Thailand reports 4,971 new COVID-19 cases, 33 deaths, 5,402 recoveries

webfact

COV2.jpg

File photo: REUTERS

Thailand on Thursday (December 2) reported 4,971 new COVID-19 cases, 5,402 recoveries and 33 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

▶︎ Infections outside prisons: 4,773. Prisons: 198

▶︎ Recoveries: 5,402

▶︎ Total infections since April 1: 2,096,866

▶︎ Total recoveries since since April 1: 2,003,730

Thursday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 2,125,729 with 20,847 deaths.

The news comes as the new coronavirus variant, known as Omicron, is likely to replace the Delta variant as the dominant strain if it continues to spread quickly and easily, said Dr. Yong Poovorawan, chief of the Centre of Excellence in Clinical Virology at Chulalongkorn University today (Wednesday).

In his Facebook post, Thailand’s leading virologist said there is evidence of high transmissibility of the Omicron variant, citing epidemiological evidence from South Africa’s Gauteng province, which shows a rapid spread of the variant over two weeks and its emergence in more than 20 other countries.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update2DEC).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-12-02

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

43 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

PCR test positive cases, total of 4,971 official new infections. 33 official covid deaths recorded.

Rapid tests positive cases, 1,788 bringing the total of PCR and ATK results to 6,759

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

Rolling 7 day average chart (up to 30 Nov) and bar chart of both PCR and ATK totals

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/thailand

image.png.336a4d8b64a6039fc556327111420c93.png

image.png.c5ab4c1705fff91d9c2753da01b1320e.png

The graph does show the declines and slight rise of cases found by PCR testing and it is now holding pretty steady within the 4k range for the past few days.  The issue facing this government and others is that although many folks who have traveled from SA were negative in either their pre-departure test for Covid a few have tested positive on arrival here as well as elsewhere for the new variant that is spreading.  Read an article late last night that indicated California had found the first traveler with Omicron in the US and they had been tested prior to flying and yet were to soon in their initial vaccinations to be given a booster which may or may not be effective with this variant.  Only time will tell. Thailand needs to up the game with their genomic sequencing as it has now been determined that Nigeria was seeing the first cases of the new variant well before SA.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Looks like the number keeps going up............

Thai officials attempt to track down 783 travellers from Africa for Omicron testing

“Don’t panic. The police are urgently working together with the Ministry of Public Health.”

I wonder what the total numbers of arrivals from SA has been since December 1, and if many were true tourists who may have already gone elsewhere.  Checking the Immigration database might help eliminate some.  However, the isse at hand is that if even one of them now tests positive, asymptomatic, you have to track everywhere they have been and contact anyone in the proximity to be tested as well if they truly want to get ahead of this.  

If they do not want to get ahead of this, then they should let sleeping dogs rest and until someone ends up arriving at a hospital or testing prior to flying back out positive, then we may never know the true extent of if it is here or not.

Waiting a few more weeks should give us a clue.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I wonder what the total numbers of arrivals from SA has been since December 1, and if many were true tourists who may have already gone elsewhere.  Checking the Immigration database might help eliminate some.  However, the iss e at hand is that if even one of them now tests positive, asymptomatic, you have to track everywhere they have been and contact anyone in the proximity to be tested as well if they truly want to get ahead of this.  

If they do not want to get ahead of this, then they should let sleeping dogs rest and until someone ends up arriving at a hospital or testing prior to flying back out positive, then we may never know the true extent of if it is here or not.

Waiting a few more weeks should give us a clue.

Given the time frame, someone could have departed southern Africa and then gone to Europe or US or Australia BEFORE coming to Thailand and not directly to Thailand.

And just why do 'WE' have to know the true extent of it being here or not?

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

In his Facebook post, Thailand’s leading virologist said there is evidence of high transmissibility of the Omicron variant, citing epidemiological evidence from South Africa’s Gauteng province, which shows a rapid spread of the variant over two weeks and its emergence in more than 20 other countries.

South Africa has around 25 - 35% vaccine coverage so this does not help the situation there at all and while that may have been due to lack of vaccines in the past its certainly not now and instead being blamed on vaccine hestiancy. Dr Yong is right, the transmissibility of Omicron seems to be outperforming Delta in its spread in Gauteng,

"NEW: updated chart showing today’s numbers from Gauteng in South Africa: Now with test positivity, for those who have asked whether this is driven by increased testing • And stating in the title that hospital admissions are a lagging indicator, as many have requested."

FFjC4OnWYAoYoZp.jpg

With many of Thailand outer provinces with very low vaccination rates such as Bueng Kan at 34.9%, Nong Bua Lamphu at 34.6% its little wonder the Thai authorities want to avoid letting this variant in now and keep it at bay until there has been more protection given to the population from vaccinations. 

I guess thats why they are so keen to track down these people who had come from Africa who happen to be Thai's as well as many other nationalities, not just Africans. Actually according to this report the number has now gone up to 1000 people being tracked in Thailand. 

I notice on yesterdays CCSA covid situation update they said that a failure to comply with coming forward to get a PCR test is a violation of Section 34 of the Communicable Diseases Act.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Do we have an updated figure for hospitalisations and deaths from the new variant yet?

