Thai driver calls for justice after crashing his Ferrari on the motorway - says insurance won't pay

webfact

7 hours ago, digbeth said:

News from other source indicate that the wrong engine/chassis number is mistyped from H to I,

how many of you actually check if the VIN on your insurance policy matches your car, whose fault is it? the company can claim that they gave a grace period to check everything was in order when you first purchase the insurance and had the paper delivered

to be fair, if you are driving a Ferrari you can probably afford to not cheap out on insurance, but to be fair, when the annual premiums are 300,000 baht, the savings could be 10-20,000 to go with third rate company like this instead of the big name ones.

looks like the insurance company look over to find any reason not to pay out and they found just what they need

Did the insurance company check the engine number before issuing the policy, the company I insure with check it each year. 

What number does the road tax book show, any diference than the actual number? 

4 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

He should have asked Joe Ferrari before he bought it!!!!5555????????????????????????????????

Jock probably bought the car from him (Joe)?

Anyway, som nam na...????

EDIT: too late.

Edited by Turkleton
  • Haha 1

More defamatory posts have been removed, and more members have had their ability to post removed.

As people are clearly not paying attention I will say this once again: Please do not post negative comments or speculate about the driver of the car or the manner of their driving. Do not make comments that the driver of the car is not qualified to drive or that their behaviour was reckless.

Anyone posting defamatory comments of this nature will receive a substantial posting suspension.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:
9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The vast majority of Thailand's roads are fine and are probably better, in general, than US or UK roads and make driving a Ferrari no more risky than driving any other make on them.

Complete drivel. I am in the US right now. The vast majority of the highways are superb. And they continue to improve.

Complete drivel. I am in Thailand right now. The vast majority of the highways are superb. And they continue to improve.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, rudi49jr said:
9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The vast majority of Thailand's roads are fine and are probably better, in general, than US or UK roads and make driving a Ferrari no more risky than driving any other make on them.

The roads may be fine,

That's what I was talking about, the roads, as was the poster to whom I responded originally.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

9 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

". . . the name of Jock Pattarapitthayangurn . . ."

A Jock with a Ferrari! Well done that man. I'm proud of you . . . ????

Probably couldn't fit his surname on the insurance certificate.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 2long said:

unless he was buying the car from the official dealer, he probably had some kind of idea why the price was what it was.

"..he probably had some kind of idea why the price was what it was".

What does that mean?  As you're suggesting that the price may not have been normal retail, what was the price he paid for it, did he buy it new or used, what was the condition and the mileage?  Please share that information that you have with the rest of us.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Insurance companies, well what can we say.

How do we describe them.

If i said Traffic wardens, what's the first word that pops into your head, that's what insurance companies are.

worldwide.  LOL.

The first words that pop into my head would be . What the heck are "Traffic Wardens" LOL 

I am assuming "  Traffic Wardens" are not highly respected back home ????

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

The first words that pop into my head would be . What the heck are "Traffic Wardens" LOL 

Sorry, it's a uk joke. i should have said that.

I am assuming "  Traffic Wardens" are not highly respected back home ????

your correct there.,LOL.

• Like 1

Am i mistaken, when you insure a car Don't they take an impression of the number on to some tape and attach it to their documents plus photographs etc.? I don't think their refusal would stand up in civil court if proven they took out the policy and accepted the agreement. A typing error of one letter would not give reason to refuse, plus they would have to prove without doubt that the driver was speed racing and to do that they need spectator account or video proof, or previous claim proof or conviction for speed , reckless driving. 

Strange my MG manages to stay on the road in the rain and fog while driving through Nam Nao national park at speed, let alone a simple express way! Am i mistaken, when you insure a car Don't they take an impression of the number on to some tape and attach it to their documents plus photographs etc.? I don't think their refusal would stand up in civil court if proven they took out the policy and accepted the agreement. A typing error of one letter would not give reason to refuse, plus they would have to prove without doubt that the driver was speed racing and to do that they need spectator account or video proof, or previous claim proof or conviction for speed , reckless driving. 

