Samsung Galaxy watch - region restricted in Thailand???

Batty

I wanted to buy the new Galaxy 4 which has an ECG heart tracker.  On the Samsung website, they clearly state this feature is on the watch.  But I asked at two different Samsung stores and they all say none of the Galaxy watches have this feature.  I tried to tell them that they do indeed have this feature, but I just got 'mai mee' as an answer without further detail.  I just read something online about some features being regionally restricted however, and I wonder if that is why they are stating this in the shop?

Does anyone know if the Galaxy 4 in Thailand does actually have ECG/HRM or is it restricted here?  I cant find anything online about it.

And if it is restricted, is it possible do you think to jail break in some way?

1 minute ago, fangless said:

Thanks Fangless.  So that link confirms heart rate monitor (same as a standard Fitbit watch for example, just beats per minute) but doesn't mention ECG/EKG, so I am not sure, hard to know.  I wonder why in the Samsung shop they insist the G4 does not have ECG/EKG when that is a fairly big feature of the watch?  It must be a restriction thing you would have thought?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbko said:

If I'm understanding this webpage, you must download the app called Samsung Health Monitor on your Samsung PHONE first and then is can pair up with the watch.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00087703/

Yes, thanks bbko.  The app isnt the problem its showing up on app store, I am more bothered about the ECG and if it is restricted in Thailand or not

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I'm a real fan of the Galaxy series watches. Be aware if you import one from another country and it goes wonky, Thailand Samsung won't touch them.

Thanks.  I live in Thailand and want to buy one here.  I just need to know if certain features - crucially the ECG and blood pressure features - are restricted in Thailand or not.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Batty said:

Thanks.  I live in Thailand and want to buy one here.  I just need to know if certain features - crucially the ECG and blood pressure features - are restricted in Thailand or not.

A look at the Samsung Thai website, and this particular model includes both blood pressure and ECG.

https://www.samsung.com/th/watches/galaxy-watch/galaxy-watch4-classic-black-lte-sm-r895fzkathl/

• Like 1

Further to this, I usually buy their products from their online shop, rather than actual local stores.   Often there are further discounts for online purchases.   They are also customer focused and will answer any quieries.

• Like 1

I bought the Samsung Galaxy Watch3 in the US last Nov.  While in the US for a few months, I was able to use the ECG app without a hitch.  The day I returned to Thailand, I was unable to use it.....feature not available in Thailand.  When you try to download the app while in Thailand, you'll get a message saying 'this feature not available in Thailand'

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

There are a number of different models, some having ECG and some without.  You need to get a "Classic" one for the ECG function, however there are no prices given for these models on their Thailand website, suggesting they may not be officially available here, so far at least.

image.png.f48611c2290b8417d7079845869b2388.png

image.png.b502ce24c18277e9649fe6b173744eb8.png

• Thanks 1

I'd be interested in getting one of these, if the ECG functionality worked, but looking into it further, it can only be used in countries that have approved that "the software meets the health and safety standards required for distribution in the country.":

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Chile, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the UAE, UK and USA.

Whether Thailand ever does remains to be seen.

On 12/12/2021 at 10:47 AM, Batty said:

please let us know when you find out.

silly question that may sound stupid but not familiar with the process, does the watch works by itself or only works if there is a phone, the reason for my confusion is that it indicates 4G connections

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

please let us know when you find out.

silly question that may sound stupid but not familiar with the process, does the watch works by itself or only works if there is a phone, the reason for my confusion is that it indicates 4G connections

The ECG and BP applications are not available on the watches for the Thai market.

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

where, which store please

The Samsung shop at Robinsons in Phetchaburi. You can contact any of the Samsung shops in your area to ask whether they have stock.

After I bought my watch, I installed the ECG and BP application (Samsung Health Monitor) using the PC method. ECG works fine as you have to press the watch's home button. BP doesn't work always directly as the watch has to sit snugly around your wrist. Just move your watch around your wrist and it works. Samsung advises that you calibrate the watch from time to time using another type of blood presure measurement device.

• Thanks 2

On 12/12/2021 at 9:17 AM, HappyExpat57 said:

I'm a real fan of the Galaxy series watches. Be aware if you import one from another country and it goes wonky, Thailand Samsung won't touch them.

That's not entirely true. My Gear S3 had an issue and the Samsung repair shop here in Sathorn took care of it with no issues.  Had the paperwork from the US with me.  My S10+ also had an issue and it was from the US as well and they repaired it with only a minimum charge.

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

That's not entirely true. My Gear S3 had an issue and the Samsung repair shop here in Sathorn took care of it with no issues.  Had the paperwork from the US with me.  My S10+ also had an issue and it was from the US as well and they repaired it with only a minimum charge.

Maybe they liked you better cuz you hansum man.

• Haha 1

On 12/12/2021 at 4:35 PM, pagallim said:

Further to this, I usually buy their products from their online shop, rather than actual local stores.   Often there are further discounts for online purchases.   They are also customer focused and will answer any quieries.

Yes the galaxy 4 is 500 baht cheaper than the store.  Im still baffled though - the Samsung Thailand website clearly states, in both Thai and English, that the watch has an ECG.  The staff at the store are adamant, and I mean 100% adamant, that ECG and BP features are restricted in Thailand.