No report of hospitalisations or deaths.

Latest number of cases by country:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/29/world/covid-omicron-variant-countries-list-cmd-intl/index.html

• Thanks 1

Actually it was also detected in Nigeria in Oct so maybe from there? Its still a mystery. Agree the xenophobic headlines by B.P. today were a sad indictment of journalism in Thailand and its attitude to foreigners. Its actually been amended a couple of times due to the outrage on twitter but its still a wrong.

There's an article here on its origins:

Where did ‘weird’ Omicron come from?

Mutations could have accumulated in a chronically infected patient, an overlooked human population, or an animal reservoir

https://www.science.org/content/article/where-did-weird-omicron-come

Edited by onthedarkside
quote of hidden post removed

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

PM Prayut Chan-o-cha vows to prevent Omicron from reaching Thai soil

Thailand’s prime minister has urged the public not to panic, but to remain vigilant against the new Omicron virus, according to government spokesperson Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana yesterday.

“We will do everything we can as a government to prevent Omicron from spreading into Thailand.” Thanakorn added that the government is seeking plans to speed up immunisations for everyone.

https://thethaiger.com/news/bangkok/pm-prayut-chan-o-cha-vows-to-prevent-omicron-from-reaching-thai-soil

What is it with these folks.  You can not stop a virus from spreading no matter how hard you try.

• Like 2

An off-topic news post focusing on Africa has been removed, along with ensuing replies. Also a general post relating to a particular COVID medication.

Yes, the Omicron variant is part of this thread's topic and suitable for discussion as it relates to Thailand, in a Thailand News subforum. So posts here relating to that should be primarily Thailand focused.

Broader discussions and posts on the Omicron variant and other issues that aren't Thailand-related probably best belong in the COVID 19 subforum.

I'm trying to understand what I perceive as an apparent misalignment between the high percentage of Bangkok residents being fully vaccinated, and the stubbornly high numbers of new cases found in Bangkok on a daily basis.

Yesterday's number showed Bangkok with 778 new cases, (the highest number within cities in the kingdom).

Yes, I know vaccinated people still catch Covid, (and maybe we're about to find out that vaccinated people will catch the Omicron variant with ease), but I imagined you would expect to see a more dramatic drop off in cases, as the percentage of fully vaccinated increased to something in the region of 95%. Daily cases have remained at around the 800 level for several weeks.

Are the statistics faulty, or is the daily reporting of new cases becoming much less relevant? Possibly Omicron has been in Thailand, (and indeed many countries), for a longer period than anyone knows.

Edited by samtam

2 hours ago, samtam said:

I'm trying to understand what I perceive as an apparent misalignment between the high percentage of Bangkok residents being fully vaccinated, and the stubbornly high numbers of new cases found in Bangkok on a daily basis.

Yesterday's number showed Bangkok with 778 new cases, (the highest number within cities in the kingdom).

Yes, I know vaccinated people still catch Covid, (and maybe we're about to find out that vaccinated people will catch the Omicron variant with ease), but I imagined you would expect to see a more dramatic drop off in cases, as the percentage of fully vaccinated increased to something in the region of 95%. Daily cases have remained at around the 800 level for several weeks.

Are the statistics faulty, or is the daily reporting of new cases becoming much less relevant? Possibly Omicron has been in Thailand, (and indeed many countries), for a longer period than anyone knows.

The numbers have dropped, it was not long ago they were over 8k and above. However  the percentage they say have been vaccinated is based on an old census of Bangkok. The numbers living here now are many many more and that would make the overall percentage lower  which they don't want.

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) WHO Thailand Situation Report 212 - 2 December

The total number of laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 cases reported in Thailand since January 2020 is now 2,125,729. The average number of community-acquired cases reported per day over the last seven days decreased by a further 16% in the last week compared to the week prior (from 6,000 to 5,049). The past four days have also all seen counts of community acquired infection below 5,000.

https://reliefweb.int/report/thailand/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-who-thailand-situation-report-212-2-december

• Like 2

6 hours ago, samtam said:

Do you truly believe there's just 7-800 cases a day in a population of 7-8 million in Bangkok. I believe the only people getting PCR now are people who end up at hospital through sickness. ATK are not counted in the official numbers and then I very much doubt a lot of the ATK positive are reported at all . UK 80%+ double vac and still 40k plus a day. That's the figures you get when doing mass testing of 1 million odd a day. How many tests is Thai doing? Not easy to find that info now, smoke and mirrors. Chonburi 100-200 a day but yet recently telling people who went to Pattaya music festival to get an ATK as, and in official words, there has been a high number of infections linked to the event. I, like yourself cannot understand why there is just 7-800 cases a day in Bangkok, I suspect it's higher personally.

COVID-19: Thailand reports 4,912 new coronavirus cases, 33 deaths, 5,844 recoveries

COVID3.jpg

File photo: REUTERS

Thailand on Friday (December 3) reported 4,912 new COVID-19 cases, 5,844 recoveries and 33 additional deaths over the past 24 hours.

Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1241726-covid-19-thailand-reports 4912-new-coronavirus-cases-33-deaths 5844-recoveries/ 

//CLOSED//

/Admin