General anxiety medicine, help please.

dagling

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Yes, it is illegal for drug stores to sell valium.  

Buriram has a mental hospital, is that where you live?

Oh, I see you are trying to extend your 30 day visa ???? 

You gave terrible advice regarding going to a general Thai hospital, I am Thai, trust me. 

A stalker and a comedian ????

You must have missed the part where I said "Are you saying that no Thai pharmacies sell valium? You must be very naive if you believe that."

I wasn't questioning the legality of said transaction. Lovely talking to you Mr know-it-all see you next Tuesday.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ohphuket said:

You must have missed the part where I said "Are you saying that no Thai pharmacies sell valium? You must be very naive if you believe that."

I wasn't questioning the legality of said transaction. Lovely talking to you Mr know-it-all see you next Tuesday.

I am not arguing about Thai related things with a tourist troll.  Welcome to ignore, that didn't take long! 

13 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The OP should consult a real doctor at a real medical institution. Otherwise The OP is effectively trying to acquire controlled drugs in an illegal manner. Anti anxiety drugs are commonly abused for recreational drug abuse purposes.

No, the forum know-it-all says that going to a doctor is a waste of time. He can only go to a mental institute - not a government one!!! - and speak to the most expensive psychiatrist in all of Thailand, who will solemnly listen to him for 5 minutes before handing over a bottle of Xanax and charging 100,000 baht.

Edited by Ohphuket

39 minutes ago, Ohphuket said:

100,000 baht

I must have got lucky. My private shrink I started with 5 years ago, very talented, warm hearted woman, only charged me around 1500 Baht per session, including medications. She's moved on now, I think she practices in Chiang Mai.

Thereafter, four months worth of pills only cost me ~1200 Baht with each repeat prescription, including consultation. This is a well known private hospital up here, but it is also my social security hospital. I don't use my SS for the shrink, I pay privately.

Finding a good doctor is hard here, but when you do, hold into them. They're not always in the most expensive places, but rarely at government hospitals. YMMV. Unfortunately though, you're a troll.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

1 minute ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I must have got lucky. My private shrink I started with 5 years ago, very talented, warm hearted woman, only charged me around 1500 Baht per session, including medications. She's moved on now, I think she practices in Chiang Mai.

Thereafter, four months worth of pills only cost me ~1200 Baht with each repeat prescription. This is a well know private hospital up here, but it is also my social security hospital. I don't use my SS for the shrink, I pay privately.

Finding a good doctor is hard here, but when you do, hold into them.

You did well. My first consultation at a (nice) private hospital was 8,000 including meds, and 3,000 a month for the meds after that. The actual cost of the meds was more like 300 baht a month.

Not that expensive compared to the West, plus the decor in the hospital was spectacularly nice ????

4 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Thereafter, four months worth of pills only cost me ~1200 Baht with each repeat prescription. This is a well know private hospital up here, but it is also my social security hospital. I don't use my SS for the shrink, I pay privately.

Finding a good doctor is hard here, but when you do, hold into them. They're not always in the most expensive places, but rarely at government hospitals. YMMV.

Not a bad price if she is good. I have a friend(Psychologist) who charges 3000 baht an hour.

You can go to a local govt Psychiatric hospital and although you have to wait about an hour or so, only pay around 2-300 baht for consultation and medication. 

Maybe an idea to get your medicine from a public hospital, if you don't mind sitting in a queue with colourful characters! 

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The OP should consult a real doctor at a real medical institution. Otherwise The OP is effectively trying to acquire controlled drugs in an illegal manner. Anti anxiety drugs are commonly abused for recreational drug abuse purposes.

I think you worry too much about drugs. If you drink alcohol then id find that hypocritical. Because a certain percentage of people who drink alcohol become alcoholics. But most alcohol consumers never worry about that. Yet all other drugs are in their eyes dangerous. 

Point being some people get addicted to stuff while others don't, I have used xanax to sleep. It worked (for a few days) after that it just does not work for me. So not everyone gets addicted to it i know of quite a few people who use it and I don't know any of them who are addicted. Now that does not mean it does not happen as it certainly does. But again its the same with all drugs, some people are predisposed and some are not.

Now your advice of going to a hospital is a good one that is of course the firs step. Medical marihuana might be an option too. There is nothing better for me to make me sleep. Too bad it messes with my diet too much for it to be a solution. 