Just a quick rant - I have heart disease, and it took 5 cardiologists to reach the conclusion that I have it.  Each time I visited a doc I would tell them 'im certain I have heart disease'.  Each time they would run basic tests and tell me I dont.  They would blame my symptoms on coffee, or stress.  On the advice of a UK doctor, I asked for a CT scan and Echo which showed I have coronary artery disease.  In short, the doctors are bloody useless and it was super hard work, expensive and frustrating getting the correct diagnosis.  Now, I want a watch that is proven to be accurate in showing BP and ECG results, but the government, presumably on the advice of more useless Thai doctors, have seemingly restricted those features, denying me and hindering me yet again.

It does my head right in sometimes, this country. 

• Like 2

On 12/13/2021 at 11:47 AM, ballpoint said:

I'd be interested in getting one of these, if the ECG functionality worked, but looking into it further, it can only be used in countries that have approved that "the software meets the health and safety standards required for distribution in the country.":

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Chile, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the UAE, UK and USA.

Whether Thailand ever does remains to be seen.

So annoying.  Its a useless ranty thing to say I know - but all those countries with the best medical doctors in the world (probably) and amazing health systems have it.  Yet a country with utterly useless doctors and a poor health system (in my opinion) have blocked it.  Its another one of those silly laws and its so frustrating.

On 12/13/2021 at 4:18 PM, aidenai said:

The Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 for Thailand doesn't have the ECG/ BP monitor.

However, you can install modded versions of both the watch and the phone applications. Works perfectly.

Please follow the following link: https://smartwatchchart.com/how-to-enable-ecg-and-blood-pressure-on-galaxy-watch-4-easy-method-no-pc/

Wow.  That's super useful to know, thanks so much mate.  Can I ask though, what about the health app?  Another commenter on this thread mentioned the health app also blocked ECG features?

On 12/13/2021 at 7:14 PM, aidenai said:

385905161_Screenshot_20211213-182542_SamsungHealthMonitor.thumb.jpg.ef259b6197dbd7f3b8145c7f35b98c5f.jpg

Screenshot_20211213-182558_Samsung Health Monitor.jpg

Screenshot_20211213-191155_Samsung Health Monitor.jpg

Appreciate that feedback thanks so much.  Did you set this up yourself by following the instructions on that link? (again, thanks for that).  How did you manage to get the health app to show the ECG/BP stats when apparently that also is blocked in Thailand (the app i mean)>  These might be stupid question, I apologise if they are!

Knowing this information I am going to go ahead and buy one I think.  If you wouldnt mind confirming about the health app - thanks!

1 hour ago, Batty said:

Appreciate that feedback thanks so much.  Did you set this up yourself by following the instructions on that link? (again, thanks for that).  How did you manage to get the health app to show the ECG/BP stats when apparently that also is blocked in Thailand (the app i mean)>  These might be stupid question, I apologise if they are!

Knowing this information I am going to go ahead and buy one I think.  If you wouldnt mind confirming about the health app - thanks!

Please follow the link for more information.

https://www.xda-developers.com/enable-ecg-blood-pressure-galaxy-watch-4-with-non-samsung-phones/

2 hours ago, Batty said:

Yes the galaxy 4 is 500 baht cheaper than the store.  Im still baffled though - the Samsung Thailand website clearly states, in both Thai and English, that the watch has an ECG.  The staff at the store are adamant, and I mean 100% adamant, that ECG and BP features are restricted in Thailand.

Just a quick rant - I have heart disease, and it took 5 cardiologists to reach the conclusion that I have it.  Each time I visited a doc I would tell them 'im certain I have heart disease'.  Each time they would run basic tests and tell me I dont.  They would blame my symptoms on coffee, or stress.  On the advice of a UK doctor, I asked for a CT scan and Echo which showed I have coronary artery disease.  In short, the doctors are bloody useless and it was super hard work, expensive and frustrating getting the correct diagnosis.  Now, I want a watch that is proven to be accurate in showing BP and ECG results, but the government, presumably on the advice of more useless Thai doctors, have seemingly restricted those features, denying me and hindering me yet again.

It does my head right in sometimes, this country. 

my comment has nothing to do with heart but just to agree with you on the quality/expertise of  (some)Thai doctors.... had a rash and pain on my back, went to the hospital 3 times and all 3 times was diagnose with muscle strain/stress and they prescribed pain killers/muscle spray... it got worse and went back, (again) show them my back with blisters and 2 of the doctors keep saying the same back muscle stress.... decided to visit the local village doctor and he immeditaly told me I had shingles and the young/inexperienced  doctors at the hospital  made incorrect diagnose

• Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 7:10 PM, aidenai said:

The ECG and BP applications are not available on the watches for the Thai market.

The Samsung shop at Robinsons in Phetchaburi. You can contact any of the Samsung shops in your area to ask whether they have stock.

After I bought my watch, I installed the ECG and BP application (Samsung Health Monitor) using the PC method. ECG works fine as you have to press the watch's home button. BP doesn't work always directly as the watch has to sit snugly around your wrist. Just move your watch around your wrist and it works. Samsung advises that you calibrate the watch from time to time using another type of blood presure measurement device.

are there any other watches, besides the expensive samsung ones, that also do ECG and BP.... if possible on 2-3 K baht range as samsung is quite expensive