very odd Speed Test

ignis

3 hours ago, robblok said:

In your case they were so nice to show that and apologize for them. Quite often those semi legit channels that people pay for pass the buck and blame your connection.

Actually, it took them over 2 hours to display that message, during which time I was rebooting the set top box, recycling the power, trying other channels, trying my Internet access to their site, and generally cursing them!  ????  

But at least I got to see the end of the snooker match!  ???? 

6 hours ago, ignis said:

so update, TV stopped working @  17:40, would not reconnect

Speed test = Kansas Research - Wichita KS,,,,,,,,,,,,  Ping 354 ms, 3.4 Mbps down + 2.6 up  !!!!

then went to that site  ipleak.net then it shows My IP Address as USA  + DNS 5 Thailand + 2 USA

18:30 TV went again .. checked again

this time Maxihost = Los Angeles  Ping 585  !!  +  IP Address as USA  + DNS  2 USA

Why is it something with my PC ?  I was not doing anything just watching TV sat back in my chair.

the only way I can get it to get back to normal is switch off PC and Router = then back on AIS Thailand + TV works again or at moment...

if it shows you in USA when you do the speedtests on the PC then its likely your Browsec telling that website that (or another VPN)

they try to get the closest location to you, VPN shows you are around LA so you get LA for testing

get rid of it or test with a different browser that does not have Browsec installed

mine always goes to local 3BB 50km away and you of course get maximum speeds but as mentioned before you will mostly never get close to those speeds anywhere outside of Thailand.. which is where 99% of anything you'd want to access on the internet is situated.

so your AIS connection doesn't matter much once it hits out of Thailand, your UK TV channels come from UK (I assume) and not from Samut Prakan

so you get the slow internet from them

if you were to test connection to the UK you would see it's not going to be 850 mbps (probably similar to your LA test)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ignis said:

so update, TV stopped working @  17:40, would not reconnect

Speed test = Kansas Research - Wichita KS,,,,,,,,,,,,  Ping 354 ms, 3.4 Mbps down + 2.6 up  !!!!

then went to that site  ipleak.net then it shows My IP Address as USA  + DNS 5 Thailand + 2 USA

18:30 TV went again .. checked again

this time Maxihost = Los Angeles  Ping 585  !!  +  IP Address as USA  + DNS  2 USA

Why is it something with my PC ?  I was not doing anything just watching TV sat back in my chair.

the only way I can get it to get back to normal is switch off PC and Router = then back on AIS Thailand + TV works again or at moment...

Then you got some VPN software installed even though you claim you did not have something like that installed. Otherwise you would not have an IP in the USA.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

Then you got some VPN software installed even though you claim you did not have something like that installed. Otherwise you would not have an IP in the USA.

He didn't claim that he didn't have VPN software, just that it wasn't turned on

He asked and looked on the PC to see if using a VPN.  No was off + if I ever switch it on it is to UK or Germany.. Never to USA

It sounds to me that whatever VPN he uses is malfunctioning and connecting to other countries on it's own, or maybe he has it on a setting that he didn't intend to. I would uninstall the VPN software and reinstall it, or maybe find another VPN (if he does need a VPN, which it kind of sounds like he doesn't).  

Many thanks all

Will go through all my hard drives + Programmes and try to find any other VPN's, quick look found one not used for many many years 'Hot Spot Shield' now uninstalled

No idea,  the only VPN  sometimes use is only on Chrome, I use Chrome + AVG + Opera + Edge Browsers everyday

When the Internet goes walkabout [or not = no idea] the only thing is the clocks times changes + the weather changes eg: is 20 C 'Bang Bua Thong' now - last night was 46 F 'Chicago'  + my IP Address changes from Thailand to USA....  This happens on ALL the different Browsers  + only having these problem for past 10 days, have not installed anything in this time ..........  if the IP address states USA and I try to log into my Gmail account it goes to security check and have to have my phone to hand for code..... on this site also have to re sign in

Appears to be beyond AIS Engineer, he has no suggestion has been 3 time is 8 days + tried 4 different Routers 

50 minutes ago, ignis said:

Appears to be beyond AIS Engineer, he has no suggestion has been 3 time is 8 days + tried 4 different Routers 

The guys that can really help you are what is known as the ISP team (this is what they are known as with 3BB), they can check most things remotely, as you saw, the engineers will just continually change routers and then hope you will give up calling them.

Did any of these engineers run a traceroute to the overseas servers to deal with you specific issue? You need someone to analyze the data and give you an explanation of why there is an issue rather than trying solve the issue through trial and error.

