Used JR Hokkaido train cars arrive in Thailand

webfact

10 hours ago, meauwnam said:

It wouldn't surprise me if these Japanese trains are used on the Bangkok - Nam Tok route

Negative! They forgot to check the track gauge. The JR rolling stock are standard gauge the existing Thai rail is 1 meter gauge. Presumably these are intended for use on the new tracks?

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It is OK to spend tens of billions on utterly useless submarines, but spending real money on us commoners seems to be beyond the scope, vision and willingness of the (PTA) pathetic Thai army. 

My Navy friend tells me the subs are being supplied with train wheel bogie sets to enable passenger use when not patrolling the depths of the Gulf of Thailand. First Class sleeper units will be in the torpedo tubes. Remember, you heard it here first......????

If they didn't waste so much money on uneeded Military Hardware they could easily afford 'New' trains; Standard Guage ones that run on newly laid Standard Guage Track.  There might be some money left over to get all the filthy, disgusting Overhead Wires underground as well !

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

All is revealed in The Nation. (See link below) Most of Japan's railways are Cape Gauge, 1.067m, so with modified bogies they'll be quite at home on Thailand's meter gauge tracks.

https://www.nationthailand.com/blogs/in-focus/40009927

Thanks. I see that now. Having travelled on JR high speed 'Bullet trains' I thought all track was Standard Gauge. Clearly, the 'new' stock used on 1 meter gauge is suitable only for lower speeds and will be used on the dual track currently being installed. I hope they have taken the extra weight into proper consideration. The ex JR stock looks to be heavy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Laos has a new modern high speed train system but Thailand is acquiring old slow speed trains?

Thailand is falling behind Laos

Correction. Laos has one high speed line, running from Vientiane up to Chinese border and beyond and the Chinese paid for it all. And that's virtually it apart the short line that runs across the bridge into Nong Khai, that's it.

So which country is lagging behind when it comes to railways?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I defy you to look at that picture and not think rust bucket

I've taxed worse!

Seriously, having spent many many years as a volunteer worker on a UK heritage (steam railway) the bodywork looks perfectly sound. The visible rust is superficial, if they were shipped as deck cargo it may even come from the sea air on the journey.

The more important thing is why did Japanese Railway withdraw them? Were they surplus to requirements, replaced by newer, more efficient, cheaper to operate and maintain units, or were they "all worn out"? Even if it is the latter, railway vehicles can be almost infinitely repaired and restored. Wheelsets can be replaced ( they will have to be anyway to fit the Thai gauge) bogies and mechanicals refurbished, and the chassis are massively strong due to the "buffing loads" they are required to withstand. The bodywork is a simple replating job.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Correction. Laos has one high speed line, running from Vientiane up to Chinese border and beyond and the Chinese paid for it all. And that's virtually it apart the short line that runs across the bridge into Nong Khai, that's it.

So which country is lagging behind when it comes to railways?

The biggest cities in Laos (Vientiene, Luang Prabang etc) are connected by that train and it's all that matters as that is the economic hub of Laos.

There are no high speed train in Thailand connecting Chiang Mai to Bangkok to Phuket. 

I've slept on these snail-trains in Thailand (which takes long hours) and it's uncomfortable and bumpy. That's why I would rather take VIP buses that takes shorter time but with more comfort.

Edited by EricTh

5 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Negative! They forgot to check the track gauge. The JR rolling stock are standard gauge the existing Thai rail is 1 meter gauge. Presumably these are intended for use on the new tracks?

Thai railways are metre gauge (1000mm), Japanese conventional railways (not the bullet trains) are "Cape Gauge" 1067mm (3'6").

It is a relatively simple engineering exercise to jack up the carriage, roll out the bogies, lift the bogie, roll out a wheelset and roll in a new one.

The bigger limiting factor is the loading gauge - the dimensions of the overhead structures, bridges and tunnels. Looking at the high mounted driving cabs, and the amount of stuff on the roofs, I would not be surprised if they were "out of gauge" for a lot of the network, which would limit their usefulness. I am pretty sure, for example, that they would not fit through the tunnels at the northern end of the Chiang Mai route.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Thai railways are metre gauge (1000mm), Japanese conventional railways (not the bullet trains) are "Cape Gauge" 1067mm (3'6").

It is a relatively simple engineering exercise to jack up the carriage, roll out the bogies, lift the bogie, roll out a wheelset and roll in a new one.

The bigger limiting factor is the loading gauge - the dimensions of the overhead structures, bridges and tunnels. Looking at the high mounted driving cabs, and the amount of stuff on the roofs, I would not be surprised if they were "out of gauge" for a lot of the network, which would limit their usefulness. I am pretty sure, for example, that they would not fit through the tunnels at the northern end of the Chiang Mai route.

It is not being used as a normal commuter train, but as a tourist train on tourist routes.

