Does anyone have a recommendation for a security system to monitor their home?

Live in a village that is not very tightly monitored.  We had a security guard for awhile but despite having them, they really never properly monitored who could enter the village. 

I was wondering if anyone has researched the various security systems and has a recommendation for inside and outside camera's.  I know you can link almost all of them to the internet but do you use a service or have the activity recorded on a hard drive or flash card.  

Live in Pattaya if someone has used a system provided by someone in this area. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are many options for cameras and security, from a cheap single camera you can monitor on your phone, through to multiple cameras, save to a hard drive, monitor and backup to the internet etc. You can even find DIY systems on Lazada, easy setup with wireless technology, and come with internet storage options.

It comes down to how much you want to spend etc.

Any of the shops that specialize in security system would be able to do a system for requirements and budget. 3-4 of them in Tukom

• Thanks 1

I would start by finding out what you can do with a camera system first and what level of protection you want.

There are single cameras that record to the cloud or sd card, there are plenty of local companies that will install a stand alone systems from HikVision or similar Chinese companies that have features like notification to your phone and features to make accessing your NVR (HDD video recorder) easier from a smartphone or with a bit of work and thought you can have a pretty cool custom system to meet your needs, check Blue Iris and Frigate.

• Thanks 1

Two years ago (not in Pattaya) had a 4 camera HikVision with hard disk recorder giving remote live views and previously recorded playback via mobile phone app and Windows program system installed for 12,000 baht. Didn't take long before only one camera worked, and that only intermittently. Rats had chewed through the cables in the loft. A different installer fitted a further 4 cameras this time HiLookVision with sound and lights. He also repaired the existing wiring. Total cost 15,000 baht. Although the cameras are only cheap they do the job and I'm pleased.  

• Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 2:44 PM, Longwood50 said:

I suspect that the "guards" are a great source of information for those who rob the homes as to which homes are vacant and which homes have valuables in them. 

A friend of mine in such a community had his home robbed, where they found the keys to his SUV so they took that too. The 'security guard' vanished the same day alongside his stuff, but the police refused to follow the trail unless they were paid 100,000 baht. My friend decided he had had enough of Thailand and he and his wife moved to his native Australia. Although Thai, she was more than happy to leave with him.

• Like 2

From my little experience I would recommend brand name HKVision with some good Power over ethernet cameras. If no cables are wanted and you want to do it wifi maybe some xiaomi cameras is to prefer. This will keep it in the 10 000 baht region with around 4 cameras, maybe a little more if you demand an SSD drive and how big it needs to be, but normally a rotation old style disk of one terrabyte would suffice.

Check Lazada or shoppee for promotions and buy it separately. Just make sure to not buy an analog camera model if this is not what you want.

There are probably hundreds of video camera systems for home security readily available.

My question is simple :

What good does it do you to have hi res video and audio of the theft and thieves?

Even if you got shots of faces and license plates, what do yo do with it?

Contact the police? Right!

Can anybody offer better advice as I'm pretty cynical about getting help from authorities here.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say a blaring alarm, flashing lights, a good dog, or electrified doors and windows are more effective than fancy electronics.

No?

Am I missing something?

• Confused 1

On 12/12/2021 at 7:44 AM, Longwood50 said:

I was wondering if anyone has researched the various security systems and has a recommendation for inside and outside camera's.  I know you can link almost all of them to the internet but do you use a service or have the activity recorded on a hard drive or flash card.  

Live in Pattaya if someone has used a system provided by someone in this area. 

Don't buy a used system, buy a new, it normally comes with a warranty, and is not that expensive.

A 500 MB 4-camera recorder of good plug & play quality costs around 7,000 baht to 10,000 baht.

Cameras come from about 500 baht and up.

You need an UPS on the recorder and supply-mains to the cameras, which will be another 2,000 baht.

I got a 4 camera system installed in my house with two indoor and two outdoor cameras, all with infrared for night recordings, it was quite cheap.

Get a quote from a professional installer, it might be worth it rather than doing it yourself, a four camera system would be about 20,000 baht or less, depending of cable distance and access to where it's installed; converted to Western money it's in the area of $650...????

