Is San Kamphaeng Hot Springs Open

connda

When we were there years ago there seemed to be another establishment next door (to the left of the main entrance) it looked like the 'lesser' and we didn't bother going in there.

Has anyone ever been there.?

What's it like.?

And are they (the main hot springs) still charging farang prices for us.?

The other half (some may say better half) had one hell of a 'barney' with the staff when they charged me farang price.!

We usually go once or twice a year.  Haven't been since Feb 2020. 
Nice park, pleasant atmosphere.  Yeah the dual pricing sucks.  I've been able to talk them down to a Thai price once.  They just put on their "confused" face with wife and myself talking Thai at them.  It's worth the 50 THB not to have to see that face again.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, connda said:

We usually go once or twice a year.  Haven't been since Feb 2020. 
Nice park, pleasant atmosphere.  Yeah the dual pricing sucks.  I've been able to talk them down to a Thai price once.  They just put on their "confused" face with wife and myself talking Thai at them.  It's worth the 50 THB not to have to see that face again.

Yes, I went there once, told them I wanted the price written in Thai, they were so impressed I could read the Thai numbers they let me in for that price.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, I went there once, told them I wanted the price written in Thai, they were so impressed I could read the Thai numbers they let me in for that price.

I've messed with them telling that I want the puu sung ayuu (old people) price.  Then I challenge their respect for the elderly.  Then I get "the face." Uggh.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, connda said:

I've messed with them telling that I want the puu sung ayuu (old people) price.  Then I challenge their respect for the elderly.  Then I get "the face." Uggh.

Huay Tung Tao is good for that, over age 60 is free entry.

They always want me to pay 50Bht, I always get in free.

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I was there 3 days ago, so yes it is open ,and I tried the 'Senior' price please....no result, Driving Licence ....no result. So I had to pay 100 baht not the 40 for Thai. So well done, I must resolve to learn 2 more Thai words next year.

That's not the only problem with the signage though...they recommend 8 minutes for a soft boiled egg and my eggs were still too runny after 9 minutes.

I would also advise extending your journey to Mae Kampong and the waterfall at Nam Mae Kampong.  I managed all 7 levels at my age so should be fun for your g/daughter.

Just don't expect it to be quiet. Very few places to park , heaving with visitors at the weekend and the road there is quite narrow. I lived on the edge of Derbyshire and I am quite used to 'bends' in the road. Thais aren't and some of them think their cars are 30 cm wider than they actually are and will use your side of the road as well as theirs. 

20 hours ago, connda said:

ผู้สูงอายุ = "the elderly"

ผู้ = people

สูง = advanced

อายุ = age

On 12/18/2021 at 3:41 PM, millymoopoo said:

When we were there years ago there seemed to be another establishment next door (to the left of the main entrance) it looked like the 'lesser' and we didn't bother going in there.

Has anyone ever been there.?

What's it like.?

And are they (the main hot springs) still charging farang prices for us.?

The other half (some may say better half) had one hell of a 'barney' with the staff when they charged me farang price.!

What was the final outcome after the argument with the ticket staff? Did they call security?

Edited by EricTh

On 12/19/2021 at 7:00 AM, BritManToo said:

Is this for real? Even if we don't know how to read the Thai numerals, we are still able to pronounce the words si sip. Nothing difficult about that. I am surprised she let you in.

Recently , there is a new ticket staff who is loud-mouthed and crude. I doubt you will be able to get pass her with Thai price.

Edited by EricTh

On 12/19/2021 at 11:53 AM, DaLa said:

I was there 3 days ago, so yes it is open ,and I tried the 'Senior' price please....no result, Driving Licence ....no result. So I had to pay 100 baht not the 40 for Thai. So well done, I must resolve to learn 2 more Thai words next year.

That's not the only problem with the signage though...they recommend 8 minutes for a soft boiled egg and my eggs were still too runny after 9 minutes.

Can foreigners qualify for the senior price? How old must we be to get that price? above 50 or above 60?

Which Thai words?

13 hours ago, EricTh said:

Can foreigners qualify for the senior price? How old must we be to get that price? above 50 or above 60?

Which Thai words?

I've obtained 'senior' price when over 60 (Driving licence as proof) in various places. At this particular attraction they did not offer Thai rate. On the other side of the city at Queen Sirikit Botanical Gardens it's free for any Thai or non Thai senior.

I live in Nonthaburi and the MRT has a 'senior' rate for non Thai, the rest of the Sky train in Bangkok does not.  

Just worth a try where ever you visit.  

Haven't decided on the 2 words yet. The previous 100 haven't been much use as I still get strange looks when I attempt to speak Thai. The problem is my vocal range is around 3 semi-tones which make  phonemic Thai difficult for me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EricTh said:

Is this for real? Even if we don't know how to read the Thai numerals, we are still able to pronounce the words si sip. Nothing difficult about that. I am surprised she let you in.

Thai script numerals and not readable to most foreigners.

As for age, 'Hok seep pee lairw'

Edited by BritManToo

On 12/20/2021 at 9:51 PM, EricTh said:

What was the final outcome after the argument with the ticket staff? Did they call security?

Oh I just paid them, think it was 100/150bht.
The counter staff are just minions, they don't make the decisions.

