Phuket Opinion: Same old games

webfact

2 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

In most countries, you will need a valid license before you are allowed to rent a motorbike. So fine the rental shops as well. I wonder who owns them, and at what 'rate' they are allowed to rent out bikes to unlicensed foreigners.  With taxi prices what they are on Phuket, I can understand that it's a lot easier to rent a motorbike.

I have a friend who has a good few bikes and cars for rent and in the past they have been fined, from what she tells me it was for not having an International Driving Permit. so the police were on to it, 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

If the RTP did enforce the law for EVERYONE nobody would complain, but they are very selective....

Not because a foreigner rides a mototcycle with probably no valid driverslicense, but hold every Thai and let them show A drivers license or a helmet, or one with 2 on a motorcycle instead of 3,4,5... Than I agree with do the crime..... pay the fine

Good grief guys did you not learn as children 'just because he does it doesn't mean you can' 

It's a personal individual risk, you get pulled breaking the law you broke the law. If circumstances dictate you are more likely to be stopped, then as that individual you already know when setting out your risk is greater than others 

Time to grow up 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Or do in Rome as the Romans do......

but stilll.. If Thailand wants more tourists and they are chasing them because drinking alcohol, smoking e cigarettes, or riding motorcycles and whatever more there is a long way to go before a lot of tourists will come back...Or don't you think foreigners don't talk about it when they come back at home???  

Apparently there are those who think they can get away with it, possibly consider those caught unlucky ????

I spoke to a farang tourist a few weeks back who asked me where to rent a bike he told me the last time he was here in Phuket he rented a bike from one of these many shops along the road that have a few bikes for rent, anyway off he goes only to get stopped by the police and the tabien rot is out of date, he didn't know he is only a tourist and cannot read Thai, he told the police he had rented the bike and he had the rental contract in the bike he had to pay 500 baht. which is wrong to me the police should have confiscated the bike not let him ride off and make the owners go to the police station and sort it out. Bye the way he didn't get the 500 baht back off the renter.

6 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Foreigners  think they have the right to flout the law, drive drunk, driver without valid licenses,  drive without a proper test, drive without helmets...they are pests and its good  to see the police crackdown

dear putting down the hammer in 2021  one size does not fit all.  im a respectful foreigner.  i drive sanely.  i have valid drivers license.  am i a pest?  should i be arrested 

9 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Foreigners  think they have the right to flout the law, drive drunk, driver without valid licenses,  drive without a proper test, drive without helmets...they are pests and its good  to see the police crackdown

When I ride my bike (occasionally on a beautiful early morning to the gym and back) in Patong I have been nearly smashed into or driven over by nutter falang tourists riding art crazy speeds, overtaking on the right etc on many occasions in all states of undress as you mention over the last few years of life here.

Of course since 'the situation' the roads have been almost empty especially of nutter falang tourists ... and a joy top ride/drive around on ... thank the Gods! 

Still gotta watch out for those nutter Thais on bikes and in pickups lol ???????? (Saw a few guys in a pickup crossing Yaowarat Rd Tesco's intersection mid morning the other day go fully airborn at an insane speed - 100kms ?! and almost lost it entirely on the hard spark producing landing lol ????????????????!!!!). 

I don't look forward to the return of millions of outa their head tourist riders (except for the help to the Thai traders their trade brings). Back to driving the big protective SUV I guess instead of enjoying the bike as much I guess.

10 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

When I ride my bike (occasionally on a beautiful early morning to the gym and back) in Patong I have been nearly smashed into or driven over by nutter falang tourists riding art crazy speeds, overtaking on the right etc on many occasions in all states of undress as you mention over the last few years of life here.

Of course since 'the situation' the roads have been almost empty especially of nutter falang tourists ... and a joy top ride/drive around on ... thank the Gods! 

Still gotta watch out for those nutter Thais on bikes and in pickups lol ???????? (Saw a few guys in a pickup crossing Yaowarat Rd Tesco's intersection mid morning the other day go fully airborn at an insane speed - 100kms ?! and almost lost it entirely on the hard spark producing landing lol ????????????????!!!!). 

I don't look forward to the return of millions of outa their head tourist riders (except for the help to the Thai traders their trade brings). Back to driving the big protective SUV I guess instead of enjoying the bike as much I guess.