• Like 1

I use a UNIDEN system however there are other companies i.e. Swann that make similar.  (check on Ebay)....

Cameras for outdoors come with a long thin cable and small solar panel that keep your battery (in the camera) fully charged all the time. Cameras for indoors you can charge via a USB once every 3 or 4 months..

These cameras have heat/motion detection..  when there's a movement you get an alert (single beep) to your mobile phone. The camera records the following 30 seconds (or whatever time you set)...   the video goes to a mini SD memory card in your camera....   camera linked to your mobile phone using camera companies App via your home modem.

Your home modem has 2 bands...  you should check the band your ISP uses to make sure it's the same as the camera's band (2.4 or 5.0)...   it's simple to change, if you have to.

These cameras have great night vision, they mostly have wide angle lenses, you can swivel them 360 degs via the App and are fairly inexpensive and simple to install.    

9 hours ago, khunPer said:

Don't buy a used system, buy a new, it normally comes with a warranty, and is not that expensive.

A 500 MB 4-camera recorder of good plug & play quality costs around 7,000 baht to 10,000 baht.

Cameras come from about 500 baht and up.

You need an UPS on the recorder and supply-mains to the cameras, which will be another 2,000 baht.

I got a 4 camera system installed in my house with two indoor and two outdoor cameras, all with infrared for night recordings, it was quite cheap.

Get a quote from a professional installer, it might be worth it rather than doing it yourself, a four camera system would be about 20,000 baht or less, depending of cable distance and access to where it's installed; converted to Western money it's in the area of $650...????

That's a good idea UPS, I didn't think about that I am yet to install mine but will incorporate one 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Netease said:

That's a good idea UPS, I didn't think about that I am yet to install mine but will incorporate one 

Take for example a look at this UPS from Lazada, that's the one I use a number of for both security and computers and TV-sets, link HERE.

My Bull Mastiff he is so laid back he almost falls over, but come in unannounced or come  in and get to close to the Mrs you can see his facial expression change, but i am sure you are looking for something that dosnt need feeding.

10 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

I use a UNIDEN system however there are other companies i.e. Swann that make similar.  (check on Ebay)....

Cameras for outdoors come with a long thin cable and small solar panel that keep your battery (in the camera) fully charged all the time. Cameras for indoors you can charge via a USB once every 3 or 4 months..

These cameras have heat/motion detection..  when there's a movement you get an alert (single beep) to your mobile phone. The camera records the following 30 seconds (or whatever time you set)...   the video goes to a mini SD memory card in your camera....   camera linked to your mobile phone using camera companies App via your home modem.

Your home modem has 2 bands...  you should check the band your ISP uses to make sure it's the same as the camera's band (2.4 or 5.0)...   it's simple to change, if you have to.

These cameras have great night vision, they mostly have wide angle lenses, you can swivel them 360 degs via the App and are fairly inexpensive and simple to install.    

In 4 shops and the house I use Yousee, with the app watch from anywhere in the world that has an internet connection, Yousee on Lazada

18 hours ago, RocketDog said:

There are probably hundreds of video camera systems for home security readily available.

My question is simple :

What good does it do you to have hi res video and audio of the theft and thieves?

Even if you got shots of faces and license plates, what do yo do with it?

Contact the police? Right!

Can anybody offer better advice as I'm pretty cynical about getting help from authorities here.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say a blaring alarm, flashing lights, a good dog, or electrified doors and windows are more effective than fancy electronics.

No?

Am I missing something?

A policeman friend once told me there is only 1 thing a burglar dosnt want and that is to draw attention to himself, so yes flashing lights plenty of cabaret and they will be off some other place where it is more peaceful  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/13/2021 at 3:07 PM, misterphil said:

Doberman, electric fence and if that doesn't stop them, I'll set the wife on them. ????

Chihuahuas, we have two. Backed up by geese and guinea fowl they are better than any doberman at raising the alarm.

Oh and we have some cameras by VStarCam which work just fine for monitoring what the dogs are barking at (plastic bag, other dog, occasional snake etc. etc.)

Any camera system can only act as a deterrent, if they want in they will get in and you can watch. I'm not sure what I'd prefer, watch my house being plundered whilst on the other side of the world, or find out when I got home after a relaxing vacation.