If you have ever struggled with sleeping problems then you will know that at some point your willing to try anything. You do know that sleep deprivation is a serious problem and can totally destroy someone. I got sleep problems and it sucks, but i found ways to combat it and its getting better.

Exercise might help, but I have had lots of sleeping problems even when working out loads of times a week. There is no one single cure. So like you said hospital is best, but your aversion of drugs is a bit too much for me. Unless of course your don't drink otherwise its just a case of demonizing other drugs will thinking yours is safe (and it is for most people, just like with other drugs)

Xanax can certainly be part of a solution depending on the user. For a small group it is indeed like you say. But let a doctor figure that out with him. 

14 minutes ago, robblok said:

I think you worry too much about drugs. If you drink alcohol then id find that hypocritical. Because a certain percentage of people who drink alcohol become alcoholics. But most alcohol consumers never worry about that. Yet all other drugs are in their eyes dangerous. 

Point being some people get addicted to stuff while others don't, I have used xanax to sleep. It worked (for a few days) after that it just does not work for me. So not everyone gets addicted to it i know of quite a few people who use it and I don't know any of them who are addicted. Now that does not mean it does not happen as it certainly does. But again its the same with all drugs, some people are predisposed and some are not.

Now your advice of going to a hospital is a good one that is of course the firs step. Medical marihuana might be an option too. There is nothing better for me to make me sleep. Too bad it messes with my diet too much for it to be a solution. 

If you have ever struggled with sleeping problems then you will know that at some point your willing to try anything. You do know that sleep deprivation is a serious problem and can totally destroy someone. I got sleep problems and it sucks, but i found ways to combat it and its getting better.

Exercise might help, but I have had lots of sleeping problems even when working out loads of times a week. There is no one single cure. So like you said hospital is best, but your aversion of drugs is a bit too much for me. Unless of course your don't drink otherwise its just a case of demonizing other drugs will thinking yours is safe (and it is for most people, just like with other drugs)

Xanax can certainly be part of a solution depending on the user. For a small group it is indeed like you say. But let a doctor figure that out with him. 

Xanax did not help me sleep unless taken with a large glass of red wine. It's a sweet hit. Nice! As is Valium with booze. Love it!!! Best of all was Mandrax...better than Seconal or Tuinal..But let's not kid ourselves. These are great fun drugs. If the OP wasn't after recreational fun he would be looking for Fluxotine or similar SUIs..which offer no fun..

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Pregablin (Lyrica) does the trick for me

It's the next best thing to xanax/valium and can be bought over the counter at decent pharmacies, it might be a controlled drug soon if they follow western countries though

250 baht for 14 pills / 150 baht for 10 pills seems to be the going rate

If you want unbiased reviews of drugs I highly recommended drugs.com

https://www.drugs.com/condition/generalized-anxiety-disorder.html?sort=rating&order=desc&page_number=1&page_size=25&category_id=0&include_rx=1&include_otc=1&show_off_label=1&only_generics=0&page_all=0&submitted=0&hide_off_label=0#sortby

I've never found doctors in Thailand helpful for mental health problems, and often left out of pocket. The government ones are good for giving cheap scripts of controlled drugs if you don't mind the wait, but they won't help you fix the problem

Yes exercise is the best cure, but sometimes need medicine to get out of the initial 'hole'

If you go the doctor you'll only get prescribed the drugs you may already know about...

Benzodiazepines - a short prescription, they seem to be using lorazepam these days, but could easily be diazepam, alprazolam (valium, xanax), these are the best drug but also the worst to come off it addicted, and it's quite easy to obtain these drugs once you do become addicted.

These drugs aren't often covered by health insurance and likely be charged 10x the price of a pill compared to a government hospital (though I did find one cheap private hospital in Surin used by Cambodians)

Antidepressants - probably an SSRI/SSNI, or an older style tricyclic antidepressant like Nortriptyline. I don't know much about these drugs, and never found them useful, but some of these can be bought over the counter, saving you a lot of money. 

Beta blockers like propranolol, gets rid of the physical anxiety symptoms like shakes, can be bought in the pharmacy for 20 baht.

www.medtide.com seems to have everything non-controlled, very helpful if you can't find a pharmacy selling what you want, and roughly the same price as pharmacies (from what i've searched for up to now). You have to register for the search engine to work..