8 minutes ago, recom273 said:

The guys that can really help you are what is known as the ISP team (this is what they are known as with 3BB), they can check most things remotely, as you saw, the engineers will just continually change routers and then hope you will give up calling them.

Did any of these engineers run a traceroute to the overseas servers to deal with you specific issue? You need someone to analyze the data and give you an explanation of why there is an issue rather than trying solve the issue through trial and error.

Many thanks

Yes agreed,  will try and explain to a Thai friend when they come at the weekend so they can explain on the phone to AIS ISP team in Thai.....  also as it only happens after 5 pm  [5:45 yesterday]  may not be easy

2 hours ago, ignis said:

Many thanks

Yes agreed,  will try and explain to a Thai friend when they come at the weekend so they can explain on the phone to AIS ISP team in Thai.....  also as it only happens after 5 pm  [5:45 yesterday]  may not be easy

It may not be called the ISP team, but there is the equivalent for AIS ( I use 3BB ) I just request a callback from the team. The same guy has always called me back, he can speak English and he's always really helpful. It might not be the same day, If you have an issue at specific times then he will organize his time, they can run tests on their end, logs can be checked if necessary and if need be log into your machine remotely with anydesk or teamviewer. 

• Thanks 1

What happens when you try the same thing on your phone or tablet when connected to wifi? Everything about this from what I can see points to it being something on your laptop.

You are lucky AIS are so lenient, in the UK they would (rightly, I think in this case) be very reluctant to send an engineer and you'd be charged something like £120 for each visit that turned out to be a local (i.e. not an ISP) issue.

1 hour ago, Roger That said:

What happens when you try the same thing on your phone or tablet when connected to wifi? Everything about this from what I can see points to it being something on your laptop.

You are lucky AIS are so lenient, in the UK they would (rightly, I think in this case) be very reluctant to send an engineer and you'd be charged something like £120 for each visit that turned out to be a local (i.e. not an ISP) issue.

1, Don't have a Laptop

2, Don't have a Tablet

3 Don't use phone on wifi

I do have a Android 9, Set Top box + is connected on 5G wifi  and yes when the PC wonder's off to USA, [or My ISP shows USA only] the wifi signal is lost in the living room = why I go to PC to check

you quote  (i.e. not an ISP) issue.  Please then what is it ??  + how to fix ?

OK, PC not laptop.

No idea what's going on with your setup. Can't think of any possible reason that your TV box would disconnect its wifi signal when this issue happens on your PC.

Testing on wifi via a phone / tablet or just another device would be very useful to know. Can't you connect your phone to wifi to test?

yesterday was 21:45 [9;45 pm]  as I go to bed @ 10 pm just shut down.

Today doing search on Google 15:30, suddenly on clicking page 2 the search only searched USA......  Speed Test + PC  IP Address was FL  USA  ?   it went again @ 17:45, this time show  on Speed Test + PC  IP Address as NY  USA

Switch off and unplug Router = on boat up is back to AIS Nonthaburi.... so far everything is working I am sure if it has gone walkabout the temperature is still 29 C and that changes to F if it gone off to USA 

In my search on my PC found something called ASTAR no idea what that is so uninstalled and re booted. cannot find any VPN's, as said before have not downloaded anything for weeks. M$ updated today as it always does most weeks

• 1 month later...

another month gone by and no end to the problems

AIS so say have looked into the problem, then they phone to say problem fixed at there end........ = still the same

Getting ready to ditch AIS Fibre and go back to True Fibre, was with True 17 years with few problems when the house was built there was no other option where I live...

Friend in the Village came down with his laptop...  I switched OFF my PC and disconnected router cable... he connected on 5G  his IP address was Indonesia  ??  his Sister came down a few days later her IP address showed London ??

So my thinking is it has nothing to do with my PC  ??  is it the Router ? only thing is this is the 3rd Router in 8 months = all the same....

No idea....  I watch some UK TV programs that is broadcast out of Dublin, often goes off... shows my IP address as Los Angles mostly, sometimes NY or FL  so no idea is it my Internet going to USA > Dublin > Thailand ? = why the speed drops from 850 Mbps   > 2.4 Mbps  = to slow for IPTV ?

At this moment it says I am connected to 3BB and speed is 966.7 Mbps...  so even better than AIS

28 minutes ago, ignis said:

Getting ready to ditch AIS Fibre and go back to True Fibre, was with True 17 years with few problems when the house was built there was no other option where I live...

Prices are so cheap some customers run two ISPs, most often AIS Fiber and 3BB Fiber.

