Retirement "O" Visa, Health Insurance for Thailand Pass

My friend who is 85 returned to his home in Northern Ireland 2 months ago and now it attempting to return to LOS using the Thailand Pass.

He has a valid retirement visa extension O type valid until end of May next year.

He has received the double jab and is therefore valid to enter Thailand under the Thailand Pass scheme, just staying one night in a SHA hotel awaiting the result of the PCR test upon arrival in Bangkok.

He had previously entered Thailand some months ago using the COE and spent 2 weeks in quarantine.

This time his problem is because of his age he is having difficulty obtaining health insurance for his length of stay. He can get Covid insurance with no difficulty, that's what he used for his previous COE entry.

So the question is does he actually need health insurance or just Covid insurance? If its just Covid insurance its not a problem, if its both it is a problem. Has anyone any information on this or on what his options are?

Is there an official statement from Immigration? Thanks.

39 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

This time his problem is because of his age he is having difficulty obtaining health insurance for his length of stay. He can get Covid insurance with no difficulty, that's what he used for his previous COE entry.

So the question is does he actually need health insurance or just Covid insurance? If its just Covid insurance its not a problem, if its both it is a problem. Has anyone any information on this or on what his options are?

Is there an official statement from Immigration? Thanks.

For the Thailand Pass it's now known as 'Medical' Insurance.
$50,000 USD which must cover all medical expenditures (accident, injury, sickness,) including Covid treatment.

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The medical term used now is a bit vague.

The insurance from the site will be accepted and the limit is 99 years. https://covid19.tgia.org/

Thanks Joe. So that would cover him for Covid, would that be all he needs to apply for the Thailand pass. I mean he wouldn't need any other insurance?

1 hour ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Thanks Joe. So that would cover him for Covid, would that be all he needs to apply for the Thailand pass. I mean he wouldn't need any other insurance?

No need for any other insurance since he apparently is extending a entry from a non-o visa. 

On 12/16/2021 at 10:44 AM, ubonjoe said:

The medical term used now is a bit vague.

The insurance from the site will be accepted and the limit is 99 years. https://covid19.tgia.org/

Taken them long enough to update the information on their site Joe.

I'm sure they referred to it as 'Medical Insurance' just to differentiate from the 'Health Insurance' requirements of the Non Imm O-A.

Edited by Tanoshi

Upon Joe,

I’m in Thailand now and got here using the COE.  For that I was able to use my Blue Cross/Blue Shield (US) insurance which is their international coverage and they wrote me a letter that it was valid for Thailand.  If I leave the country and had to return using Thai Pass would a US insurer be OK or does it have to be Thai?  I’m here on a Non-O.

14 minutes ago, eastbaybob said:

If I leave the country and had to return using Thai Pass would a US insurer be OK or does it have to be Thai?  

Your US insurance could be used for insurance required for the Thailand Pass if it meets $50,000 requirement.

• Like 1