very odd Speed Test

ignis

for a week or so have speed problems, so have a question

No problem today until 17:00

5 pm - Ping 2 ms - 819 Mbps down and 253 up............ so OK... shows AIS - Nonthaburi

since then  tried again 5 times - Ping 225 - 16 Mbps down and 2 up ..................... shows Maxihost LLC - Los Angeles CA 

Why will it not stay on what it is set on ?  for a week have reset 2 or 3 times a day

AIS Engineer came yesterday, tried 3 different routers  all the same in over 1 hours appeared many times 3 different places in CA on all the routers, as well as Nonthaburi.......  he also deleted Speed Test and re installed the new up to date one + 100 % set to AIS .. yet the internet is off again around the world = TV cut off

He asked and looked on the PC to see if using a VPN.  No was off + if I ever switch it on it is to UK or Germany.. Never to USA

Any help please it is driving me crazy

I have Adguard adblocker installed and the difference between when

its switch on  and off , it's 50 % slower when it's on ,you have adblocker on ?, "No problem today until 17:00 "

that's when more kids will open up their PC's and Mobile phones to go on social

media etc, more online, the Internet is bound to be slower.

regards worgeordie

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I have Adguard adblocker installed and the difference between when

its switch on  and off , it's 50 % slower when it's on ,you have adblocker on ?, "No problem today until 17:00 "

that's when more kids will open up their PC's and Mobile phones to go on social

media etc, more online, the Internet is bound to be slower.

regards worgeordie

Adguard adblocker is installed and on... Never switch off for years, very odd occasions will pause on something it blocks something I want to check out

Just test again  Ping 4 ms shows AIS - 867 Mbp down and 232 up.....  so all is good

just cannot work out why late afternoon will suddenly starts connecting to USA

33 minutes ago, ignis said:

Adguard adblocker is installed and on... Never switch off for years, very odd occasions will pause on something it blocks something I want to check out

Just test again  Ping 4 ms shows AIS - 867 Mbp down and 232 up.....  so all is good

just cannot work out why late afternoon will suddenly starts connecting to USA

I have Browsec VPN , I can have it on to UK , for BBC , but    on Google

it says I am in Netherlands , sometimes UAE , but BBC works so must be

there......I think. I was surprised how much Adguard cut  the speed ,while on,

so switched over to Ublock origin , works well and does not affect the speed.

regards Worgeordie

Have you checked what your public IP address is, as you may still be connected to the VPN tunnel without knowing it. Also, check your DNS settings. Do an IP check that shows both your IP address and DNS resolver. That might supply some clues. Also, what VPN protocol u lasted connected...wireguard by any chance and what computer mac or PC? What vpn service did you use?

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Why don't you just manually select AIS Nonthaburi on the speed test?

And also what exactly is your problem?

what exactly is your problem?

watching TV it will suddenly freeze,     NO VPN needed,

but in the middle of watching it stops because for some unknown reason to me  the connection has gone walkabout mostly to the USA...  Very annoying when your watching LIVE  F1 racing.  or weeknights when watching Gold Rush....

What I find odd.. mostly watch TV on my PC  42" monitor connected to router with Cat 8 cable.  [also have a cat5 + cat6 cables all the same]  it I go to front room and watch on TV is the same and that one is connected via Wi-Fi  5G............ So my thinking it has nothing to do with my PC ?

4 minutes ago, ignis said:

what exactly is your problem?

watching TV it will suddenly freeze,     NO VPN needed,

but in the middle of watching it stops because for some unknown reason to me  the connection has gone walkabout mostly to the USA...  Very annoying when your watching LIVE  F1 racing.  or weeknights when watching Gold Rush....

What I find odd.. mostly watch TV on my PC  42" monitor connected to router with Cat 8 cable.  [also have a cat5 + cat6 cables all the same]  it I go to front room and watch on TV is the same and that one is connected via Wi-Fi  5G............ So my thinking it has nothing to do with my PC ?

Im not so sure that you understand your own problem.

What speedtest does and where it connects to has absolutely no effect on your whatever your watching.

The problem could be the server that you connect too to watch your Racing.

That your speedtest changes servers.. strange.. but does not really matter.

Because when you watch your racing you connect to the server that supplies you that tv feed. Its quite possible that that server is overloaded. 

