'Do your own research / I do my own research' has become code for conspiracy theory followers

Jingthing

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The basis of conspiracy theories is to make them so wacky that there is no real way to disprove them. Your example is a good one. There is no way to disprove that there is a teapot orbiting Mars so it's perfectly valid to insist one is and shout down anyone who challenges the proposition based on mere critical thinking.

Lazy deceitful pseudos may indeed believe their stupid stuff cannot be disproved but in fact many negatives can indeed be disproved. The ancients easily disproved the existence of an all -powerful God with a simple “unbreakable stone” riddle. Most probably, Orbital Launch & Decaying  Orbit Science could also easily disprove the Orbiting Teapot theory.

Just now, TropicalGuy said:

Lazy deceitful pseudos may indeed believe their stupid stuff cannot be disproved but in fact many negatives can indeed be disproved. The ancients easily disproved the existence of an all -powerful God with a simple “unbreakable stone” riddle. Most probably, Orbital Launch & Decaying  Orbit Science could also easily disprove the Orbiting Teapot theory.

That wouldn't matter though would it? Unless complex problems can be broken down into simple solutions they are just ignored or waved away. The solution is home schooling to prevent kids from being exposed to critical thinking. Their fixed beliefs can't be challenged.

21 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

This is an indication of a descent into a dark period of our recent past when truth didn't matter and lies became the truth. In effect, what you are saying is that lies and misinformation share the same intellectual space as the truth and demands equal time and space and where the concept of unbridled free speech supplants the need for truth and equality. .

A closer, more succinct, observation might suggest that we're not that terribly evolved - applying greatly to a particular branch of our species. 

Regression comes to mind. 

Truth.

Whatever that is.

Just now, zzaa09 said:

A closer, more succinct, observation might suggest that we're not that terribly evolved - applying greatly to a particular branch of our species. 

Regression comes to mind. 

Truth.

Whatever that is.

I'm might be one of the regressives because I don't really understand your point but I'll have a go.

All intellectual propositions fall into three categories, truth, lies or don't know. There can't be two contradictory versions of the truth. One has to be a lie.

• Thanks 1

Just now, 1FinickyOne said:

is it the giving or having? and how many people did he step on to get it?

Everybody stepped on somebody at some time. What he did 40 years ago means very little now. Your statement re the "giving or the having" is meaningless without further context.

Just now, ozimoron said:

Everybody stepped on somebody at some time. What he did 40 years ago means very little now. Your statement re the "giving or the having" is meaningless without further context.

I remember standing next to my MD as the Chairman cruised into the company carpark in his new Bentley.....he turned to me and said............. "don't ever forget, nice people don't become rich".

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

why does it mean little now? Creating a monopoly to screw everyone... and not everyone stepped on others... but he didn't stepped on some, closer to everyone... 

ps - I thought meaninglessness is part of the conversation... 

19 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

What has he done that's actually evil? Given that he's been wealthy and influential for 40 years now don't you think that would have manifested itself by now? Has he suddenly become evil now that it suits the far right to denigrate him? In what way is he a force for evil? Giving billions to charity, is that evil or good? The only issue here is that the far right need an antichrist to function.

It's all about the prejudicial research. 

Hidden codes for what might be passed off as critical thought. 

Easily induced sleight-of-hand.

It ain't rebellin' if you're buying what they're sellin'. 

1 minute ago, zzaa09 said:

It's all about the prejudicial research. 

Hidden codes for what might be passed off as critical thought. 

Easily induced sleight-of-hand.

It ain't rebellin' if you're buying what they're sellin'. 

If you have a point to make then make it without the meaningless innuendo.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

"Do your own research!"

Frankly, I haven't met anyone who has 'done their own research.' Not one person. On either side of the fence.

All we do is look for things on the Internet or in Big Media that support our personal predisposed ideas. That's not research. That's just parroting other people's work to make us feel better about our own decisions.

There are, however, quite a lot of absolutely irrational ideas being presented, reminding us that not everyone is capable of thinking for themselves, and are quite willing to accept someone else's idiocy as fact.

The ability of humans to learn from other peoples discovery and research is the fundamental reason why we have survived and progressed as a species. All you're doing is rationalising rejection of science and learning which doesn't suit your agenda.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I think we all know this thread is really about covid which I believe is an issue which we can't afford the luxury to not care about. Certainly, when we have done everything we can to fulfill our public obligations we can switch off. However, those who choose to advocate a position one way or another with a goal to influence other people's actions and even their very survival should be forced to adhere to some principles.

That's a good point.  I have found that I don't have to have a position on a whole lot of things. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

The ability of humans to learn from other peoples discovery and research is the fundamental reason why we have survived and progressed as a species. All you're doing is rationalising rejection of science and learning which doesn't suit your agenda.

I made no reference to any particular stance on the issues. No agenda alluded to. Certainly not rejecting science.  I'm a firm believer in systematic scientific method. That is 'research.' All I said was that most are doing is not  'research' though they claim to be doing it.  They are just reading and parroting other people's research that agrees with their point of view and calling it 'research.'

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1