8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"..he probably had some kind of idea why the price was what it was".

What does that mean?  As you're suggesting that the price may not have been normal retail, what was the price he paid for it, did he buy it new or used, what was the condition and the mileage?  Please share that information that you have with the rest of us.

What I'm suggesting and what other members would read into my posts is usually written in clear English. I'm no expert and I didn't sell him the car. I had never even heard of or met the guy. Has anyone on here met him or the car? I would doubt it.

Some people in Thailand and on this forum have 

- many years experience living here

- knowledge and/or connections to how things work

- a huge chip on their shoulder

- a degree of common sense

- a grasp of English language (including irony and sarcasm when it's meant)

- a sense of humour

- a mission to comment in an argumentative way on multiple posts/threads, out of spite or boredom

- nothing better to do

- the ability/inability to let someone else have the last word

Have a great weekend! ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They ain't better than the vast majority of Aussie roads thats for dang sure! lol lol ????????????????????

17 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

The beneficiary of the insurance policy is a leasing company, so I'm sure one of the reasons he's in a flap is because he's still on the hook for the car payments.

The insurance company citing the numbers is a bit rich: the full number is ZEF67NHC000182063 with that middle 'H' incorrectly recorded as 'I I'. It's clear it's a simple error. 

His next port of call should be the Office of the Insurance Commissioner. 

I tried to decode that vin, there is more issues than just the H being recorded incorrectly.

http://www.red-headed.com/vin.html

12 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Complete drivel. I am in the US right now. The vast majority of the highways are superb. And they continue to improve. Thailand can only dream about roads like these. Also, drivers here are infinitely more skilled than most Thai drivers, and far more conscious and respectful of other drivers. Not to mention the deterrent created by real police officers, instead of toothless local franchisees.

What a surprise...

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Absolute and utter nonsense. 

Have to agree with this post.

My experience of Thai roads is that they are poorly made/constructed in general and I remember a while back driving from Phitsanulok to Chiang Mai and was shocked to find the state of the road/s, because the large trucks which traversed that section had basically laid their own "tramlines" in the road making driving extremely difficult for ordinary cars.

Go to the other end of the country, and where I live on Phuket, there are a couple of motorways, or should I say dual carriageways plus, where the drains which have been installed on them have dropped a few inches and although I know where they are now and try and steer around them, it would be very easy for a small car to suffer with a broken stub axle because of these, and motorcycles beware!!

I could fill this whole thread with state of the roads here, with potholes, underground drainage systems which have collapsed, causing depressions in the road, huge, and I mean huge metal grilles placed in the road to try and alleviate flooding, which make it extremely dangerous for motorbikes in particular, but also cars, because they can't get a grip on the surface where these metal grilles cover one half of the road, and extend for 30 m or thereabouts.

There are several depressions in a road I frequently travel, where it is quite obvious that the drainage system underneath it has collapsed or is leaking and has eroded the soil/base, but instead of real maintenance work being done on them, the large depressions in the road have been filled with tarmac, which itself has suffered the same fate, and there appears to be no plan, absolutely no plan, whereby preventative maintenance or even planned maintenance is carried out on the roads here, and this is an island which is supposedly a showpiece for Thailand – – yeah right.

Shocking roads, poor drivers, and no policing, just about sums the situation up for me.

• Like 2

I was yesterday a Tesla in Khon kaen, I though could it drive to Bangkok and Back, or would he have to stop at a mom and pop shop and ask for a plug in. Some people have no idea, and just wish to prove they can spend money, they don't understand most people are not that impressed on lowered suspension, and sports cars or oversized tires that slow everybody 'cause they can't even ride over the slightest lip in the road surface.or turn a corner without needing both sides of the road to turn.

Edited by phetpeter