Traffic fines

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

That's what the cop said to me 

Are you working for the BiB

Whilst I agree with the “ride on the right side of the road” where I live in Issan and the nearest town is go to the big road and turn right, but it’s a dual carriage way with central reservation barriers, so the majority turn right travel on the wrong side for about 2 km and can then cross where a gap has been left in the Armco barrier, not safe but the alternative is turn left and join a very fast road, travel 6 km do a U turn with traffic traveling at 120+ and another 9 Km back all the time on highway 2, I don’t condone wrong side driving especially not at night but I can see why many do it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Almer said:

Whilst I agree with the “ride on the right side of the road” where I live in Issan and the nearest town is go to the big road and turn right, but it’s a dual carriage way with central reservation barriers, so the majority turn right travel on the wrong side for about 2 km and can then cross where a gap has been left in the Armco barrier, not safe but the alternative is turn left and join a very fast road, travel 6 km do a U turn with traffic traveling at 120+ and another 9 Km back all the time on highway 2, I don’t condone wrong side driving especially not at night but I can see why many do it. 

This is a perfect example of how poor road design is a factor in contributing towards the massive road accident / death toll. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is a perfect example of how poor road design is a factor in contributing towards the massive road accident / death toll.

The design is not the problem - it is the people riding/driving on the road that is the problem.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 4:27 PM, richard_smith237 said:

It's also the first time I’ve read of or heard of any member of the BiB proactively pulling someone over rather than simply manning a check point. 

Near Bangkok, I've been pulled over for driving the third lane with the tailgate open (as there were a couple of bikes on the back) and got fined, as far as I remember it was 50 B that she paid.

On 12/4/2021 at 12:01 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Yes, sadly poorly designed roads are common in Thailand. 

There's a short cut to Pratumnak from my House, bypasses Theprasit and 3rd roads. 
Going to Pratumnak is straight forward but going home the turn right at the top of Theppraya is around 30 meters short of soi 15 junction. 

Poor design and poor understanding of the Thais and their obeying road rules. 
The road designers are trying to discourage the right turns at this soi 15 junction to improve road safety, what they should do is block this opening between soi 15 and traffic lights so you can't travel on the wrong side of the road. 

I rarely go home this way, I normally use Theprasit but I was in a hurry and it was early, before 8am. 
There was not much traffic, just the 1 cop on the road.

I understand why the Thais break the law and drive on the wrong side of the road, a possible 100 baht fine, it's worth the risk. 
Not me, the cop was angry with me, I won't be riding wrong side again.