The power of social media! Embarrassed officials react instantly to "Stairway to Heaven" 

webfact

Why is it that Thai people are unable to take criticism ? 

Even worse when coming from a Caucasian.

Thai or foreigner can  see the ridiculous result from contracting out a bridge to be built with power lines not yet relocated that are  in the way of a new construction .

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think they did a great job and congratulations for thinking outside of the box.

And I mean it. Because think about what would have happened if they would not have finished the job. I guess then the contractor would not get paid for building that stairway and the workers would probably be out of work and also not get paid.

And if the cable guys had to wait for next years budget then what should have happened?

What they did is win/win. Not perfect and obviously it has to be improved. But I wish more people would think out of the box like these guys.

Put people  in a box walking next to the exposed powerlines . 

40 minutes ago, itsari said:

I read the article .

Move the lines first . No money to move then wait with the bridge . Simple

I understand that.

But I am not one of those workers who needs their job and payment everyday.

Imagine you would be a worker and you would want to take your salary home. And imagine there is something that prevents you from doing your job properly. You could wait maybe two months and don't work in that time and don't get paid in that time. Or you use your imagination and "finish" the job and work and get paid.

What would you do?

Obviously what they did is not the way it should be. And I am pretty sure they thought about not continuing with their work. And then they probably thought about not getting paid. And they they had this idea how they could continue and get paid. I understand why they did what they did.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I understand that.

But I am not one of those workers who needs their job and payment everyday.

Imagine you would be a worker and you would want to take your salary home. And imagine there is something that prevents you from doing your job properly. You could wait maybe two months and don't work in that time and don't get paid in that time. Or you use your imagination and "finish" the job and work and get paid.

What would you do?

Obviously what they did is not the way it should be. And I am pretty sure they thought about not continuing with their work. And then they probably thought about not getting paid. And they they had this idea how they could continue and get paid. I understand why they did what they did.

If i was the contractor i would not start with the work until the work area was ready . I am sure that contractor has many jobs to get on with in a location that is ready .

The and his employees  that have the skills to build the bridge will be gainfully employed where ever . 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The moving of the pole was not their job - that's the responsibility of the Royal Navy's electrical department who were waiting on 2022 budgets to complete the job.

The building of this bridge is necessary due to the massive road-widening project between Pattaya and Sattahip (u-tapao airport and beyond). I would have thought the budget for the project would include moving electricity poles, rather than waiting for the RTN to find the cash.

The poles along the NaJomtien and Bang Saray sections were moved back more than a year ago.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think they did a great job and congratulations for thinking outside of the box.

And I mean it. Because think about what would have happened if they would not have finished the job. I guess then the contractor would not get paid for building that stairway and the workers would probably be out of work and also not get paid.

And if the cable guys had to wait for next years budget then what should have happened?

What they did is win/win. Not perfect and obviously it has to be improved. But I wish more people would think out of the box like these guys.

Thinking outside of the box, I would have built the stairway on the other side of the pillar and avoided the wires altogether.

This seems to be standard practice in Thailand, as when roads are built or widened the power poles are left in place until the road is finished, then moved months later. Planning/building permission  should not be given until such are moved, The problem lays with the local govt. for not going to the site BEFORE building permission and just granting permission on paper with no pre-inspection on site. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did you read the article?

It's a temporary solution before those lines are redirected.

And you believe that excuse, there was just no forward planning. Its not as if this project materialized all of a sudden. Plus without social media this would not be exposed. 

Its just crappy planning and now coming up with an excuse. What you really mean to say if the contractor had not completed it no brown enveloppes could have been exchanged. 

Nobody should have signed off on this.

Though i do agree that its better to have a unsafe pedestrian bridge then having to cross the road. But that does not excuse the poor planning. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

What you really mean to say

Why do you pretend you know what I really mean to say?

I wrote what I wrote because I mean it.

And I wrote I understand why the did it. I didn't write that it is the way it should be done because it isn't. 

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why do you pretend you know what I really mean to say?

I wrote what I wrote because I mean it.

And I wrote I understand why the did it. I didn't write that it is the way it should be done because it isn't. 

Surprised that you really mean it. Seriously they plan something wrong and you think its a good thing because its better then nothing. Sure that is one point of view (that i partly agree with).

But basically its <deleted> poor planning and the reason its accepted this way is because the kickbacks. No other reason.