General anxiety medicine, help please.

dagling

Can you buy this at a pharmacy in Thailand without a prescription?
I need help finding a good / recommended medicine with the least possibility of addiction. I realize that is almost impossible to ask for, but I can no longer manage this life, I do not function normally.

Is exhausted and almost constantly tired, constantly tense and eases dizziness.
I also lie for hours (up to 6-7 sometimes) before I get to sleep, a thousand thoughts an hour rage through my head, unable to just close my eyes and relax, find peace to fall asleep.

Have talked to psychiatrists about this problem several times, but it's just about my childhood, growing up blah blah ...
Have told that I do not know what I'm thinking, I can not find any specific problem to talk about.
Ok, I did not have it so easy growing up / youth when my parents divorced when I was 7 years old.

I have dignosis general anxiety, have checked all symptoms even on Google and I can cross off 80% of them, so I trust the diagnosis.

So can anyone help me and lead me in the right direction?

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Go to a decent private hospital. Immediately. Talk to a doctor about trying Alprazolam (AKA Xanax, short acting Benzo). It'll help you get your sleep in order in the short term.

FWIW I am also medically diagnosed with GAD (not my own diagnosis) and suffer severe panic attacks, also related to childhood trauma. I went through this most of my adult life without seeking help but I have this under control now with very good psychiatric help that I've had in Thailand, and the support of my wife and children. Alprazolam has been highly effective, I now only take it in very small doses occasionally, a couple of times a week to help me sleep or for emergencies. I am a chronic insomniac, my problem is sleep initiation, but once asleep I have no problem staying asleep. Your problem may not be the same, but in my case, immediate release, short acting GABA medication is extremely effective. Taken with caution, and occasionally, it will not lead to addiction.

I take it in such low doses now, my doctor has moved me onto occasional Zolpidem, just for sleep initiation as needed, but I keep an emergency dose of Alprazolam in my wallet, just in case. I find that reassuring.

DO NOT self medicate. See a doctor. Get your sleep patterns in order, stay off the alcohol for a few weeks. Things will get better. Good luck to you, friend.

Thank you very much for an honest and comprehensive answer, yes I have to contact a psychiatrist / doctor at eg Bangkok Hospital.
Will gladly accept more answers to hear their experiences.

I have slight anxiety on occasion. I take one natural St John's Wort tablet from the vitamin store... it seems to ease the shivers in a few hours... I may only take 1 pill every couple of months but it does take that edge off... and I think it helps w/sleep too though I don't take it for that.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Drdrum22 said:

Did you try kratom ? I started using it to lower my high coffee intake to stay awake, and it's got me surprisingly calm and peaceful. I'm stressful but not anxious, maybe you should give it a try ?

No I have not. Is it legal and where can it be bought?

7 hours ago, dagling said:

No I have not. Is it legal and where can it be bought?

It's legal since this summer. I bought it from shopee at first then found a local seller at a market. I tried every way, powder, tea from fresh leaves, and chewing fresh leaves. To me chewing is the best way to control the dosage and avoid me being nauseous. Never take kratom before eat and avoid taking it at least 5h before the bedtime

12 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I had a bout of panic attacks, anxiety and depression just recently and posted for help on here, same as you. I preferred to try something other than conventional, and possibly addictive medication.  Someone (many thanks) recommended trying the Wim Hof breathing technique as a means of helping my symptoms, and so far it seems to be working. I haven't had any further feelings of panic, anxiety or depression since I started practicing Wim Hof about 6 weeks ago. Information and tutorials on YouTube. Worth a try.

Good to hear you are felling better. 

The techniques look good. Replicating somewhat the effects a healthy and active person will experience.

Cycling, jogging, swimming etc. Forcing you to breathe and relax and producing the chemicals missing in your brain.

It's what I tried to tell you before; but of course I am active, so perhaps my suggestions seemed somewhat daunting. The Wim Hof exercises seem ideal for the older less mobile person(I hope you don't mind me describing you as such).

Keep it up ????

20 hours ago, bamboozled said:

I might sound like a broken record as I've passed it on before: the book, "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle really helped me out. It's available in Thailand in English. If I'm feeling anxious, I have found just opening that book to almost any page and reading a bit....it is very calming and reassuring.

Also, Vipassana meditation. If you are in Bkk or CM I'm sure you can find some groups that are having get-togethers for meditating. I'm sure they could discuss it with you.

