5G in Thailand. What is your experience?

phetphet

Have a few data points to add here.

I've had the same AIS prepaid number for more than 15 years now. Used to live in Thailand full time, but for the last 8 years been working in the States, and just visiting here from time to time. I just arrived a few weeks ago with my USA-purchased Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G (unlocked, SM-N986U1), and popped my Thai SIM card in when I got here. Signed up for a 5G data plan, but never got the 5G symbol; just LTE.

Went into an AIS shop in Bangkok, thinking maybe it was a configuration setting issue. They worked with it, then told me I needed a new SIM card. So in goes a new SIM card, they fiddled with my account settings on their computer, then hand the phone back to me (like we're all done.) I look at the phone, and it's just the same as when I walked in the door;  just an LTE symbol.

So I asked about that, they seemed puzzled, then asked a colleague. He says it takes 1 hour for everything on the network to reset. Okay, whatever. I go back to the hotel, it's still the same. Check the next morning, it's still the same. I realize "I don't know" still isn't part of the vocabulary here.

Fly up to Khon Kaen, see AIS 5G ads all over the place up there too. I check with an AIS office there. They worked with it there quite a bit, and with my account settings and packages. Three people huddled on it. Finally, they pulled one of their floor model Note 20 Ultra 5Gs, and popped my SIM card in it. Light it up, and it's got 5G. Put my SIM card back in my phone, and it's back to LTE. At least now we know it's a hardware/out of market equipment issue.

I thought with 5G those days would have been behind us. Unfortunately, not.

Any ideas here? Is it different 5G frequency bands used here, compared to the States? Or some other incompatibility?

One final point: The wife and daughter have US-purchased Galaxy A71 5G phones. Theirs don't pull in 5G either.   

The only reasons I could think of that your 5G might not work would be the phone being for a specific market or a fault. It seems strange that your phone 5G phone won't connect to 5G.

Saying that your family member's phones won't work either points to the phones being market specific.

Have you tried turning off wifi to see if it will grab a 5G signal? 

I was only looking last week at iPhone specs. The US (and some other markets) have iPhones with some slight differences i.e. sub millimetre 5G added. but most iPhones are considered "Global phones" in that they will work in the majority of markets.

Yes, I agree that there is some sort of "market-specific" factor going on here. I've had WiFi off; that didn't change anything re: network 5G. 

I remember the oppositee happening back around 2013 or so; I had a Note II I bought here, and using it in the States, it was okay on phone calls, and got internet, but it was only pulling in the previous generation (2G I think) at the time. 

So it seems like there are issues even today with current, top-end phones not operating optimally in markets outside of where they were purchased. 

It would just be nice to know specifically what those issues are, so perhaps the next time one can look closer at the specs to identify if there will be issues.

At any rate, I'm just here for 3 weeks this time, and it's working plenty fine with LTE for what my needs are during this short period.

10 hours ago, Sam Drucker said:

Yes, I agree that there is some sort of "market-specific" factor going on here. I've had WiFi off; that didn't change anything re: network 5G. 

I remember the oppositee happening back around 2013 or so; I had a Note II I bought here, and using it in the States, it was okay on phone calls, and got internet, but it was only pulling in the previous generation (2G I think) at the time. 

So it seems like there are issues even today with current, top-end phones not operating optimally in markets outside of where they were purchased. 

It would just be nice to know specifically what those issues are, so perhaps the next time one can look closer at the specs to identify if there will be issues.

At any rate, I'm just here for 3 weeks this time, and it's working plenty fine with LTE for what my needs are during this short period.

List below shows the US version SM-N986U and international version SM-N986B have different 5G bands.

As you say. It's not the end of the world.

5G bands

2, 5, 41, 66, 71, 260, 261 SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave - SM-N986U
  1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 28, 40, 77, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6 - SM-N986B
  41, 66, 71 Sub6 - SM-N986W
Speed HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (7CA) Cat20 2000/200 Mbps, 5G

4 hours ago, phetphet said:

List below shows the US version SM-N986U and international version SM-N986B have different 5G bands.

As you say. It's not the end of the world.

5G bands

1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 28, 40, 77, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6 - SM-N986B
  41, 66, 71 Sub6 - SM-N986W
Speed HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (7CA) Cat20 2000/200 Mbps, 5G

Something wrong with that picture.....

AIS utilise 

n28 (700 MHz)

n41 (2500 MHz)

n258 (26 GHz)

n41 was the first band in use, to be followed by n28. SM-N986U lists n41; so it is strange that it doesn't work. SM-N986U1 should not be different from SM-N986U other than being unlocked.

15 hours ago, Sam Drucker said:

Do you have 5G switched on?

spacer.png

There are also applications that can assist you in choosing a particular Band; n41 in this case and also tell you which Bands are operating in your area.

18 hours ago, Sam Drucker said:

Any ideas here? Is it different 5G frequency bands used here, compared to the States? Or some other incompatibility?

Seems like this should work? Assuming there is coverage.

A new SIM may be required.

Make sure you power off the device, insert the SIM, power on the device.

Update system and apps (esp Carrier Services). Restart the device. What is your current Carrier settings version?

Make sure you verify Settings, Network, Preferred NEtwork type: 5G (recommended)

Make sure you're subscribed to an AIS 5G plan.  If you want to experiment press *777*7503# Send. 1.5 GB max speed, for 24 hours for 25 baht. 

20 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Something wrong with that picture.....