28 minutes ago, ignis said:

Friend in the Village came down with his laptop...  I switched OFF my PC and disconnected router cable... he connected on 5G  his IP address was Indonesia  ??  his Sister came down a few days later her IP address showed London ??

This is quite strange.

You have internet connectivity, right?

What country's IP address is issued to your device(s)?

I doubt it's the router, three "failures" seem beyond believable.

What router make and model do you have?

In a browser go to myaisfibre.com

any messages there about updating firmware? If so, don't do it yet.

Check internet speed adjustments, top line look OK package speeds? Speedo looks OK?

You have just one router? From AIS? And it is directly connected via ethernet to your PC?

So connected, using a browser go to the UI 192.168.1.1, log in, tell us what it says for Internet Status, top center.

Open a DOS box (CMD.EXE)

type ipconfig /all

note details, copy and paste to wordpad what are the numbers shown for DNS Servers?

type ipconfig /flushdns

type ipconfig /all 

again, compare to previous

restart PC

Have you ever run a VPN client on this PC?

Which browser? Temporarily disable all extensions.

Are you running anti-virus software?

Edited by mtls2005

What router make and model do you have?

In a browser go to myaisfibre.com

Internet Type
FTTH
Province
NONTHABURI
Online Status

My profile
Current Package Info. Internet Package  Power4 Limited Edition 1000/200Mbps 399THB (from 999THB) 12Months
Current Speed 1000/200 Mbps 
Online Info. IPv4  100.99.120.174
IPv6 
MAC Address  20:ab:48:96:f8:65
Device Info. Manufacture  Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd HG8245W5
Hardware Version  163D.A
Software Version  V5R019C20S133
Edited by ignis

You have just one router? From AIS? And it is directly connected via ethernet to your PC? 

YES

So connected, using a browser go to the UI 192.168.1.1, log in, tell us what it says for Internet Status, top center.

My Partner has the code book, so cannot login until back on Sunday..  will ask tonight if I remember via phone.

Edited by ignis

Which browser? Temporarily disable all extensions.

Chrome

AVG

Opera

EDGE  with No extensions

No idea why this matters ? the IP address still goes walk about if I switched OFF my PC and disconnected router cable........  My Android 9 Box is connected via 5G only, friends Laptop as well. his Sisters laptop via  ethernet cable to Router so nothing to do with my PC ?

Edited by ignis

48 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

That is the current/latest firmware rev. for that make and model.

Router login credentials may be saved in a browser?

You've got a strange one there. 

Yes, even the AIS Engineer cannot work it out...  the present Router is the 3rd different make = all the same... his last visit he was here over 3 hours trying to work it out, and not just my PC his work laptop was also all over the place

Can someone/workman/lineman make a mess up ?  just found out someone a few houses up the Village with TOT nt-valuemax-fiber is having a lot of problems for the past month

At this very moment it appears to have left 3BB and gone back to AIS @ 610.11 Mbps

5 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Maybe try a different speed test website also.  

The speed test site is what AIS use,,,,,,,,,

Appears the speed is related to IP address, and mine keep going to many Countries and not staying in Thailand..

On 1/21/2022 at 2:29 AM, ignis said:

The speed test site is what AIS use,,,,,,,,,

Appears the speed is related to IP address, and mine keep going to many Countries and not staying in Thailand..

Could it hurt to try another speed test website?  Takes all of 5 seconds to type it in and click go.  

1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

Could it hurt to try another speed test website?  Takes all of 5 seconds to type it in and click go.  

try another speed test website?

Yes can do no problem, but with replies here, have moved on to my IP address keeps changing, + PC can be turn off and Router cable unplugged, but the 5G Wi-Fi will still go off to another Country.

some months ago there was a problem in the Village with everyone's [all different providers] Internet..

Turned out the wooden poles had been replaced, 13 km are now all concrete poles. + someone so we were told  had tried to cut out the old cables and tidy up, so some Live cables were missing others connected the wrong wires, and not just this Village......  

Just find it is odd the way things are done here, New Company = another new line = a jumble up mess of old line + Live new cables all on poles.

Just wondered if this had something to do with the problem,  friends further up the Village are on TOT Fibre and have no end of problems [still on going]

I've had problems with my (dodgy) IPTV provider all afternoon today - lots of buffering.

They 're looking into it now.

Here are my speed test results from TestMy.net - set to test from Singapore, where the IPTV server is supposed to be:

1839329283_Screenshot2022-01-25195142AfterProblems20220125660.jpg.fe1da1206ebd670b6985164be18793fc.jpg

- that's plenty fast enough.