Crash of Thai Air Force’s F-5 fighter jet may have been caused by bird strike

webfact

2 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

You are missing the point.  The foam punched a hole in the wing leading edge , which eventually brought the shuttle down on re entry. 

Are ok, yes I get I get the point now.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Thai Airways jumbo had to divert to India after hitting a large bird at above 35k feet over Himalayas. Honestly I didn't know before then that birds can fly that high.

Griffon Vulture

1. Rüppell's Griffon Vulture - 37,000 feet. The Ruppell's griffon vulture (Gyps rueppellii) is the highest flying bird in the world. This vulture species is found in the Sahel region of central Africa.

Thailand does have Mallards & Storks here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_birds_by_flight_heights

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, webfact said:

splashing blood all over the cockpit

I reckon it's a case of pilot incompetence, poor training, lacking required skill set. 
I read he broke both legs, do these guy's get training in safe ejection? 
Get him a desk job. 

Wearing the correct PPE, I'm sure these jets are designed and pilots trained to keep flying without windscreen and some blood splatter.  

So many times we read about the pilots of commercial aircraft being hit by birds breaking windscreens, these heroes, safety landing the aircraft. 

The jet is the size of a bus, it's difficult to understand how a bird can bring it down. 

What a shame, such a beautiful aircraft destroyed.     

36 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I reckon it's a case of pilot incompetence, poor training, lacking required skill set. 
I read he broke both legs, do these guy's get training in safe ejection? 
Get him a desk job. 

Wearing the correct PPE, I'm sure these jets are designed and pilots trained to keep flying without windscreen and some blood splatter.  

So many times we read about the pilots of commercial aircraft being hit by birds breaking windscreens, these heroes, safety landing the aircraft. 

The jet is the size of a bus, it's difficult to understand how a bird can bring it down. 

hat a shame, such a beautiful aircraft destroyed.     

250 meters per second meet 1kg bird is lots of force.

Here is some infos about the ejector seat dangers.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a26193/how-pilots-eject-from-fighter-jet/

I am a very amateur pilot but have much interest in reading about military aircraft and the tech ability