Why bury?

1FinickyOne

I'm involved with a very large land deal, nearly 1000 Rai, the land used for one of these Chinese cemeteries that are popping up all over Thailand. It was kind of funny, the locals voting on whether they wanted lots of Chinese bones as neighbors, what with Thais being so superstitious, but I can tell you for sure, that money talks all that away. . . but the point is, it is indeed a spectacular waste of land, and they weren't even Thai citizens. Kind of funny in a way.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Denim said:

Why waste energy cremating somebody ?   Burial returns nutrients to the earth .

Of course ,  the person to be buried should ideally have bought the farm and not still in the land of the living. ????

My father was buried. All other relatives up the flume.

Those of us who survive him visit his grave if we are in the area and reflect on the many good things he did for us all.

For the others , nothing to go see.  No connection.

Well, it depends.

My parents cremains are in Arlington National cemetery on a shelf and there is lots to see there. But I wouldn't make a special trip to see a shelf or a grave.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Why do you need a grave to remember someone? I remember friends and family everyday through favourite walks, places, foods, music, films and a thousand and one other things that prompt a memory. 

I spend a lot of time curating our family photos. I consider them to be very important. As I say to my kids, when we're gone, mum and dad will in your memory and in your heart.

• Like 1

Ossury cemeteries are ingenious IMHO. No ground contamination and zero energy used. When the rent on the compartment runs out the bones are placed in the storeroom in a numbered wooden box smaller than the original coffin thus saving space and allowing for new 'burials'.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well, it depends.

My parents cremains are in Arlington National cemetery on a shelf and there is lots to see there. But I wouldn't make a special trip to see a shelf or a grave.

As you say , it depends on the individual. Personally , I wouldn't make a special trip to see the shelves of a lot of people who are strangers to me and for whom I have no memories or connection. 

In fact , as I said in my post , we seldom make a special trip , especially as I now live in Thailand and the rest of my family have moved elsewhere. But if I am on holiday in the UK visiting friends in the area I also go to the grave .

It is not a question of needing a grave to remember someone ( something I never said ) it is just a pleasant place to go for quiet reflection, especially as the church there dates from the 12th century and is in the village of Harmondsworth. The old Five Bells pub is just by the cemetery entrance dating from 1871 and since it is on the way makes another nice place for reflection.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g1076991-d14791126-Reviews-The_Five_Bells-Harmondsworth_Greater_London_England.html

Everybody has different feelings about all sorts of things. Nobody is right or wrong it is just a matter of each individuals predilections.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well, it depends.

How did that come about? They must have urned it... is it tough to get in? I think my parents are adrift off the shore at Rockaway Beach.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Denim said:

The old Five Bells pub is just by the cemetery entrance dating from 1871 and since it is on the way makes another nice place for reflection.

Wow - they have chicken Kiev - had that in my youth in NYC at Jimmy's La Grange... it was spectacular and I have not had it since... and Jimmy was a character. He used to draw a picture on the tablecloth of how it was made... great showmanship.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

one of these Chinese cemeteries that are popping up all over Thailand.

I recently saw a Chinese cemetery outside of CM - why are so many popping up? Are they flying the bodies in? Land is not particularly cheap there in Doi Saket

55 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I recently saw a Chinese cemetery outside of CM - why are so many popping up? Are they flying the bodies in? Land is not particularly cheap there in Doi Saket

You ever tried buying land in China? A lot of Chinese wealth sloshing around and they want somewhere to put their dead so they can go visit.