Red Bull Boss: Case against those accused in cover up to take 14 months - will conclude end of next year

webfact

3 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

What about seeking an extradition order?, most police forces can seek that from other countries, although many are exempt, I think if your Irish and wanted for a NZ crime you can flee back to Ireland and not be extradited.

There is no such thing as an "extradition order", extraditions applications are requests and they are usually only entertained by countries that have extradition treaties with, in this case, Thailand.

11 hours ago, Nsp64 said:
19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How do you know that "they are not interested in where he is"?

I think they have made that abundantly clear.

Can you make it abundantly clear what you mean by that?   He is not in Thailand and he is not wanted by any other country so what exactly can the RTP do to demonstrate their interest in getting him back?  They requested Interpol to issue a Red Notice for him, what else can they do when  they have no jurisdiction anywhere except Thailand?

12 hours ago, sambum said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How would that help the RTP?

Because then they could say "We have investigated unconfirmed reports  that he has been spotted in Dubai, but after intensive investigations, we have not been able to confirm that he was in Dubai at the stated time"

Or something similar!

And how would that help the RTP to get him back to Thailand?  What if it is confirmed that he is in Dubai, do you think the Thai police have any jurisdiction in Dubai?  

15 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:
20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How do you know that "they are not interested in where he is"?

I didn't say that I "knew that" - I said that they "appeared not to be interested".

It is an impression, widely held on this forum, largely created by their constant obfuscation and unwillingness to actually do something about the case. 

A case which would have been dealt with and closed within months were it not for the extreme wealth of the - let us be charitable - prime suspect!

Of course, if you know otherwise fine, share that with us, if not I suppose that yet again, you are using these discussions in an attempt to pick a fight over semantics.

"Of course, if you know otherwise fine, share that with us"

Why don't you share with us what the RTP could do if they did know where, outside Thailand, he is at any given time?   

You seem to be under the impression that his family's wealth is what prevents the RTP from storming into whatever country he is in and arresting him when it is actually the limits of their jurisdiction that does that!  If he was a peasant without a penny to his name the RTP still could not arrest him anywhere except Thailand.

"you are using these discussions in an attempt to pick a fight over semantics".

Making reasoned, accurate points about his whereabouts and the RTP's ability to do anything about it is not "picking a fight over semantics" .   If you think my comments are semanticism perhaps you could give an example of a such a comment of mine in the context of this thread?

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

And how would that help the RTP to get him back to Thailand?  What if it is confirmed that he is in Dubai, do you think the Thai police have any jurisdiction in Dubai?  

No jurisdiction, but Dubai hosts a branch of Interpol, and we have been told that "Boss" is on their most wanted list. Surely it would be a simple task for the RTP to contact Interpol to inform them that "Boss" had been spotted in Dubai (possibly provide photographic evidence?) and Interpol SHOULD advise the Dubai authorities to arrest him and hand him over to the Thai police/extradite him back to Thailand. Is that not the way that it SHOULD work?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sambum said:
3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No jurisdiction, but Dubai hosts a branch of Interpol, and we have been told that "Boss" is on their most wanted list. Surely it would be a simple task for the RTP to contact Interpol to inform them that "Boss" had been spotted in Dubai (possibly provide photographic evidence?) and Interpol SHOULD advise the Dubai authorities to arrest him and hand him over to the Thai police/extradite him back to Thailand. Is that not the way that it SHOULD work?

Unfortunately, that's not the way that it does work.  Interpol's Notices are advisories, not instructions and certainly not warrants.  Interpol member police forces can choose to act on them or ignore them.

The next problem would be that Thailand and Dubai do not have an extradition treaty.

A  "Red Notice"  issued by Interpol, does not necessarily  relate  to  a wanted fugitive.  It may be for instance, an alert, or advise  of a serious   crime committed or suspected,  a   scam, or a "ponzi"   type fraud  that is  current in some country, with the  prospect of spreading  world wide.  It is merely  a system to alert participating police forces of  current matters, of International  concern.  As  the  title  RED NOTICE  suggests, it is an alert notification., which is the reason a majority of such notices are not for public viewing.

As for  those countries that may not have an extradition   treaty in formal effect with  some other country, that does not  negate the  country seeking a fugitive, requesting   the country where such fugitive is located,  for the courts there  granting the fugitives release to   officials of the first country.  Such  legal  actions  have been  granted on several occasions .

Some countries, Russia, China for instance,  simply refuse to release  citizens of their own country  to  courts in another  country, no matter what crime they are alleged to  have committed.

22 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Unfortunately, that's not the way that it does work.  Interpol's Notices are advisories, not instructions and certainly not warrants.  Interpol member police forces can choose to act on them or ignore them.

The next problem would be that Thailand and Dubai do not have an extradition treaty.

I agree with what you say which is why I emphasised  "SHOULD", but what justification could Dubai have for not handing over a wanted criminal? Oh, silly me - I forgot, ex PM Thaksin is also a wanted man, and was/is also known to be in Dubai. Wouldn't have anything to do with money and power, would it?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sambum said:

I agree with what you say which is why I emphasised  "SHOULD", but what justification could Dubai have for not handing over a wanted criminal? Oh, silly me - I forgot, ex PM Thaksin is also a wanted man, and was/is also known to be in Dubai. Wouldn't have anything to do with money and power, would it?

He's not wanted in Dubai is one justification plus the fact that Interpol issues advices to member forces, not mandatory instructions and that's in addition to there not being an extradition treaty between Dubai and Thailand so it would be a waste of time.  Vorayuth has no power and money is not needed to stay in a country in which you've committed no crimes.

18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He's not wanted in Dubai is one justification plus the fact that Interpol issues advices to member forces, not mandatory instructions and that's in addition to there not being an extradition treaty between Dubai and Thailand so it would be a waste of time.  Vorayuth has no power and money is not needed to stay in a country in which you've committed no crimes.

I've already agreed with what you said earlier - there's no need to repeat yourself.

All I am saying is that if Dubai wanted to hand him (or Thaksin) over to the RTP, they could. Obviously, they don't want to, for whatever reason - money - power (by that I mean the power that comes with having lots of money e.g. the Red Bull empire) And assuming that he is in Dubai, he will need money to stay there, because he needs to support himself (and no doubt quite an extensive entourage of bodyguards etc)

Its a very sad scenario when the wealthy are able to evade prossicution like with this Red Bull case while the poor just get caught and sentenced in a short time frame because they cannot buy their way to freedom. With endemic corruption in any country means that country will always have a struggling society & never advance on the world stage. Imagine what a paradise this place would be if they can ever put these foul practices and behind them and make it 1 law for all.