9 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Xanax did not help me sleep unless taken with a large glass of red wine. It's a sweet hit. Nice! As is Valium with booze. Love it!!! Best of all was Mandrax...better than Seconal or Tuinal..But let's not kid ourselves. These are great fun drugs. If the OP wasn't after recreational fun he would be looking for Fluxotine or similar SUIs..which offer no fun..

I never ever enjoyed Xanax with booze, but then again I don't or seldom drink. Recently tried to drink again at a party. I did not get past two beers as i just hated the taste (i drink to get tipsy or semi drunk not for the taste). Same goes for other booze. I did drink Jeffe and Hoegaarden as they supposedly taste better then Thai beer So no high from xanax and booze as i never combine and wont. But your a guy that has no problem drinking illegal  alcohol in the desert (sorry just now came across that topic) but seem to worry about some Xanax. Bit bias in my opinion doing everything you can to get one drug while condemning an other. 

But perhaps because you combine it with alcohol you have that experience. I seriously only took it for sleeping and hated the brain fog in the morning. By far the best to sleep for me was weed, but the  havoc that played on my diet (not everyone has that problem) was too much for me to handle. 

Now on my 3rd day of using dream juice (something i imported from the Netherlands) and day 3 the effects are lessening. Same happened with Xanax for me it only helps for a few days then my body rejects it or i need more. So I dont use either of them often.

I eat healthy workout enough and serious can't think of any stress I have but i still have problems sleeping.. or more accurate waking up during my sleep. Falling asleep is not the problem staying asleep is. Its been a problem for years and years. Sometimes its worse then other times. Been to doctors havent been able to find a cure, so its something i have to live with.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

I never ever enjoyed Xanax with booze, but then again I don't or seldom drink. Recently tried to drink again at a party. I did not get past two beers as i just hated the taste (i drink to get tipsy or semi drunk not for the taste). Same goes for other booze. I did drink Jeffe and Hoegaarden as they supposedly taste better then Thai beer So no high from xanax and booze as i never combine and wont. But your a guy that has no problem drinking illegal  alcohol in the desert (sorry just now came across that topic) but seem to worry about some Xanax. Bit bias in my opinion doing everything you can to get one drug while condemning an other. 

But perhaps because you combine it with alcohol you have that experience. I seriously only took it for sleeping and hated the brain fog in the morning. By far the best to sleep for me was weed, but the  havoc that played on my diet (not everyone has that problem) was too much for me to handle. 

Now on my 3rd day of using dream juice (something i imported from the Netherlands) and day 3 the effects are lessening. Same happened with Xanax for me it only helps for a few days then my body rejects it or i need more. So I dont use either of them often.

I eat healthy workout enough and serious can't think of any stress I have but i still have problems sleeping.. or more accurate waking up during my sleep. Falling asleep is not the problem staying asleep is. Its been a problem for years and years. Sometimes its worse then other times. Been to doctors havent been able to find a cure, so its something i have to live with.

I don't worry about Xanax addiction I just know about it. Big Pharma have been pushin addictive drugs for years. That is a concern for me and should be for everyone. The Sacklers, HLR, Bayer et al have been marketing addiction to the innocent and gullible for a century. I'm not gullible or innocent. The OP is looking for 'fun' drugs easy to abuse. He's not looking for Serotonin Uptake Inhibitors. I know the difference. Do you?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ohphuket said:

Calm down!

4 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Xanax is the chosen drug of choice for the hip hop scene. That sums it up.

And alcohol of an other group, anyway I have no idea what the OP is looking for. I just know that if you got a real problem like I have with sleeping at some point you try anything. Unlike you i never used it as a party drug. If I want to do drugs there are far more fun alternatives then Xanax. 

8 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I don't worry about Xanax addiction I just know about it. Big Pharma have been pushin addictive drugs for years. That is a concern for me and should be for everyone. The Sacklers, HLR, Bayer et al have been marketing addiction to the innocent and gullible for a century. I'm not gullible or innocent. The OP is looking for 'fun' drugs easy to abuse. He's not looking for Serotonin Uptake Inhibitors. I know the difference. Do you?

To be honest, i don't have been looking at it and both are used for the same thing. But I am no expert so I have no clue what the difference is. Presumably the high with alcohol you describe. 

