Thai driver calls for justice after crashing his Ferrari on the motorway - says insurance won't pay

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The reasons given were twofold.

Firstly that the engine number was wrong and secondly that he had taken the car out for the purposes of doing a speed test.

Based on that, the insurer is justified.  Engine changes have to be notified to the insurer, if they're not, claims may be denied as their risk may have changed.

If the insurer knows/has evidence that he was on that road for the purpose of speed testing, that would invalidate his policy, the police not charging him with speeding is irrelevant to what he may have been doing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:
27 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The vast majority of Thailand's roads are fine and are probably better, in general, than US or UK roads and make driving a Ferrari no more risky than driving any other make on them.

It's not so much the roads , but other drivers ,can be a problem here.

The problem then would also be the same whether it's a Ferrari 458 being driven or a Fiat 500, but the poster I responded to was referring to Thailand's roads.

• Sad 5

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

There must have had a party at the insurance offices

when they found out it had wrong engine number......

I knew we would find something....???? not paying

regards worgeordie

There's something wrong with an insurer denying a claim because of multiple breaches of the policy conditions by the policy holder?   

Would it be ok for the policy holder to breach his policy's conditions, make an invalid claim and then demand payment when he's found out, if that is the case here?

Insurance companies use reinsurance to reduce their exposure in the event of large claims so this drivers claim would not be a big deal to his insurer, they'd be covered by their own reinsurance policies.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

28 minutes ago, digbeth said:

News from other source indicate that the wrong engine/chassis number is mistyped from H to I,

how many of you actually check if the VIN on your insurance policy matches your car, whose fault is it? the company can claim that they gave a grace period to check everything was in order when you first purchase the insurance and had the paper delivered

to be fair, if you are driving a Ferrari you can probably afford to not cheap out on insurance, but to be fair, when the annual premiums are 300,000 baht, the savings could be 10-20,000 to go with third rate company like this instead of the big name ones.

looks like the insurance company look over to find any reason not to pay out and they found just what they need

You seem to be, very conveniently, overlooking the alleged speed testing which invalidates the policy anyway!

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, Mr Meeseeks said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The vast majority of Thailand's roads are fine and are probably better, in general, than US or UK roads and make driving a Ferrari no more risky than driving any other make on them.

Absolute and utter nonsense. 

You're right, it sure is absolute and utter nonsense to say that my comment was "absolute and utter nonsense".    

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6

31 minutes ago, wombat said:
1 hour ago, digbeth said:

the insurance company look over to find any reason not to pay out 

that has been my experience with insurance companies.

"...my experience with insurance companies".

You've, personally, had more than one experience of having legitimate claims denied or are you referring to urban myth?    Insurance companies are so profitable (and insured!) they have no need to reject valid claims.  

• Sad 1

Another defamatory post has been removed. Please do not post negative comments about the owner of the car or the manner of their driving.

This is the last time I will publicly warn members. Anyone posting defamatory comments in this topic from this point on will receive a substantial posting holiday.

When I got my insurance first time around they sent someone out to get a rubbing of the frame and engine number..if the insurance put in the wrong number then it's their fault. But if on later investigation the insurance company find that the engine and frame don't match from manufacturer details they certainly have a case.. on a different note.. how many of us see accidents on a straight road here!!!!

• Like 1