The other half just stormed off telling them where to go or some such in Thai.

The garden/springs/pools are quite good, I just wanted to get in and enjoy them

5 hours ago, millymoopoo said:

Oh I just paid them, think it was 100/150bht.
The counter staff are just minions, they don't make the decisions.

The other half just stormed off telling them where to go or some such in Thai.

The garden/springs/pools are quite good, I just wanted to get in and enjoy them

I think there are extra charge for the pools (that is separate from the entrance fees), how much do they charge foreigners for using the pool?

I think there are extra charge for the pools (that is separate from the entrance fees), how much do they charge foreigners for using the pool?

Entry into the park gives you access to the public pool, but there are private 'spa/bath' rooms also, which I think are 300 bht, but we didn't use one so don't hold me to that price.
Also there are lockers for your clothes when you go swimming, not sure, but they may have been 10 or 20 bht key deposit.

22 hours ago, millymoopoo said:

Entry into the park gives you access to the public pool, . . .

If this is true, I've been duped.  I've always had to pay an additional cost to use the large pool.  Anyone else with similar experience?

Chiang Mai: Ausflug zu den Hot Springs San Kamphaeng - Misses Backpack

My Thai wife and I were there last Monday and surprised that there were quite a few visitors unlike a few months ago when the place was all but empty.

My wife handled the entry fees with my pink card which got a nod of approval. Total cost of entry ,use of pool and 2 freshly laundered towels in sealed plastic bags was 200 baht for both of us. I don't know the breakdown but for 90 minutes of enjoyment I didn't think that was expensive and no sign of any unpleasant staff, the opposite in fact.

Our own village pool has a 60 b entry fee and some charge 100 baht.

We then had lunch in the restaurant adjacent to the pool and total cost was around 300 baht with food and drinks.

All in all for 500 baht a very pleasant morning and the gardens are full of flowering plants/trees for photo ops.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 8:20 AM, MrBrad said:

If this is true, I've been duped.  I've always had to pay an additional cost to use the large pool.  Anyone else with similar experience?

Chiang Mai: Ausflug zu den Hot Springs San Kamphaeng - Misses Backpack

We have to pay extra to use the pool. There is another payment counter just beside the pool that we need to pay to use the pool. 

Edited by EricTh

8 hours ago, millymoopoo said:

I've never had to pay for the public (large) pool, but I'm pretty sure we paid for locker keys for the dry clothes, which may well be way of accessing that pool.

How much did they charge you for that? 

At the entry point to the park just tell them you want to use the large pool and you would like ,in our case, 2 towels. Total cost as I said was 200 baht for both of us. We were given, as we always are,  tickets which we then presented to the kiosk at the entry to the pool and foot massage area. Leaving after showering put the towels in the basket provided, dead simple and in our opinion good value. 

• Thanks 1

I was there today but I didn't expect so many people because it's a monday.

Hopefully, nobody catches omicron in that crowd or else it will be closed for a few weeks.

Edited by EricTh

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, millymoopoo said:

Sorry for the late reply, not been around over the new year break.

Think we paid 20 bht.

Access to the locker keys does not entitle you to use the swimming pool.

There is a separate charge for the swimming pool printed at the counter just before the swimming pool. Thai citizens have to pay 55 baht to use the pool , foreigners much more.

You got lucky the lazy staff didn't catch you but they are stricter nowadays.

There is a separate charge for the swimming pool printed at the counter just before the swimming pool. Thai citizens have to pay 55 baht to use the pool , foreigners much more.

We certainly did get lucky - there was no counter, just a woman collecting locker fees.

Mind you it was a while back.

Sounds like it's just another place that see farangs as cash cows now.

14 minutes ago, millymoopoo said:

Sounds like it's just another place that see farangs as cash cows now.

It is just charging appropriate fees.  Farangs are larger, messier and dirtier so it is reasonable that they should be charged more.

• Sad 1

On 12/25/2021 at 11:49 AM, Sparkles said:

My Thai wife and I were there last Monday and surprised that there were quite a few visitors unlike a few months ago when the place was all but empty.

My wife handled the entry fees with my pink card which got a nod of approval. Total cost of entry ,use of pool and 2 freshly laundered towels in sealed plastic bags was 200 baht for both of us. I don't know the breakdown but for 90 minutes of enjoyment I didn't think that was expensive and no sign of any unpleasant staff, the opposite in fact.

Our own village pool has a 60 b entry fee and some charge 100 baht.

We then had lunch in the restaurant adjacent to the pool and total cost was around 300 baht with food and drinks.

All in all for 500 baht a very pleasant morning and the gardens are full of flowering plants/trees for photo ops.

We ended up taking the grandkid.  The Mrs armed with my pink card got me the Thai price (as a puu sung auyu I should be free but - racists gotta discriminate) and it was free for her 60+.  The kiddie got student pricing. 
Needless to say the place was hopping.  More people there than I've seen any time in the past.  I guess the "All masked up and nowhere to go" crowd found a place to go.  Pleasant trip with a stop at Wat Maeta Krai to see Buddhist Hell.  Lotsa fun!

IMG20211219140621.thumb.jpg.59486321693b9b98046de320e10e2f27.jpg