5G in Thailand. What is your experience?

phetphet

It's been over two years now since 5G has been available in Thailand. At first there were hardly any phones that supported the new wavelengths, and the promised speeds, ("So fast you will be able to download a 4K movies in seconds.").

I see it advertised everywhere, and having bought a new phone that actually supports 5G, I was wondering what other's experience of the service is here in Thailand.

I went to AIS and asked about 5G packages. I am on prepaid. Of course, they try to push me towards a postpaid package. I am thinking of getting a prepaid 5G SIm card to try it for a month or two to see what it is like, but first thought I would ask others about day to day use

So a few questions?

Much faster than 4G?

Widely accessible? Or only in limited places? I would imagine far better coverage in Bangkok than provinces.

Reception quality?

Worth the extra money?

So good you could never go back to 4G?

Please feel free to add any others.

TIA.

I just got here and went to the AIS shop in Central Pattaya. they were adamant that I could only get 5G on post-paid plan and not on a tourist visa.

I just asked AIS contact centre about it and here is their responses:

"Regarding your inquiry, for change or register postpaid plan we need your passport / work permit due to service condition, 5G main package now available only postpaid plan"

"Regarding your concern. For convert this number XXXXXXXXXX to post paid we required these document please kindly check below
Another person's Document. (Foreigner)
- Original Passport with a Copy (Required)
- Work permit (At least three months validity) OR
- Original Certificate Employee from Employer (due not over one month) OR
- Latest Payslip OR
- Copy of House Registration
Please kindly inform me again if you have the document and confirm to convert the number.
           Hope you will stay safe during this COVID-19 situation."

• Like 1

In my condo in central Bangkok (Asoke/Sukhumvit) I got a 5g router from AIS because the condo internet is only ADSL speed 50/20 due to aging copper cable, I got speed of around 250-300 mbps, downloading big thing like big game is pretty quick. Streaming - not much difference over slower connections, and the monthly cost of around 1000+ a month for unlimited data plus around 8000 baht for the router (new ones are going for around 3000 baht now) is not worth it unless you really need the speed and can't have it any other way (fiber to the room/home is cheaper and faster if you can get it)

and I doubt anything on phones from streaming movies and music is gonna need anything that fast

• Like 1

2 hours ago, digbeth said:

In my condo in central Bangkok (Asoke/Sukhumvit) I got a 5g router from AIS because the condo internet is only ADSL speed 50/20 due to aging copper cable, I got speed of around 250-300 mbps, downloading big thing like big game is pretty quick. Streaming - not much difference over slower connections, and the monthly cost of around 1000+ a month for unlimited data plus around 8000 baht for the router (new ones are going for around 3000 baht now) is not worth it unless you really need the speed and can't have it any other way (fiber to the room/home is cheaper and faster if you can get it)

and I doubt anything on phones from streaming movies and music is gonna need anything that fast

thanks mate, that makes me feel slightly better about not being able to get 5G because I'm a pesky tourist ????

4 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

I just got here and went to the AIS shop in Central Pattaya. they were adamant that I could only get 5G on post-paid plan and not on a tourist visa.

I just asked AIS contact centre about it and here is their responses:

"Regarding your inquiry, for change or register postpaid plan we need your passport / work permit due to service condition, 5G main package now available only postpaid plan"

"Regarding your concern. For convert this number XXXXXXXXXX to post paid we required these document please kindly check below
Another person's Document. (Foreigner)
- Original Passport with a Copy (Required)
- Work permit (At least three months validity) OR
- Original Certificate Employee from Employer (due not over one month) OR
- Latest Payslip OR
- Copy of House Registration
Please kindly inform me again if you have the document and confirm to convert the number.
           Hope you will stay safe during this COVID-19 situation."

And yet on their website, they are clearly showing a sim card for 1-2-C, (1-2-Call) which is their prepaid sim, with 5G on it.:

https://www.ais.th/theonesim/en/?id=20&intcid=getpage-en-header_menu-consumer_menu-prepaid_submenu1-newsim_package_submenu2-theonesim_submenu3

Screenshot 2021-12-05 at 17.05.11.png

7 minutes ago, phetphet said:

And yet on their website, they are clearly showing a sim card for 1-2-C, (1-2-Call) which is their prepaid sim, with 5G on it.:

https://www.ais.th/theonesim/en/?id=20&intcid=getpage-en-header_menu-consumer_menu-prepaid_submenu1-newsim_package_submenu2-theonesim_submenu3

Screenshot 2021-12-05 at 17.05.11.png

indeed. and nothing in the T&C's about the qualifying conditions that I was quoted. oh dear, how sad, never mind ????

5 hours ago, phetphet said:

I went to AIS and asked about 5G packages. I am on prepaid.

I experimented with all three 5G's offerings. You can add-on 5G to a AIS/One-2-Call pre-paid SIM. They should be sending you SMSes? Or use the MyAIS app.