Its either a problem from 3bb (but nothing to do with speedtest) or the server you are connecting to to watch your show.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, fjb 24 said:

Have you checked what your public IP address is, as you may still be connected to the VPN tunnel without knowing it. Also, check your DNS settings. Do an IP check that shows both your IP address and DNS resolver. That might supply some clues. Also, what VPN protocol u lasted connected...wireguard by any chance and what computer mac or PC? What vpn service did you use?

at the moment says   public IP address  - Thailand - Bangkok 

DNS Addresses - 8 servers  Thailand - Bangkok for all 8

Browsec VPN over a week ago and on my Window 10 PC,   DO NOT have a VPN at all on the Front room TV

Do you mean to check this again when the connection suddenly goes off to USA ?

Edited by ignis

@ignis

The server does not go off to the USA that only happens on speedtest. I mean its just that for some reason that website sends you to an LA server to test. Strange but not a problem at all.

If you have no VPN on or anything and you just select the site you want to watch your racing on then that is what it connects to and nothing else.

Just like now you connect to this forum and nothing else your speedtest might change right now but you still stay connected to the server that runs this forum.

So the speedtest issue is separate (and not an issue at all).

The watching of your racing is the problem, that can either be caused by 3bb being slow or the server that hosts that racing show being overloaded by people who connect to it.

Its hard to find out where the problem lies unless you got someone who knows what they are doing there at that moment.

When it stops, then you should try an other site and see if that works (also in a foreign country an other stream) if it does then its most likely on the side of the people who stream your racing. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

@ignis

The server does not go off to the USA that only happens on speedtest. I mean its just that for some reason that website sends you to an LA server to test. Strange but not a problem at all.

If you have no VPN on or anything and you just select the site you want to watch your racing on then that is what it connects to and nothing else.

Just like now you connect to this forum and nothing else your speedtest might change right now but you still stay connected to the server that runs this forum.

The watching of your racing is the problem, that can either be caused by 3bb being slow or the server that hosts that racing show being overloaded by people who connect to it.

Its hard to find out where the problem lies unless you got someone who knows what they are doing there at that moment.

When it stops, then you should try an other site and see if that works (also in a foreign country an other stream) if it does then its most likely on the side of the people who stream your racing. 

OK thanks

I do have 5 different sites to get UK TV most of these have both HD and SD - None need a VPN, in fact have tried in the past to connect using a VPN and no channel will work.

2 minutes ago, ignis said:

OK thanks

I do have 5 different sites to get UK TV most of these have both HD and SD - None need a VPN, in fact have tried in the past to connect using a VPN and no channel will work.

Good if  you dont need it don't use it.

The speedtest issue is really separate it just selects an other test location. (strange but does not mean all your data goes there)

If you connect to a site / server you stay there that connection stays and wont change.

Possible problems are 

- your own connection (but if its in the middle of the night i doubt many are using internet but its a possibility) if not many use internet your connections will be faster

- the server you connect to, if its a popular thing and many are watching that server might not be able to handle all the data and it freezes. 

Personally i think option 2 is most likely. (but its a bit hard to check)

Are these paid for services or not (if paid for go to their support though usually they try to pass the buck blame it on your connection as they dont like to increase their capacity as it costs money.

However if all internet on foreign sites at that moment is slow then it could be your connection at home. You mention UK TV maybe find an other site in the UK you can download something large from and try that at that time.. if it is slow (slower as an other time that you try it its could point to your connection)

I know very little about these things that is why I asked

Just odd to me  I get 800 Mbps + from AIS Fiber then if i have a problem on viewing will do a Speed test and it shows between 2 - 16 Mbps and from USA........... so thought this was the problem

OK I built this PC 11 years ago, so expect things to be a bit slower

Also odd ?? AIS Engineer has a laptop, when connected to AIS  Nonthaburi he gets 960 Mbps, but if it connect to USA  get less than  20 Mbps 

21 minutes ago, ignis said:

Just odd to me  I get 800 Mbps + from AIS Fiber then if i have a problem on viewing will do a Speed test and it shows between 2 - 16 Mbps and from USA........... so thought this was the problem

Also odd ?? AIS Engineer has a laptop, when connected to AIS  Nonthaburi he gets 960 Mbps, but if it connect to USA  get less than  20 Mbps 

Install DNSJumper , a small free app, lets you easily change your DNS

till you find the best one for you.has a wide selection of DNS 's installed,

select , apply ,flush DNS.   