One single individual train is pretty useless on a commuter route.

1 hour ago, bangon04 said:

Even the Fukushima trains are electric........

But large sections of rail in other parts of Japan are not.  I forget the percentage but it is surprisingly high.  My first trip there I was expecting rail perfection and I got that on the Shinkansen, but I did several journeys that were on rickety old diesel trains - it was a real surprise to me.

Britain is only around 40% electrified.  USA if I remember correctly is under 5%.

9 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Would be interesting to see the condition of the car interiors.

Not hard to find pictures if you can be bothered.  Pretty good although they are being fully refurbished anyway.    This will be a tourist train, not a commuter train.

265691364_5274430745905087_3339748722445165403_n.jpeg

265666553_5274430915905070_7849588664445606009_n.jpeg

265699927_5274431012571727_4692583218451754153_n.jpeg

265920058_5274430995905062_8097888329472635022_n.jpeg

265580607_5274430632571765_1213378566712937685_n.jpeg

• Thanks 2

actually its a shame for a country like Thailand, depending on some 2nd hand wagons and a Railwaysystem made more then 100 years as a present from England, not spending some more money into more enviromental friendly transport systems.
Sometimes i think they want everything for free, be it the highway in Bkk they never paid for, a motorcycle for the brother of the wifey or a new Railwaysystem sponsored by CHINA ????
Thailand is one of the richest countries in Asia, but has 3rd world trains like somewhere in Central Africa. Phuket still does not even have access to the Railway system, next station Surathani is 300km away. Since i remember they are talking about it... ????

17 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

I like BA's Metro. Do they still have the wooden trains that have been described as 'creaking along inside an antique wardrobe'?

Haven't been there in about 10 years, back when the peso was 3.xx to the US$

There is that subway line along the south of the city with the ancient cars with doors that have to be open by the passengers, and sometimes open by themselves when the train is in motion.  Gotta wonder how many casualties these have caused over the years.  Somewhere along that line (can't recall where) there is (was?) an ice cream parlor where the guy makes his own ice cream, worth the ride IMO, just keep away from the doors while in motion.

I know in NYC not all the subway lines can use cars interchangeably as well.  When I was a boy we lived on a line that was almost as bad, with straw seats that would tear your trousers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, moskito said:

OK, Thailand's railways are pretty poor but are improving.  The SRT is probably the most ineffiecient government agency of all, but sorry we can't just make stuff up to criticise.

actually its a shame for a country like Thailand, depending on some 2nd hand wagons and a Railwaysystem made more then 100 years as a present from England, not spending some more money into more enviromental friendly transport systems.

They are not depending on 2nd hand wagons.  This was a (dubious) "gift" from Japan which is being refurbished and turned in to a tourist train.  Just a few years ago they purchased 115 brand new cars, so not true to say they are depending on handouts, they are not.

And what are you on about that the railway system was a present from England?  No it wasn't.  Nothing of the sort in fact.  The first line was built by a Danish company.  The Brits had nothing to do with it, nothing at all.

Thailand is upgrading the network quite considerably (easily the most investment I have seen in the railway here in my 26 years) with double tracks.  It would be nice to electrify but one step at a time, at least there is significant progress being made.  And let's not forget the huge electric network being built in Bangkok at the moment - an enormous undertaking and to be applauded (thought it is not without its faults such as not having a unified ticketing system).

Sometimes i think they want everything for free, be it the highway in Bkk they never paid for, a motorcycle for the brother of the wifey or a new Railwaysystem sponsored by CHINA ????

Which highway in Bangkok did they not pay for?  Please do tell.  You must have some serious insider knowledge, love to hear it.

And where is this railway system sponsored by China?  That doesn't exist either.  They were/are looking at Chinese railways which makes sense as the Chinese are the world leaders in that technology, but they rejected Chinese financing as the interest rates were too high.  So, again, where is this new railway system sponsored by China?  It doesn't exist.

Thailand is one of the richest countries in Asia, but has 3rd world trains like somewhere in Central Africa. Phuket still does not even have access to the Railway system, next station Surathani is 300km away. Since i remember they are talking about it... ????

Phuket is an island.   And the topography in that southern region means it would be hugely complex and massively expensive to extend the railway network.  Surely you know that?  

Sorry for the long post, just had to challenge your nonsense.  Interested to hear your response.

23 hours ago, Almer said:

New rolling stock would achieve higher occupancy therefor helping the economy, more Subs( which I think has been shelved, or sunk) means an intending invader will think long and hard.

For  now I will start the 7 hour slog from KK to Bangers by road which is even with all it road casultues a more comfortable option than the current rattlers.

Why do these countries donate to a regime of self entitlement with no redress

I agree with most of what you said. But, was the intended invader part, intended to be a joke? Sure hope so.