The book and the Vipassana are along similar veins the idea being that we create the stress by out minds running off into the past and the future instead of in the present. We have become so accustomed to it that we don't even realize it anymore.

You certainly are not alone. I think the majority of folks feel similarly, to differing degrees, and with different levels of awareness. Good that you've decided to pursue some course of action.

I just Googled Vipassana Meditation as I had no idea what it was.

Now I know....a load of cobblers.  Sitting thinking about your problems never cured anything. And the site I read says it take a couple of years to get yourself sortrd.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, connda said:

Exercise.  No prescription needed.

Seconding this. Make sure you have all the other basic stuff checked - routine, good diet, a friend or 2 with above room temperature IQ, productive pursuits, etc.

Also, as per forum rules I can't suggest anything illegal but it might be a very very good idea to read up on pot edibles. Changed my life in a way that most people can't appreciate unless they've experienced 15 years of lying in bed for hours every night with a million useless racing thoughts. Now it takes 15 minutes to catch those sweet sweet zzzs. During the day I'm focused and mellow, Thai shenanigans don't matter so much anymore. No withdrawals even if going cold turkey after many months of daily use. Maybe a hospital here can prescribe you with oil drops? Anxiety and insomnia are 2 conditions they can prescribe them for. If not, most Thais are capable of finding some provider on Twitter/Instagram for you. Good luck.

23 hours ago, dagling said:

Will gladly accept more answers to hear their experiences.

I'd like to say something about some of the subsequent comments. Some of them may be useful to you, some of them I feel are not. However, I'd like to state that the reason I responded so quickly to your post is that reading between the lines, I think you need to get yourself sat in front of someone. I've been through it mate. Once you walk through the door and say to that person "I need help", the hardest part is behind you.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, davidst01 said:

I agree with this comment. I dont sleep well at all. Recently someone asked me to join in on indoor soccer to help the team out. I was running around for 20min and it almost killed me. I was so exhausted. I slept from 9pm to 8am solid. The best sleep I've ever had. 

So my advice is get off your butt and do some exercise. Wear out your body/ brain EVERYDAY.... Do not take meds....     Do not take midday naps or anything. Stay up all day and go to bed the same time. 

Good luck

Yes exercise is very good, endorphins and all that. If someone can't sleep stimulants should be reduced also, coffee tea. I sleep fine but recently been drinking more tea and a slight effect on sleeping

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I just Googled Vipassana Meditation as I had no idea what it was.

Now I know....a load of cobblers.  Sitting thinking about your problems never cured anything. And the site I read says it take a couple of years to get yourself sortrd.

Vipassana meditation does not remotely involve "sitting around thinking about your problems".

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Vipassana meditation does not remotely involve "sitting around thinking about your problems".

Sorry I read another website about it. It is sitting comfortably, breathing in and out, and thinking about things.   LOL

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

Sorry I read another website about it. It is sitting comfortably, breathing in and out, and thinking about things.   LOL

No, it is not.

I have practiced it for three decades. 

Most emphatically it is not "thinking about things". 

It is also not intended to be a treatment for serious psychological disorders.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

No, it is not.

I have practiced it for three decades. 

Most emphatically it is not "thinking about things". 

It is also not intended to be a treatment for serious psychological disorders.

I tried Transcendental Meditation for a while back in the 90s, got my Mantra and paid 500 quid to the Maharishi. It was the same basic thing, breathe deeply concentrating on the abdomen, sit quietly and concentrate on your body and mind. Did nothing for me. I can sit just the same, listening to quiet music and drift off easily. Sorry.

Edited by KannikaP

There are proven studies on the effects of meditation that it can reduce anxiety, chronic pain, depression, heart disease and high blood pressure. Meditation for me is not something you can put a goal or length of time to fully learn .Thats why it is an on going practice.

Practicing meditation is letting your thoughts pass by and not focusing too much on them. After a while you will notice your thoughts slowing and you will feel like they're longer gaps between your thoughts. Once you experience how much peace and calmness you can receive by just witnessing your thoughts and nature surrounding you. It is like listening to soothing music and the gaps in your thoughts are like the short pauses between the notes in music . Music would not be music without the gaps between the notes.

The few masters of meditation who reach nirvana are here to guide us to only be able to see a glimpse of truth. We have to find our own path.

