Time Machine: Pick a Year in you Would Go Back To

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

I think I'd like to go back to around 1967, when I was promoted to the first 11 football team in a senior division, and was getting paid for playing the sport that I loved.

I was fitter than ever, and in the off-season I enjoyed many parties and good times, but still kept up a training routine.

I was an electrical apprentice and loved my job, as I was learning new things all of the time..........don't think I have ever matched those times again, although the years I worked for American Express in New Zealand were also extremely exciting, but that's a different story and a different year and more!

Thanks for this comment.

I think it's good that we remember from time to time the good times which we had when we didn't have much money. And we still enjoyed life.

• Like 1

Depends on the rules of the game. If it's a one way trip I wouldn't want to go to the wild west but it would be fun to spend a week or two and come back. Life back then sucked for most people. 

If the rules mean that going back in time means you get younger too then sign me up.

But going back at my current age to a time when I was 20 or 10 would be a mixed bag, except for the bit about knowing what's going to happen, and seeing family and friends.

For example I work in an office job and the thought of not being able to work at home or to have paper files, or that the most hi tech thing is computer punch cards, then no thanks. 

• Like 2

1990 Calcutta Cup Weekend.

I don't think I'd like to go back for a whole year. 
It would take too much time out of my career, and I'd struggle to explain my absence to potential employers.

"So, Mr Cowboy, where have you been since you left your last employ?"

"In the early '90s"
That's not going to wash, is it?
I might as well shave my head, and claim I had been in prison for crimes of minor violence (fraud would not be a good alternative)
For all that it was a great game, I think I would decline the opportunity of going back to watch it again, out of humdrum mediocratic trepidation.

You might rail against me, and say that I lack imagination, can-do spirit, Boys' Own intrepidation, but I don't see anyone else taking this suggestion seriously.  I'm guessing the guys who are not commenting on this thread are thinking "I'm not going to get burnt again.  Once bitten, twice shy..." Though why they would choose to come back to now fills me with nothing but dread for the future

SC

The late 90s early 00s. The girls were starting to get !liberated in asia. The internet hadn't let everyman and his dog know about it yet.

I had friends in the uk richer, taller, more handsome or harder workers than me, but because I had the  coconuts to get on a plane and fly to the relative unknown I did better than all of them.

1985 in NYC. The ratio of single, available women to straight men was 7 to 1. I lived there at the time. It was ridiculous. Gorgeous women were desperate for a decent man, and very open to something casual. And the city was expensive, but not out of control like now. 

Those were the days. 

On 11/30/2021 at 4:07 PM, Surasak said:

If that is your first recollection of a telephone, you are not as old as I assumed. Try one of these little beauties, which were in mass use when I was knee high to a grasshopper.

Candlestick Phone.jpg

That's so modern, that is. First phone I used was a can with a bit of string to another.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

1985 in NYC. The ratio of single, available women to straight men was 7 to 1. I lived there at the time. It was ridiculous. Gorgeous women were desperate for a decent man, and very open to something casual. And the city was expensive, but not out of control like now. 

Those were the days. 

I didn't live in NYC in 1985 and I don't recollect any single available women where I lived. Perhaps that was a good thing as I did a lot more than I would have, had I spent it bonking women all the time.

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for this comment.

I think it's good that we remember from time to time the good times which we had when we didn't have much money. And we still enjoyed life.

The times I remember with fondness all happened when I didn't have much money. Like they say, one can't buy real friends or happiness.

The things I remember as being bad all involved money.