Myanmar security forces crash a car into a protest in Yangon, killing five people

1748773659_deadmain.jpg.86623d0d962c598bb9ddf57e7cbec937.jpg

Myanmar security officers in a car crashed into an anti-coup protest in Yangon on Sunday morning (Dec 5) killing five people and arresting at least 15, according to local news source Myanmar Now.

Reuters reported that dozens of people were hurt on the spot.
On social media, photos and videos show a vehicle crashing into demonstrators and victims laying on the road.

Despite the morning violence, another demonstration was held in Yangon in the afternoon.

Despite the deaths of over 1,300 people since the February 1 coup, anti-military rallies have continued.
Small groups protesting against the toppling of an elected government led by Nobel Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi and the return of military rule are common.

The shadow government of the opposition said it was heartbroken to see nonviolent protestors attacked and killed.

"We will retaliate vehemently against the terrorist military that ruthlessly and inhumanely massacred unarmed innocent demonstrators," the National Unity Government's defence ministry stated on social media after the attack on Sunday.

A "flash mob" protest in Yangon, Myanmar's largest city, was slammed minutes after it began in the incident.

"I was struck and fell in front of a truck.
I was beaten with a gun by a soldier, but I defended myself and pushed him back.
Then he opened fire on me as I dashed away in a zig-zag style.
Fortunately, I was able to flee "Reuters spoke with a demonstrator who wanted not to be recognised for security concerns.

According to two witnesses, a car staffed by troops slammed into the gathering from behind, then chased the scattering demonstrators, arresting and beating them.
According to witnesses, some were critically injured with head wounds and were unconscious.

On Sunday, a spokesman for the ruling junta did not return calls requesting comment.

The military claims that the violence was started by demonstrators who were murdered.
It claims the coup was organised because the election won by Aung San Suu Kyi's party in November was rigged.
The claim was refuted by the election commission.

According to UN estimates, wars with ethnic minority insurgents in isolated frontier regions in the north and east have intensified dramatically since the coup, displacing tens of thousands of residents.