Used JR Hokkaido train cars arrive in Thailand

webfact

14 minutes ago, webfact said:

Used trains manufactured in Japan are popular in Southeast Asian countries.

And in the Buenos Aires subway system as well.  But I don't know if they  bother to refurbish, the cars there still have signs in Japanese.  They probably just hose them down inside and out and that's it. 

There are certain lines there that have ancient cars where the passengers have to open the doors manually.

15 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Looks like a KiHa 183-900 built in 1979 so only 42 years old.

They will certainly need new wheel-sets. Japan is "cape gauge" (1,067mm) whereas Thailand is true "metre gauge" (1,000mm).

Actually I think they are more likely the 183-0 production units built between 1981 and 1983. According to wiki (not the most reliable of sources mind) all were scrapped by 2018. So these units have been stood since then.

4 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

What a dreadful PR exercise. Has "embarrassing" written all over it.

"Train-wreck" seems appropriate for this fiasco.

Critics have been harsh since this "donation" was announced back in September. We were told that the decision to accept these was "not political". Which means it was.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is OK to spend tens of billions on utterly useless submarines, but spending real money on us commoners seems to be beyond the scope, vision and willingness of the (PTA) pathetic Thai army. 

New rolling stock would achieve higher occupancy therefor helping the economy, more Subs( which I think has been shelved, or sunk) means an intending invader will think long and hard.

For  now I will start the 7 hour slog from KK to Bangers by road which is even with all it road casultues a more comfortable option than the current rattlers.

Why do these countries donate to a regime of self entitlement with no redress