Reviving Thailand: Street Food

webfact

On 12/14/2021 at 7:05 PM, Screaming said:

Street food is very unhealthy and unsanitary. There is no reason to support this industry.

Spot on, but it's become very trendy in the past few years with travelers, as if it were something special., bit like visiting prisoners they did not even know. I knew somebody who had a restaurant in Bkk and street sellers would buy his old oil, which should have been dumped, and used it again to cook in. The deep fried stuff is to avoid and most of the food has far too much sugar and salt in it. Add to that the dirty plates left stinking in bowls, the cockroaches, rats and traffic fumes and it's hard to see what the novelty is.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

You can see the logic.....what self-respecting high value, high spending millionaire tourist is going to eat on the street?????

Hands up everybody who thinks high spending millionaires are going to flock to Thailand, what can this country offer them, if you are rich you can buy what you want in countries a lot easier to live in than Thailand.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Will B Good said:

You can see the logic.....what self-respecting high value, high spending millionaire tourist is going to eat on the street?????

OTOH millions of Thais will spend more on street food in a year than all of the "millionaires" will do in the same year.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

There are two types of street food. One is the rough looking chicken hanging out in bare heat. The other where a freshly cooked meal is cooked rite infront of you. 

There was a street food cooker on soi 34 (who was cleared to make way for condos), and i'd go to him 3 times a week. He's make a fresh Padh kaprao Pa, or a vegetable burger for me cooked fresh, on the stove for around 60 Baht. The cost wasn't the issue, the food was unbelievably good. 

Not only does this allow Thai's to earn a living, provide food for locals, add to the colour and exotic look of cities for tourism, but it's a part of Thai culture. To erode this to make way for greedy capatlistic vultures is horiffic. Even India, they do not allow this erosion of culture to occur and protect the livelhoods of these people. 

Go see the countless documentaries on Thai street food, vloggers on youtube and instagram covering Thai street food. It's a unique aspect to Thai life. 

Thailand over the past 5 years has done so much to erode away all it's culture for the love of condos and a misguided belief it needs to be Singapore. 

Actually if you think about it it isn't Thailand or the Thai people who are trying to erode Thai culture but the people who are slowly and determinedly doing it. They are the "government" which is a misnomer if ever I heard one. 

They are in charge and have the power and the guns to stay there for as long as they wish.

Don't know what needs reviving.  I have no problem finding street food in Krung Thep, and I'm usually not looking for it.  It's literally everywhere people need & want it to be.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Don't know what needs reviving.  I have no problem finding street food in Krung Thep, and I'm usually not looking for it.  It's literally everywhere people need & want it to be.

You must clearly be aware the authorities have got of hand banning street food, markets, culture. 

Cue you to say "oh i like pavements and a boring city". I know how this argument goes. 

Edited by DonniePeverley

3 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

You must clearly be aware the authorities have got of hand banning street food, markets, culture. 

Cue you to say "oh i like pavements and a boring city". I know how this argument goes. 

Feel free to argue with yourself, just leave me out of it. 

As 'I' stated, never a problem finding street food.  It's everywhere.  Your experience, expectations, ability to find may differ.

Have a nice day

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The banning of street food, street markets, eroding at the heart of Thai culture has been one of the bleakest aspects of recent Thai history. Destroying iconic buildings, neighbourhoods, even the train station owned by the government during the past 5 years has been an utter disgrace. 

And who benefits from this? Vulgar capatilists, who see a peice of land and make a grab for short term gain, or to hide illicit wealths from off shore funders (we all know where from).

Instead of the authorities protecting their citizens and the culture of Thailand, they seem to complicit in the behaviour. They'd like to see nothing better than Bangkok full of condos, and little else. Hell they would even build over Phuket beaches with condos if it meant they could earn a little. 

• Like 1