New electric vehicle charging station opens at Market Village Hua Hin

webfact

21 hours ago, n8sail said:

How long is a piece of string?  ????

That all depends on the cooling of the battery pack in your car, and how large is the battery pack in your car.   If you asked "How long does an MG EP or Porsche Taycan etc. take to charge", that would be a sensible question.

Very few cars in Thailand can use a full 125kw/hr fast DC charge.   Mine can only do 80kw/hour.   My pack is 50.2kw (if 100% empty), so takes about 40 minutes from 0% to ~90%.   Above 90% they slow down, as to all Lithium Ion chemistry batteries when charging.

I used an Elex charger at a fuel station near Cha-am just 3 weeks ago on my way back to Jomtien from Pranburi.   Went from 17% to 95% in about 45 minutes.  Had dinner and a pee, was bored for about the last 10 minutes so did some work emails.  Very expensive at THB380...   I did the entire 800km round trip (and local driving) for less than 500 baht.   These chargers are 7.5 baht per kw, very expensive.   Right down the road is a PEA charger, 40kw fast charge (so half of what my car can do), but it's only 4.5 baht per kw.

Thank you.  Would you tell me which car you drive.  How far can you drive with your pack going from 95% to 5% (do you take it down lower?)?  Does it depend on driving conditions, town versus open roads, like a combustion engine?

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

I will stick with my petrol car ,5 mins at most to top up and no worries that i wont find a petrol station when running low.

Unless you're out & about, then you simply top up at home.  No problem finding when out & about, as more than enough charging stations.  Just takes a bit more planning, all of 5 minutes.  No different than planning your days drive with ICE, and knowing where & when you might top up.

I can go, or going this far, what's in the area ?  Wow, that was tough.  If you have your EV, guessing you already have the apps of vendors, and know where most stations are.  Same as using any other app.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 9:09 AM, thaibook said:

Thank you.  Would you tell me which car you drive.  How far can you drive with your pack going from 95% to 5% (do you take it down lower?)?  Does it depend on driving conditions, town versus open roads, like a combustion engine?

MG EP, purchased new in May 2021. I drive a lot, 17,000km on the clock already, so lots of experience.

It all depends on speeds.   60-90kph seems to be the sweet spot.   Traffic stop and go does not seem to affect range much as long as you don't hammer it off the line (which in BKK or similar traffic you can never do anyways).

I've never had it below 17% before.  But I have gone 100% to 17% and made it 250km.   Girlfriend was driving and holding 110-120kph on the BKK motorways, so pushing it pretty hard.  The 'Guess-o-meter' range tool showed another 40+km range available.

Stated range on the car is 380km.   I think no chance you'd ever get near that, I think carefully driven with only one person in the car maybe 320-330km.

Interestingly, running Air Conditioning does almost nothing to the range.  The Compressor is very large sized, but can run at slower speeds when it does not need to cool the battery pack, so only draw 500-600 watts on low setting near as I can tell.    Heat is not available in the car, but I think that would use far more power as most testers in the UK that have the same car (Called the MG5 Estate there) say in reviews online.

• Thanks 1