Thai driver calls for justice after crashing his Ferrari on the motorway - says insurance won't pay

webfact

24 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Chonburi and highway to 7 to BKK. 

Like I said I have few issues with the Benz but cannot take the Porsche out unless I know the roads. Even near my house there are a couple of roads it simply cannot go down without getting damaged, one has numerous potholes and a sharp on-ramp and the other has a number of poorly fitted drain covers that if hit cause the chassis to bottom out and scrape the road. 

Things are improving and roads are getting better but there's still too many shortcuts being taken with construction and too many heavy lorries and goods vehicles using roads that can't handle their weight. 

amen to that, I had the same problem with my Maserati in Bangkok and to the road to Pattaya, a PITA

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If the motorr

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Chonburi and highway to 7 to BKK. 

Like I said I have few issues with the Benz but cannot take the Porsche out unless I know the roads. Even near my house there are a couple of roads it simply cannot go down without getting damaged, one has numerous potholes and a sharp on-ramp and the other has a number of poorly fitted drain covers that if hit cause the chassis to bottom out and scrape the road. 

Things are improving and roads are getting better but there's still too many shortcuts being taken with construction and too many heavy lorries and goods vehicles using roads that can't handle their weight. 

You commented with your  "absolute and utter nonsense" on "The vast majority of Thailand's roads are fine and are probably better, in general, than US or UK roads". It's about "vast majority", not including what is near your house.  

Name another country - not only a 3rd world country - with such a vast majority of roads so fine up to the last village.   

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Quite a lot of expensive cars in Thailand are 'doctored' to get them registered usually illegally, and minimise the huge import taxes. I wouldn't be surprised if this car was registered differently from what it actually is. May or may not be Jock's fault, but unless he was buying the car from the official dealer, he probably had some kind of idea why the price was what it was.

It seems logical that to have a car of this speed and try to 'enjoy its performance'. Anyone reading this thread would probably want to do the same.

I can pretty much guarantee that every member of this forum was not on that road at that time of that day (Aug 28th) so it's his word against the world's, and not our place to assume.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

". . . the name of Jock Pattarapitthayangurn . . ."

A Jock with a Ferrari! Well done that man. I'm proud of you . . . ????

Surely they have got his name wrong it should be 

Jock  MacPattarapitthayangurn . . .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blackcab said:

If the engine number was wrong he hasn't got a chance. The change of engine is a modification that he didn't declare to the insurers, even if it was the same type of engine.

The insurance company's position will be that the car they insured is not the car that was crashed.

To be fair to the owner, he more than likely purchased the car that way and didn't check himself or have the vehicle examined when he purchased it.

He should have asked Joe Ferrari before he bought it!!!!5555????????????????????????????????

Edited by DPKANKAN
Spelling
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, blackcab said:

If the engine number was wrong he hasn't got a chance. The change of engine is a modification that he didn't declare to the insurers, even if it was the same type of engine.

The insurance company's position will be that the car they insured is not the car that was crashed.

To be fair to the owner, he more than likely purchased the car that way and didn't check himself or have the vehicle examined when he purchased it.

But the insurance company rep usually checks out the engine number as part of the pre insurance. Put paper over the engine number and rub a pencil over the raised numbers. Then attach that to the application.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The vast majority of Thailand's roads are fine and are probably better, in general, than US or UK roads and ....SNIP.....

Thailand has very little excuse for the poor condition of many roads.   In the majority of the West, the roads are subjected to frequent freeze/thaw cycles unlike here in Thailand.

The roads in the areas of the US where I lived also never experienced freezing and the average condition was far better than in Thailand.  Not even close!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The vast majority of Thailand's roads are fine and are probably better, in general, than US or UK roads and make driving a Ferrari no more risky than driving any other make on them.

The roads may be fine, but the driving conditions and especially the large number of absolutely crazy fellow road users make it a different kettle of fish altogether.

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The vast majority of Thailand's roads are fine and are probably better, in general, than US or UK roads and make driving a Ferrari no more risky than driving any other make on them.

It's not the roads that worries me, rather the individuals using them. ????

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Thailand has very little excuse for the poor condition of many roads.   In the majority of the West, the roads are subjected to frequent freeze/thaw cycles unlike here in Thailand.

The roads in the areas of the US where I lived also never experienced freezing and the average condition was far better than in Thailand.  Not even close!

Are you comparing one of the 3rd world country (where some 60 - 70 years ago had had just very few paved roads)  with the most developed country in the world?

BTW, one of my first drives in USA was some 35 years ago from Toronto to NYC  (via Buffalo) on Fri night and Sun night back again. And I was quite surprised that the car (a big Oldsmobile) has to suffer by occasional holes that I had not been able to dodge.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, digbeth said:

News from other source indicate that the wrong engine/chassis number is mistyped from H to I,

how many of you actually check if the VIN on your insurance policy matches your car, whose fault is it? the company can claim that they gave a grace period to check everything was in order when you first purchase the insurance and had the paper delivered

to be fair, if you are driving a Ferrari you can probably afford to not cheap out on insurance, but to be fair, when the annual premiums are 300,000 baht, the savings could be 10-20,000 to go with third rate company like this instead of the big name ones.

looks like the insurance company look over to find any reason not to pay out and they found just what they need

Situation normal then for Insurance Companies !

• Thanks 1