Shingrix vaccine - where to get?

Hamus Yaigh

Everyone in the US over 50 is recommended to get this but AFAIK it's not available in Thailand and not sure it ever will be? So where do Thailand based people go? Singapore? Anyone with experience recommendations, hospital names, for cheapest options? I understand its two jabs so would mean two return international flights. Tried the local based Zostavax alternative (now stopped in US) and not impressed.

According to Google:

Shingrix is a non-live, recombinant subunit vaccine approved in the United States, Canada, EU, UK, China, Japan, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore to help prevent shingles (herpes zoster) in people aged 50 years or older.

You have already answered your own question, would have to go to one of the listed countries and either remain there 2 months or make 2 trips.

Given all the COVIS travel restrictions I have not heard of any Thailand expats doing this.

Note as well that it is quite expensive. I was quoted over 400 USD in the US for the 2 injections combined. (Medicare does nto cover it unless you have Part D). Seems to be as much in Singapore too https://cityhealth.com.sg/vaccination/ and that's without adding in all the travel costs (airfare, COVID tests etc ).

The manufacturer is having trouble keeping up with demand in some of the countries where it is already in use so likely to be some time before it is registered in Thailand.

• Like 1

Yes, I will go when all the COVID restrictions are gone, maybe in years to come. My Thai hospital said it could take 10 years for Shingrix to come to Thailand, they had no idea. I wonder how global authorities can allow GSK sole monopoly over this vaccine if they cannot keep up with demand?

Maybe in time to come someone will post experience of where they got this jab from their Thailand base cost effectively.

12 hours ago, internationalism said:

If you already had zostavax, there is no rush to get shingrix. 
also they are recommended over 60, not 50. 
possibly in the EU and UK they are free or discounted. In your case one jab might do. 

It is recommended for anyone over age 50. However some National Health Programs will pay for it only at later ages. Some National Health programs also reserve Shingrix for people unable to take Zostavax.

These decisions are in the interest of maximizing cost benefit/ making best use of limited financial resources  and are not indicative of what is optimal for individuals.

People who have had ZOstavax are still recommended to get 2 Shingrix. Shingrix is never given as a single injection.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, internationalism said:

If you already had zostavax, there is no rush to get shingrix. 
also they are recommended over 60, not 50. 

Thanks. I'm over 60, had Zostavax and would get Shingrix in a heartbeat once travel eases. Zostavax seems pretty useless in my case.