the Maya beach. I would love to visit it like this:

Maya-Bay-Recovering-2.jpg

because now it is only available similar to this:

maya-bay2.jpg

And that is the truth with many destinations. Rome, Venice, many mountains, all those places which are now full of tourists and tourist shops.

Don't' need to back any year, you could go next week while covid is on. In the last two years i have been to a few islands withbeautiful deserted and pristine beaches

• Like 1

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

For twenty minutes it's easy to concentrate on non verbal communication. ???? 

The first time I came in Thailand in 1986, I was so surprised and seduced that I used to spend twenty minutes with two or three different girls every day... ????

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Personally I think the arrival of telephones was not really a problem. I.e. when I was the first time on a holiday in Thailand I didn't call anybody - that was way too expensive. A postcard, which often arrived after the return, was enough. And nobody panicked because they didn't have any news from you for a couple of month.

8896759_R_Z001A?w=750&h=440&qlt=70

If that is your first recollection of a telephone, you are not as old as I assumed. Try one of these little beauties, which were in mass use when I was knee high to a grasshopper.

Candlestick Phone.jpg

25 minutes ago, Surasak said:

If that is your first recollection of a telephone, you are not as old as I assumed. Try one of these little beauties, which were in mass use when I was knee high to a grasshopper.

Candlestick Phone.jpg

I am not really sooooo old. ????

I chose that picture for a reason. Because it represents (for me) the time before mobile phones became popular but not really old like the phone you show in your picture. I.e. around 1990 people still used those rotary phones and some like i.e. my parents, used it only for important calls like i.e. to a doctor. Chitchat was something people did in person and not on the phone.

• Like 2