14 hours ago, Ohphuket said:

Well yes, that's what you'd expect. Most of the doctors I've seen at the government hospital were relatively young, no doubt seniority is a factor when applying for private hospital jobs.

I stand by my statement that any doctor can prescribe Xanax (as an example), though, and the low cost and convenience of government hospitals mean that in the worst case scenario, you've wasted 1000 baht and a couple of hours of your time.

For somebody suffering from acute anxiety, he may be more likely to go through with a cheap and straightforward course of action (government hospital) than a more expensive and complicated course of action (tens of thousands of baht, appointments with psychiatrists etc).

If he has plenty of money, absolutely an expensive private hospital would be my recommendation. I was just presenting an alternative.

There are senior doctors at all Thai government hospitals. But they are in a supervisory capacity. Going through the regular public channel you might not even see them or  if you do it will be fleeting, most interaction will be with interns and residents in training, sometimes even medical students.

However most government hospitals have some sort of after hours clinic where, for a few hundred baht more, you can directly access the senior doctors. It is highly recommended to use this channel when availing of government hospitals.

Regarding psych problems there are dedicated government psych hospitals in some provinces and these would be the best source. However if living in an upcountry province far from any government psych hospital, then a government regional hospital will likely have 1-2 psychiatrists on staff.

On 12/23/2021 at 5:29 AM, cyril sneer said:

Pregablin (Lyrica) does the trick for me

It's the next best thing to xanax/valium and can be bought over the counter at decent pharmacies, it might be a controlled drug soon if they follow western countries though

250 baht for 14 pills / 150 baht for 10 pills seems to be the going rate

Pregabalin is kind of the poor man's benzo, but it's dangerous stuff if you take it on a regular basis. Tolerance is achieved very quickly and you can find yourself taking more and more of it. After a week, 600 mg was doing nothing for me. And the withdrawal is pretty awful. I can see why it's a controlled substance in most countries. If you take it with alcohol you'll get some major CNS depression; take enough and you might stop breathing altogether. It may be pleasantly numbing at first, but I really wouldn't recommend it.

As far as the price goes, the cheapest I found was the Sandoz at about 35 baht per capsule for the 150 mg.

Paul Laew

1 hour ago, Paulaew said:

Pregabalin is kind of the poor man's benzo, but it's dangerous stuff if you take it on a regular basis. Tolerance is achieved very quickly and you can find yourself taking more and more of it. After a week, 600 mg was doing nothing for me. And the withdrawal is pretty awful. I can see why it's a controlled substance in most countries. If you take it with alcohol you'll get some major CNS depression; take enough and you might stop breathing altogether. It may be pleasantly numbing at first, but I really wouldn't recommend it.

As far as the price goes, the cheapest I found was the Sandoz at about 35 baht per capsule for the 150 mg.

Paul Laew

thanks for the info, wasnt aware of mixing with alcohol

• 6 months later...

I was prescribed a tricyclic anti-depressant for many years. My mind had the same level of activity as the OP describes. I got off them 3 or 4 years ago.

Sleep deprivation is a classic technique of Communist regimes, which in turn leads to constant anxiety.

Alcohol is a depressant, the OP should stay away from it. Take a look at what you are eating, there is sugar in damn near every packaged or manufactured food.

I sleep when I want to. An afternoon nap is fine, if I get up at 3 or 4 am because I am tired of trying to sleep I don't stress about it. I take a Codiphen ( drowsy antihistamine ) once a week for a full night's sleep. Sex is good for sleep.

Eating late at night should be avoided. I allow at least three hours between finishing dinner and going to bed.

My mindset when I am trying to sleep is to avoid thinking about problems, and instead think about pleasant fantasies.

IMO the OP needs to take stock. The Ancient Greeks had an aphorism for it, gnothi seathon

( Know yourself ) . To me, it means maximizing my physical and mental assets, and minimizing liabilities. The Romans had another aphorism, mens sana in corpore sano

( a healthy mind in a healthy body ). Start by improving physical health with exercise, the mind will follow.

There is almost always a pill for what ails us. Increasingly, I am finding taking responsibility for my own health with natural methods works better for me.

On 12/20/2021 at 11:34 PM, dagling said:

Thank you very much for an honest and comprehensive answer, yes I have to contact a psychiatrist / doctor at eg Bangkok Hospital.
Will gladly accept more answers to hear their experiences.

i take 50 mgs prenolol no prescription needed from most chemists