If you want to experiment press *777*7503# Send. 1.5 GB max speed, for 24 hours for 25 baht. There's gazillions of other options.

I assume your phone supports 5G on AIS's network.

AIS Coverage: https://www.ais.th/5g/en/coverage.html?intcid=5gindex-th-banner-coverage

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I experimented with all three 5G's offerings. You can add-on 5G to a AIS/One-2-Call pre-paid SIM. They should be sending you SMSes? Or use the MyAIS app.

If you want to experiment press *777*7503# Send. 1.5 GB max speed, for 24 hours for 25 baht. There's gazillions of other options.

I assume your phone supports 5G on AIS's network.

AIS Coverage: https://www.ais.th/5g/en/coverage.html?intcid=5gindex-th-banner-coverage

I just tried this and it works! speed test result was 261/109. so why did they tell me I couldn't get 5G unless postpaid and work permit? whatever, it's sorted now, thanks mate

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I just tried this and it works! speed test result was 261/109. so why did they tell me I couldn't get 5G unless postpaid and work permit? whatever, it's sorted now, thanks mate

I think staff maybe get a bonus or commission for each customer they get to sign up for post paid.

When I went to my local AIS shop, the girl only offered me post paid, and even wrote her name on a piece of paper and said, "Ask for me when you come in to sign up."

All the speeds that I have seen offered don't seem a great deal faster than what's already offered on 4G. Maybe looking in the wrong places.

5 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I think staff maybe get a bonus or commission for each customer they get to sign up for post paid.

When I went to my local AIS shop, the girl only offered me post paid, and even wrote her name on a piece of paper and said, "Ask for me when you come in to sign up."

All the speeds that I have seen offered don't seem a great deal faster than what's already offered on 4G. Maybe looking in the wrong places.

its mind-boggling but TIT right? I'm so glad you posted your question and that knowledgeable people like @mtls2005shared their knowledge. 

I'm in Pattaya and the 5G speed is heaps faster than what I was getting on 4G so I'm happier than a pig in you-know-what right now ????

7 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

its mind-boggling but TIT right? I'm so glad you posted your question and that knowledgeable people like @mtls2005shared their knowledge. 

I'm in Pattaya and the 5G speed is heaps faster than what I was getting on 4G so I'm happier than a pig in you-know-what right now ????

Did you get a prepaid package? If so, which one?

Coming from way, way, downunder, ... you know the place, that land where all the convicts were sent. Comparing LOS to OZ the 4G and 5G here is superb. I got AIS 5G home and mobile (home is near new installed fibre, and a near new iPhone 13).

The signal coverage and consistency of AIS for me all over the place is amazing. Riding around in the boonies nth, sth, east, n west of Chiang mai for example and its like sitting in the frigin' MQuartier lol ???? 

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 12:32 PM, digbeth said:

So very true.

Using it as a substitute for cable internet where not available: yes.

Any use/advantage staring on a mobile? No.

It bemuses me that anyone would consider watching a 4k video on a screen sized like 6 inch.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

I have a AIS one 2 call prepaid package for over a month now. The 5G cellular is a little bit faster in city areas eq. Bangkok, Huahin etc. My experience in rural areas Si Sa Ket province make no difference to 4G. 5G Wifi in home is definitely faster than 2.4G. But keep in mind that a constant 5G connection drains your battery much faster. And if you only using your phone for messaging and send pictures and movies a normal connection will do. My AIS have a good connection in especially the rural areas what is important for me. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Generation.

In WiFi, Giga.

Yes and a wonderful chance to mix up 5G mobile with 5 GHz WiFi.

Happens over and over.

Gen 1: analog stuff

Gen 2: GSM and similar, THE basis for digital mobile phone

Gen 3: UMTS

Gen 4: LTE

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kenneth White said:

Does anyone know what the G stands for in 5G?

To my knowledge "G" must still be "generation", as 3G were called "third generation".

That's why I recently here in Thailand upgraded my tin foil hat to version 5.0, i.e. fifth generation...:thumbsup:

98px-Foil-hat_IMG20210116115420_01CR.jpg

• Haha 1

Hum. From what I understand is G or gray is a measure of radiation em

16 hours ago, khunPer said:

To my knowledge "G" must still be "generation", as 3G were called "third generation".

That's why I recently here in Thailand upgraded my tin foil hat to version 5.0, i.e. fifth generation...:thumbsup:

98px-Foil-hat_IMG20210116115420_01CR.jpg

Hum. From what I understand is G or gray is a measure of radiation emitted. 

6 hours ago, Kenneth White said:

Hum. From what I understand is G or gray is a measure of radiation em

Hum. From what I understand is G or gray is a measure of radiation emitted. 

Sure, and that's why the version 5.0 tin foil hat needs a wider hat-shade than the previous ones I wore...:thumbsup:

However, according to Google...

Fifth-generation wireless (5G) is the latest iteration of cellular technology, engineered to greatly increase the speed and responsiveness of wireless networks.

• Thanks 1