What's the deal with leases?

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

30 year leases (maximum term) is what I have heard of and it’s legit.  Has to be registered at the land office.  From what I understand, all the 30+30 etc. aren’t enforceable beyond the original 30 years.

Hmm, the stats say I probably have more than 30 years left, so I'd have to ponder that one. I was thinking 999 as is standard in the UK. Any idea what risks / liabilities the freeholder has, if any? Would need to understand that before asking someone to play that role.

Reminds me of 6 years ago when I did the visa runs to Vientiane with the van half full of Russian estate agents getting their STV. Playing the newbie they always offered me a house 100% in my name if I buy, or a 30+30+30 transferable lease. I think there could be a lot of people in for a shock in 25 years time.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, stratocaster said:

Reminds me of 6 years ago when I did the visa runs to Vientiane with the van half full of Russian estate agents getting their STV. Playing the newbie they always offered me a house 100% in my name if I buy, or a 30+30+30 transferable lease. I think there could be a lot of people in for a shock in 25 years time.

Reminds me of several exchange students who enjoyed Thailand and had come across a visa agent who told them:

- They qualify for PR after 5 years in Thailand.

- But the annual extensions of their visas must be done by that same agent for 5 years with the visa

holder not present.

- Application for PR must be prepared/lodge by the same visa agent, and it's normal for the approval to come 3 or 4 years later. 

- And renewals of the visa during that 3 or 4 years waiting time must be handled by that same agent with the visa holder not present.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, stratocaster said:

Not really. Just move to a different place. After thirty years in one place might be time for a change and a lot happens to the area, not always for the best

4 hours ago, Mayhem11 said:

End of lease, no longer your house.

Not in Thailand, according to khunper's link above. At least not if you have chosen to separate the two. What exactly happens when the lease has expired but the house is still yours, I have no idea. Presumably if you own the house, that at least means that no-one can knock it down or live in it without your permission, in which case the land isn't going to be very saleable and the freeholder's best option is likely to be to lease it to you for another 30 years... but you're still basically gambling. I feel like it's always that way with Thailand. There are lots of different bets you can make but nothing you can really rely on into the long term.

7 hours ago, Badger18 said:

Not in Thailand, according to khunper's link above. At least not if you have chosen to separate the two. What exactly happens when the lease has expired but the house is still yours, I have no idea. Presumably if you own the house, that at least means that no-one can knock it down or live in it without your permission, in which case the land isn't going to be very saleable and the freeholder's best option is likely to be to lease it to you for another 30 years... but you're still basically gambling. I feel like it's always that way with Thailand. There are lots of different bets you can make but nothing you can really rely on into the long term.

I think these leases usually state that the land has to be returned in the same condition as it was.

In any case it would be the same as you leaving something on somebody else's property (not different to a car which you park on somebody else's property) and refuse to remove it, the owner would have it removed and demand that you pay the bill.