AIS utilise 

n28 (700 MHz)

n41 (2500 MHz)

n258 (26 GHz)

n41 was the first band in use, to be followed by n28. SM-N986U lists n41; so it is strange that it doesn't work. SM-N986U1 should not be different from SM-N986U other than being unlocked.

I got the info. from here:

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note20_ultra_5g-10261.php

Plan:  True Unlimited Post Paid

Phone: Samsung A32 5G

The fastest speed I got was 500MBPS at a restaurant located  on Nmman/Soi 12.  Average speed is about 100 MBPS in most places.  Slowest speed was inside of Maya Mall at 4to 6 MBPS.

I can easily have two devices on the phone's hotspot function and the performance so far has been impressive.  

7 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Screenshot_2021-12-03-16-15-42-71_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.ec0ce7e55ae06a8d54a10a5347bc001b.jpgIMG_20211205_054610.thumb.jpg.dbdf9f240f7ab214534c0b65730f4c8a.jpgIMG_20211205_054337.thumb.jpg.b646866332fd0417ec84568a77dc31c5.jpgScreenshot_2021-12-03-16-15-42-71_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.ec0ce7e55ae06a8d54a10a5347bc001b.jpg

Yes, n41 frequencies are different in countries

n41, would be expected to be the same everywhere. 

TD 2500 is the 5G Band name; the operating bands from 2496 to 2690 MHz

Hence the article describing 2600 MHz(n41).

3 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

2496 to 2690 Mhz

Yes, so that's the frequency range worldwide.

So, if you are Samsung, Apple, OPPO etc. you can manufacture your smartphone 5G chipset to communicate within this range. 

If America is using the 2500 Mhz frequency and Thailand is on 2600 MHz frequency there's a mismatch. 

So, your American phones 5G will not function in Thailand, it will revert back to the 4G signal 

On 12/5/2021 at 6:03 AM, phetphet said:

Much faster than 4G?

so what's the fastest 4G speed you've experienced in Thailand?

in Europe 4G+ supports 300mb soooooo are you really sure you want/need 5G OR are you getting sucked in by the marketing and consumerism? ????

32 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

So, if you are Samsung, Apple, OPPO etc. you can manufacture your smartphone 5G chipset to communicate within this range. 

If America is using the 2500 Mhz frequency and Thailand is on 2600 MHz frequency there's a mismatch. 

So, your American phones 5G will not function in Thailand, it will revert back to the 4G signal 

Nope; that's not correct.

n41(TDD) is the same everywhere. You are likely mixing it with n7(FDD). 

On 12/5/2021 at 10:03 PM, Lemsta69 said:

o why did they tell me I couldn't get 5G unless postpaid and work permit?

Because those Dumbo's don't know the first thing about their own products, same everywhere with everything.  Try asking the village idiot girl in Toyota the technical details of a new car she is there to sell you and what options are available and watch the vacant expression on her 'pretty' face. 

just looked at that AIS website, 4.5G gets up to 880mbps.......I'm sorry but if you need more than that you need to get a life lol

seriously a 100mbps landline on copper is plenty fast..........if I can upgrade to a 300mbps FTTH connection next year and get a 200-300mbps mobile connection you should be happier than a farang in a girly bar.........then concentrate on other interests lol

Edited by driver52

28 minutes ago, driver52 said:

so what's the fastest 4G speed you've experienced in Thailand?

in Europe 4G+ supports 300mb soooooo are you really sure you want/need 5G OR are you getting sucked in by the marketing and consumerism? ????

Not sucked in, but my mobile 4G experience has not always been great.. That's why I was asking here whether 5G is really that much better.

16 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Not sucked in, but my mobile 4G experience has not always been great.. That's why I was asking here whether 5G is really that much better.

sure it'll always be affected by mast location, buildings etc ie I've seen 4g speeds from 10mb to 200+ mb on a mobile....

the thing you need to be asking yourself is IF the 5G is good ALL THE TIME ie it's going through objects, etc then <deleted> is it doing to your body? ????

boomer alert: keep yer wig on, this is not a conspiracy theory, they always suppress the health issues ????

11 hours ago, Bruno123 said:
11 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Expand  

Nope; that's not correct.

n41(TDD) is the same everywhere. You are likely mixing it with n7(FDD)

As I said, n41 band using different frequencies is going to cause conflict. 

You're not going to connect. 

IMG_20211213_062317.jpg

Screenshot_2021-12-13-06-22-52-12_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

5 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Possibly, I'm no expert.

Can you explain why a Chinese or American 5G phone using n41 band won't work in Thailand and vice versa? 

How do you know that it won't work? It's only you saying so. Your information is outdated; n28 has the most extensive coverage here.

9 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's quite easy to say someone is wrong

As I said,  I'm no expert.

Can you explain why a Chinese or American 5G phone using n41 band won't work in Thailand and vice versa?

As you can see; the OP's phone does not support n28. The International version of the phone does support it; 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 28, 40, 77, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6 - SM-N986B

Truemove H is utilising n28 & n41. 

3 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

How do you know that it won't work? It's only you saying so. Your information is outdated; n28 has the most extensive coverage here.

I was replying to Sam Drucker comments top of this page. 

Why don't you read this comment and get yourself up to speed. 

I've had a few friends from the States that came to visit me and they have had similar issues. 

My friend works in China, he came to visit me recently, has a Realme Q3 Pro 5G, has a 5G AIS sim but cannot get a 5G signal.

He's been into the Central Festival AIS office and the technician told him his 5G phone is not compatible with Thailand 5G network.