Meditation  is  a  very  simple  process:  all  that  you  need  to  know  is  the  right  button.  The Upanishads  call  it'witnessing'  --  the  right  button.  Just  witness  your  mind  process,  don't  do anything  at  all.  Nothing  needs  to  be  done,  just  be  a  witness,  an  observer,  a  watcher, looking  at  the  traffic  of  the  mind  --  thoughts  passing  by,  desires,  memories,  dreams, fantasies.  Simply  stand  aloof,  cool    --  watching  it,  seeing  it,  with  no  judgment,  with  no condemnation,  neither  saying,  "This  is  good,"  nor  saying,  "This  is  bad."  Don't  bring  your moral  concepts  in,  otherwise  you  will  never  be  able  to  meditate. That's  why  I  am  against  the  so-called  morality:  it  is  anti-meditation,  because  a  so-called moral  person  is  so  full  of  his  moral  ideas,  shoulds  and  should-nots,  that  he  cannot  watch, he  cannot  simply  watch.  He  jumps  to  conclusions:  "This  is  not  right  and  this  is  right." And  whatsoever  he  feels  is  right,  he  wants  to  cling  to  it;  and  whatsoever  he  thinks  is wrong,  he  wants  to  throw  it  out.  He  jumps  among  the  thoughts,  starts  fighting,  grabbing, and  that's  where  he  loses  all  witnessing. Witnessing  simply  means  a  detached  observation,  unprejudiced;  that's  the  whole  secret  of meditation.  It  is  simple!  Once  you  have  known  the  knack  of  it  it  is  the  most  simple  thing in  the  world,  because  each  child  is  born  in  that  innocence.  You  have  known  it  in  your mother's  womb,  you  have  known  it  when  you  were  a  small  child,  so  it  is  only  a rediscovery.  Meditation  is  not  something  NEW;  you  had  come  with  it  into  the  world. MIND IS  something  new;  meditation  is  your  nature,  it  is  your  very  being.  How  can  it  be difficult?  You  just  have  to  know  the  knack:  watch. Sit  by  the  side  of  a  river  and  watch  the  river  flowing.  Yes,  sometimes  driftwood  passes  by and  sometimes  a  boat  comes  and  sometimes  a  dead  body  and  sometimes  a  beautiful woman  may be  swimming  in  the  river  --  you  simply  watch,  you  don't  get  bothered,  you remain  cool,  you  don't  get  excited.  You  are  not  supposed  to  do  anything,  you  have nothing  to  do.  It  is  the  river  and  it  is  the  river's  business.  You  simply  sit  silently.  Sitting silently,  slowly  slowly  the  art  is  learnt...  and  one  day,  the  moment  your  watchfulness  is total,  the  mind  evaporates.

Osho

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 10:42 PM, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Go to a decent private hospital. Immediately. Talk to a doctor about trying Alprazolam (AKA Xanax, short acting Benzo). It'll help you get your sleep in order in the short term.

FWIW I am also medically diagnosed with GAD (not my own diagnosis) and suffer severe panic attacks, also related to childhood trauma. I went through this most of my adult life without seeking help but I have this under control now with very good psychiatric help that I've had in Thailand, and the support of my wife and children. Alprazolam has been highly effective, I now only take it in very small doses occasionally, a couple of times a week to help me sleep or for emergencies. I am a chronic insomniac, my problem is sleep initiation, but once asleep I have no problem staying asleep. Your problem may not be the same, but in my case, immediate release, short acting GABA medication is extremely effective. Taken with caution, and occasionally, it will not lead to addiction.

I take it in such low doses now, my doctor has moved me onto occasional Zolpidem, just for sleep initiation as needed, but I keep an emergency dose of Alprazolam in my wallet, just in case. I find that reassuring.

DO NOT self medicate. See a doctor. Get your sleep patterns in order, stay off the alcohol for a few weeks. Things will get better. Good luck to you, friend.

Xanax is addictive and soul destroying

• Like 1

Perhaps you could try Propanolol and a basic antidepressant like Escitalopram? That's what I was getting from my GP in the UK. And please try not to be affected by the 'Just pull yourself together, you little poofter' brigade.

But a word of warning - you do need to come off antidepressants slowly. Propanolol is taken as and when.

https://www.theindependentpharmacy.co.uk/anxiety/guides/propranolol-guide