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ignis said:

Actually that is not odd at all.

If you connect to a server in an other country you in general always get slower speeds. So not strange at all. Sites in Thailand will always load faster (in general). 

The speeds you get to foreign servers are always slower, and that is what you connect to for your racing (the UK in this example)

It also differs if its a paid for server with a huge capacity or not. Sure the internet provider has limited bandwidth to foreign countries but if the server you connect to is really busy (they dont have a good server or data package as its expensive usually the case with free services) that speed can go even lower.

Your speeds are guaranteed for Thailand not for international connections.

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

Install DNSJumper , a small free app, lets you easily change your DNS

till you find the best one for you.has a wide selection of DNS 's installed,

select , apply ,flush DNS.   

regards Worgeordie

It could solve it but i doubt it. Your thinking its a routing problem.

Just imagine this you got a shop that gives out free stuff or really cheap stuff. To keep costs down they employ 1 person. Many people want to buy stuff so there is a huge cue and things go slow.

Then there is an other more expensive shop that has 5 employees, and because its more expensive fewer people will go there. You will be helped faster.

Same goes for servers the free servers are usually not high spec and dont pay for loads of bandwidth so in times that everyone connects to it it can go really slow.

Add to that that you make a connection from Thailand it will even slow things down even more.

@worgeordie routing problems do exists but are usually not the cause.

50 minutes ago, ignis said:

That's how it should be, anything else would be strange.

You do of course get way better speed from a local server, than from one on the other side of the world.

51 minutes ago, ignis said:

What speed do you get if you manually select the AIS Nonthaburi server in the speed test when you have a problem viewing?

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

That's how it should be, anything else would be strange.

You do of course get way better speed from a local server, than from one on the other side of the world.

What speed do you get if you manually select the AIS Nonthaburi server in the speed test when you have a problem viewing?

'manually select the AIS Nonthaburi server.'  --  never tried,  OK will do that next time [maybe later today]

I power down PC and unplug Router for 2 - 3 mins,  when all is back up running try again = back to AIS + TV working again

7 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I could never understand some peoples obsession with speed. I think the various companies cash-in on this too.

Over and above a certain speed, the average user would not notice anyway in practical usage terms.

Concerned about miliseconds ? really ?.......oh well up to you, as the Thais say ????

I case you are gamer latency is literally a dead or alive issue. ????

• Like 1

so update, TV stopped working @  17:40, would not reconnect

Speed test = Kansas Research - Wichita KS,,,,,,,,,,,,  Ping 354 ms, 3.4 Mbps down + 2.6 up  !!!!

then went to that site  ipleak.net then it shows My IP Address as USA  + DNS 5 Thailand + 2 USA

18:30 TV went again .. checked again

this time Maxihost = Los Angeles  Ping 585  !!  +  IP Address as USA  + DNS  2 USA

Why is it something with my PC ?  I was not doing anything just watching TV sat back in my chair.

the only way I can get it to get back to normal is switch off PC and Router = then back on AIS Thailand + TV works again or at moment...

8 hours ago, robblok said:

@ignis

My IPTV provider had major problems a couple of days ago and I missed two hours of the Scottish snooker final.

My speed tests were OK - not a 3BB problem.

293462969_IMG_20211212_232438edit700.jpg.7cc0c74e5fed59b4af19a30f4b6d611e.jpg

40 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

My IPTV provider had major problems a couple of days ago and I missed two hours of the Scottish snooker final.

My speed tests were OK - not a 3BB problem.

293462969_IMG_20211212_232438edit700.jpg.7cc0c74e5fed59b4af19a30f4b6d611e.jpg

Its always hard to know where the problems are but if the rest of your internet connections are fine then its usually a server problem on the side of the organization that provides the channel. 

In your case they were so nice to show that and apologize for them. Quite often those semi legit channels that people pay for pass the buck and blame your connection.

People are quick to blame Thai internet (and it is indeed a problem that there is limited international bandwith)

• Like 1