Lots of fish at Nai Harn

snoop1130

01.jpg

Photo: Aroon Soros

PHUKET: Local fishermen at Nai Harn were gifted a bumper haul yesterday (Nov 29) when hundreds of small fish locally called “Pla Thong Mae Mai” were caught in their nets set up in the shallows just off the beach.

Boonsom Phonrob, Village Headman (Phu Yai Baan) of Moo. 1, Rawai, explained that he along with a group of local fishermen were fishing at the beach, as is usual as the community is a traditional fishing village, when they noticed their nets were full.

Tourists stood by in wonder as the fishermen brought ashore their haul, mostly spotted halfbeak fish but also some larger fish.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/lots-of-fish-at-nai-harn-82212.php

pkt..jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-11-30

• Like 2

On 12/1/2021 at 6:50 AM, jcmj said:

Hopefully the fish population has grown over the past couple of years of semi peace. 

unfortunately it's very opposite: my friends divers report that the overall fish population around Phuket, Racha and Phi Phi islands severily decreased since the beginning of COVID, most likely because fishermen were taking every opportunity to earn at least something.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, fdsa said:

unfortunately it's very opposite: my friends divers report that the overall fish population around Phuket, Racha and Phi Phi islands severily decreased since the beginning of COVID, most likely because fishermen were taking every opportunity to earn at least something.

Your friend is wrong.

On 12/1/2021 at 6:50 AM, jcmj said:

Hopefully the fish population has grown over the past couple of years of semi peace. 

No. It’s still difficult to catch anything closer to the shore. Even Koh Racha Noi is no good for bottom fishing. 

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

Your friend is wrong.

When have you seen a zebra shark at the Shark Point for the last time? A reef shark at Bida Nok?

My personal experience: found fishing traps made of steel wire (which are impossible to cut as I usually do with traps made of rope) straight at Racha Yai and Racha Noi shores, just about about 20-30m distance from the island border, not 500m away as a common rumour says about "permitted distance for fishermen". Also found huge fish traps straight on the top of King Cruiser.

Edited by fdsa

Zebrashark ( or leopard shark as they're called here) last time I was there, about a week ago or so. Haven't been to Bida Nok for some time, but only hear good stories from all divers,.

Yes, fishtraps in many places, but the diving has been really good.

• Like 1